Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1901968 times)

godsshoeshine

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #1605 on: June 02, 2009, 09:01:15 am »
i havent watched the finale of the hills yet, but i tend to agree. though i kind of liked her over lc during season one of laguna beach

like a total sucker i watched i'm a celebrity, get me out of here last night. spencer is AMAZING
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #1606 on: June 02, 2009, 12:25:10 pm »
I've already told Smackette that I won't watch next season, and this was before the preview for next season which follows the finale.

The thought of Kristin and Audrina following any plot line imaginable to stay relevant is beyond what I can stomach.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1607 on: June 02, 2009, 12:39:06 pm »
i said that once they started spoiling the season i us weekly and yet ive seen every episode since

just think they would have been better off turning spencer against audrina or something
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #1608 on: June 02, 2009, 12:40:44 pm »
just think they would have been better off turning spencer against audrina or something

Give them time....
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1609 on: June 02, 2009, 11:48:24 pm »
like a total sucker i watched i'm a celebrity, get me out of here last night. spencer is AMAZING

I watched tonight's episode and I hate to admit it but, I think Spencer and I would be good friends if we ever met.
27>34

walkonby

« Reply #1610 on: June 06, 2009, 11:07:43 am »
ok . . . i thought if i posted this question in here, either vansmack or someone else with the right on knowledge would help me.  here is my problem.

we have a strange house; very few phone jacks.  we first had high speed internet through the phone line into a dsl box into my computer.  not that long ago the phone company jacked up the speed of the connection big time, so i got wireless (and it works wonderful).  phone line into dsl router, dsl cord into wireless router.  i love technology!

i have a blu ray player that has a dsl port, so i can download extra features off the net and watch instant netflix and the such, but my player is downstairs while my routers (wireless/dsl) are upstairs.  there are no phone jack remotely close to where my tv/player setup is.

is there a way or some piece of hardware out there that will allow my blu ray player to receive wireless from its dsl port?  i know for computers there are those wireless (usb connection) things, but i need basically something that has a dsl cord connector that can go into my player that can catch wireless and allow my player to be hooked in.

i tried just hooking a dsl cord into my computer and the other end into the player while my computer was receiving wireless, thinking that the computer would act a "sort of dsl router" but it didn't seem to work.

i hope that made sense, and someone out there can help.  thanks!!

(sorry, no cat pictures included)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 11:10:20 am by walkonby »

vansmack

« Reply #1611 on: June 12, 2009, 01:02:10 pm »
Alright, now that I've had some time with it (and can now talk about it), I thought I'd give a brief review of the Palm Pre.

Bottom line - It's a very impressive phone, that on occasion left me with a little phone envy from my Touch Diamond.  Like all phones, it's not without it's faults, but given that it's a first stab, I'd say Palm gave themselves plenty of room to make this into the top 2-3 phones out there.

Light and sleek, the only downside to it's physical appearance is that it's a fingerprint magnet.  Otherwise, I love everything about it.  It's small enough to fit in mans pocket and for having a keyboard is extremely thin (HTC should take notice with it's touch pro line).

It uses gestures very smartly to navigate around the phone, but might have missed the boat by not including a soft keyboard (touchscreen) with a hard keyboard.  The good news is, the soft keyboard can always be added later and Palm should do just that.  There were a couple times (like when looking for a contact) that I would have like a soft keyboard rather than sliding down the hard keyboard.  If the SDK were out, this would be the first app I develpoed and sold for a dollar - I'd make enough to send a kid to college in the first week.  For all the posturing I did about not missing the hard keyboard, I typed about 65% faster in my tests with the hard keyboard than with my soft keyboard.  There's no more questioning that a hard keyboard is simply more efficient.

While not as powerful as my HTC Diamond for multitasking, it does handle multi-tasking much better than Windows Mobile.  MS should have never let this happen, but Palm did an amzing job of combining the navigation features of the iPhone with the multitasking of the WinMo phones into one amazingly simple and fairly powerful little computer.  It is so easy to switch between open applications on the Pre that I was visually upset when I got back to my WinMo phone and was switching applications.  By far the best feature of the phone that most people will take for granted.

It's not without it's faults though.  It's horrible with Exchange Server - there's about a 50% success rate of it configuring properly and no one has yet figured out why.  Palm promises a fix soon.  It worked with my server, but not with Smackette's work server, for example.

In addition, the App store is fairly light and Palm has been slow with the SDK.  Most importantly is that they have been slow with the Apps for the Professionals who put Palm on the map - medical professionals.  Doctors love Palm and not having the Doctor apps ready to go at launch was foolish.  They have an emulator that runs the classic PalmOS to run the old apps but it's $30, and it reminds doctors of how far Palm fell behind the iPhone.  Palm should subsidize the emulator until their app store has more than 18 programs ready, and really get those doctor apps to market.

It does have a lot of really cool features that are a little intircate to explain, so I'll just use one example of something built into the phone that I found most impressive.  During the testing, I left the phone connected to my Exchange Server, but it's smackette's primary phone so she keeps it during the day.  She was at work, but the phone knew that I had an appointment via Exchange.  Using GPS, the phone realized that the owner was nowhere near the meeting location and asked if the phone should send an email to all the particiapnts of the meeting letting them know that you were running behind, or just to my assistant (who I assigned during setup unbeknownst as to why).  She obviously declined because I was at the meeting, but it still displayed how much thought went in to making this phone.  There are so many little things like that that explain why Palm spent so much time developing the phone.

