Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1906527 times)

vansmack

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #1590 on: May 10, 2009, 02:15:51 am »
this is absolute GOLD, people.  i'm soooooooo topping up any amazon orders i make for the next while with this nugget - especially useful if you're just a few dollars short of free shipping.

i seriously doubt i'll ever be able to sit through the whole thing, tho.

Well, I sat through it with Smackette and the venerables.  I can assure you that the ladies did not appreciate it as much as me and venerable, but you have to sit through till the very end.  I don't want to ruin the ending, but let me just say the little guy gets the girl in the end.  Literally.

By far the best line in the movie was delivered by Kate Beckinsale's character to Matthew McConaughey:  "So you had a circle jerk with a bunch of little people? I would love to see that!"
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1591 on: May 11, 2009, 03:05:12 pm »
Poor Antonin....there's a great big world out there.  You should step out of your box and check it out sometime.

Justice Scalia Responds to Fordham Privacy Invasion
Wednesday, April 29, 2009 9:52 AM - By Kashmir Hill

Last week, we wrote about the Fordham law professor who assigned his information privacy law class to compile a dossier on Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia.

The professor had chosen Scalia as the target for privacy invasion because of the Justice's remarks at a January conference organized by the Institute of American and Talmudic Law. Scalia's views on the privacy of personal information online are summed up nicely by this quote:

"Every single datum about my life is private? That's silly," Scalia [said].

(And his views are summed up at greater length here by privacy expert and GW Law Professor Dan Solove.)

Professor Joel Reidenberg and his class now have a 15-page dossier on Scalia, including his home address, the value of his home, his home phone number, the movies he likes, his food preferences, his wife's personal e-mail address, and "photos of his lovely grandchildren."

We checked in with the Justice to see how he felt about his online information being aggregated and mined by the professor and his 15 students.

Scalia was far from pleased (though we were pleased that a Supreme Court Justice would honor Above The Law with a response). Here is Justice Scalia's response, in all its scathing glory:

I stand by my remark at the Institute of American and Talmudic Law conference that it is silly to think that every single datum about my life is private. I was referring, of course, to whether every single datum about my life deserves privacy protection in law.

It is not a rare phenomenon that what is legal may also be quite irresponsible. That appears in the First Amendment context all the time. What can be said often should not be said. Prof. Reidenberg's exercise is an example of perfectly legal, abominably poor judgment. Since he was not teaching a course in judgment, I presume he felt no responsibility to display any.

Reidenberg may have terrible judgment, but it's fairly impressive he managed to get bench-slapped by One First Street from a classroom at Fordham Law School.

UPDATE: Dan Solove, who is one of the legal establishment's foremost thinkers about privacy issues, has penned a response to this post over at Concurring Opinions: Justice Scalia's Dossier: Interesting Issues about Privacy and Ethics.

27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1592 on: May 12, 2009, 09:40:08 am »
Are you currently stockpiling Mountain Dew Flashback?
T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #1593 on: May 12, 2009, 11:59:19 am »

OK - here's the thing.  I went to Mexico for a week in February and weened myself off the Dew.  It's amazing what cerveza at 9 AM can do for you.

I haven't had a Mountain Dew since Feb. 20th.  Pepsi, obviously realizing the loss of my sales to their bottom line, has responded by tempting me with the original recipe - real sugar and no corn syrup!  How do I, on occasion a mere mortal, withstand such a move?

Venerable is currently holding a stash for me in case (to which he says "when") I change my mind.

I'm tempted to pick up this t-shirt, which I owned when I was like 10.

27>34

Venerable Bede

« Reply #1594 on: May 12, 2009, 03:44:25 pm »

Venerable is currently holding a stash for me in case (to which he says "when") I change my mind.

it's for scientific purposes. . .

i like it, i think i might go out and buy some more before pepsi stops selling them. . .although, if corn-based ethanol keeps getting subsidized, it may make sense for pepsi and coke to just go back to sugar anyway.  i still won't drink pepsi, but i'll buy mountain dew.
OU812

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1595 on: May 12, 2009, 03:50:34 pm »
corn on the cob = yummy
corn salsa = yummy
the corn lobby = not so yummy
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #1596 on: May 12, 2009, 05:46:28 pm »
There's never an egg timer around when you need one....

Sony CEO Howard Stringer on music: "If we had gone with open technology from the start, I think we probably would have beaten Apple"

It's not like I didn't recommend that repeatedly Howard.  It was even in my cover letter when I applied for your job!
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1597 on: May 13, 2009, 01:13:00 pm »
Hey smackie how dirty does this make you feel  ;)

http://www.chickenfoot.us/
T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #1598 on: May 13, 2009, 01:18:23 pm »
What the hell is Michael Anthony thinking?  He is dead to me, and I've basically had to look the other way for 30 years as it is....

I listened to 45 seconds max of each track.  Pure crap.  Worst Van Halen cover band ever.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1599 on: May 14, 2009, 05:07:42 pm »

For the record, my abstention from The Dew is officially over.  Damn you Throwback and Hockey - a lethal combination.  It's amazing how quickly my body remembered the original taste, although I will admit the first sip was a bit of a shock.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1600 on: May 18, 2009, 01:08:05 pm »
I still think the ZunePass @ $15 is a better deal because you can download the songs and take them with you on a non-iPod portable music player, but $5 for streaming their entire catalog plus 5 mp3 downloads per month is not bad for competition among the Win based music services:

Napster to Start $5 Music Service Tomorrow
27>34

Venerable Bede

« Reply #1601 on: May 28, 2009, 01:59:05 pm »
MTV's "The Real World" is reportedly looking for staff in the nation's capital -- tipping off that the next series of the famed reality show will be set there. 

also of note: That comes on the heels of news earlier this week that a long-rumored DC-version of "The Hills" is airing this summer.

The show, provocatively titled "Blonde Charity Mafia," will air on The CW.

Cameras follow three 20-something socialites as they conquer the Washington social scene.

bravo developing "real housewives of d.c."

""We're tapping personalities who are among Washington D.C.'s influential players, cultural connoisseurs, fashion sophisticates and philanthropic leaders - the people who rub elbows with the most prominent people in the country and easily move in the city's diverse political and social circles," said Bravo Media executive VP and GM Frances Berwick."
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #1602 on: June 01, 2009, 01:54:34 pm »
Anybody on here use or know anything about the new Napster service?

I use it (the $15 unlimited DRM with 10 DRM-free DL's a month).  I saw no need for the $5 streaming only with 5 DRM-free downloads.

What specifically would you like to know?
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1603 on: June 01, 2009, 06:26:04 pm »
X-box Live to offer 1080P video streaming/download

And for Kosmo, thy're also adding Last.fm and Wii-esque motion controllers
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1604 on: June 02, 2009, 12:24:11 am »
Kristin Cavallari is where reality shows go to die.  After The Hills fails, she will officially be the Ted McGinley of Reality TV.
27>34