Kudos to Palm and, welcome back.       
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1612 on: June 12, 2009, 01:38:53 pm »
While not as powerful as my HTC Diamond for multitasking, it does handle multi-tasking much better than Windows Mobile. 

i'm a little confused by this... the Diamond *is* a WinMo machine.  so i'm reading "while not as powerful as my WinMo machine for multitasking, it does handle multi-tasking much better than WinMo."

In addition, the App store is fairly light and Palm has been slow with the SDK.  Most importantly is that they have been slow with the Apps for the Professionals who put Palm on the map - medical professionals. 

this was to be expected, as palm said they'd exercise tight control over the app store in order to ensure quality.  remains to be seen if users want quality over quantity.

thanks for sharing your thoughts, smax.  i'd definitely consider this phone if work wasn't forcing a blackberry on me.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #1613 on: June 12, 2009, 02:01:11 pm »
While not as powerful as my HTC Diamond for multitasking, it does handle multi-tasking much better than Windows Mobile. 

i'm a little confused by this... the Diamond *is* a WinMo machine.  so i'm reading "while not as powerful as my WinMo machine for multitasking, it does handle multi-tasking much better than WinMo."

Sorry I wasn't clear.

From the user experience, switching between applications is much easier, much more fluid, and much more intuitive with the Palm Pre.  With a WinMo phone, you minimize apps or close apps all together by hitting the X in the corner, or dropping down the windows menu.  With the Pre, hit the center button, and then you can scroll through open apps with left or right swipes - similar to how the iPhone handles the program menus - except this isn't to pick a new app.  It's go through already opened apps!  The speed with which you can switch between apps blows WInMo (which allows multitasking) and the iPhone (which currently doesn't, but will) out of the water.

All of that despite the processor in my Diamond being more powerful than the Pre's processor, which begs the question - how did MS let this happen?   

That's all I was getting at.
27>34

« Reply #1614 on: June 12, 2009, 02:19:06 pm »
Smackie, have you ever considered writing for Men's Health (whereas Julian is/was more of a Details kind of guy)?

vansmack

« Reply #1615 on: June 13, 2009, 12:48:45 pm »
Combine this with the unlock code (upupdowndownleftrightleftrightababstart - no joke by the way) and the possibilities of customizing this phone are endless....

Homebrew Pre firmware just a button, cable away?

If you were to put the Pre on a scale of hacker friendliness from 1 to 10, where 1 is the iPhone (remember how long it took for the first jailbreaks back in the day?) and 10 is, say, OpenMoko, we're starting to get the impression that Palm's latest effort falls somewhere way past the 5 mark. We got out first hint that they're being good sports about letting developers play with the Konami code access to developer mode, and now we've got news that it's easy -- nay, trivial -- to run whatever firmware you'd like on the phone. It seems all you've got to do is hold down the volume up key when connecting the Pre to your computer via USB, then you can flash the phone 'til you're blue in the face; even better, the enterprising dev who found the trick says that it's mega simple to modify the stock build and he'd wiped out the activation check with minimal effort. This can only be good news for tweakers and anyone wanting to walk off the App Catalog's beaten path...
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1616 on: June 14, 2009, 07:09:51 pm »
I'm moving this from the iPhone thread into my thread to continue this discussuon:

* This device would be more attractive with wide-area wireless networking

Hence the discussion with Verizon....

And by the way, that device is called a netbook.  Welcome to the game, Apple.

But if they're talking OQO style UMPC, might as well just buy that company and all their assets as they're in big trouble.  And at $2K per device, it's already in their price range, too.

Nonetheless, this techcrunch tablet prototype is my next device:

I'm told these will be out this year at some point and I've been invited to a Press Event in July to talk about them.  I'm licking my chops at the this point.

Engadget is reporting that the prototype's are out and they've replaced the plastic casing with an aluminum casing.  Might increase the price a little bit, but they should still be around $300.

See it in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP-0Nce5oTQ
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 07:17:30 pm by vansmack »
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1617 on: July 01, 2009, 12:44:14 pm »
oh and smackie, i told him you kind of liked the young pirates players the other day and he asked 'why?'

If I was in a keeper league, and I was out of the running at the end of the year (or more likely, had it locked up by Sept 15), I pick up Pedro Alvarez and reap the rewards for the next three years.

C - Doumit
1B - Adam LaRoche
2B - Sanchez
SS - Need a new cheaper shortstop
3B - Alvarez
OF - McClouth
OF - Nyger Morgan
OF - Dewlyn Young/Andrew McCutcheon/or slugger Jamie Romak

That's a damn good lineup that's also inexpensive and young (only two guys over 30).

That leaves us with pitching, that, as was displayed earlier this year, when they all have it together, they're tough:

Maholm
Duke
Snell
Gorzelany
Grabow
Ohrendorf
Karstens

Again, cheap and young, with a ton of upside.  They could be one good veteran teacher in the squad away from helping them turn the corner.  This team has the potential to be very good next season. 

I stand by what I said.  There is much to build on with that squad.  And the foundation comes up in September.

I take back everything I said about the Pirates.  I have no clue why I even bother to follow that squad....if they deal doumit as the rumors are indicating, I think my head may explode.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1618 on: July 01, 2009, 01:18:36 pm »
i cant believe they traded for lastings milladge
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #1619 on: July 01, 2009, 01:24:12 pm »
i cant believe they traded for lastings milladge

And to trade somebody who has become a really good leadoff hitter with a .360 OBP, nearing his career .290 average and on pace to score 90 runs and steal 40 bases - what else could you possibly want from a leadoff hitter?

You picked up a guy who couldn't crack the Nats starting lineup (couldn't even mkae the 25 man roster!) and a former closer who has no confidence.  Nice fucking job.
27>34