Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1315894 times)

Frosty Finger

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #5055 on: August 10, 2023, 01:27:44 pm »
I don’t really get the forgery or imitation accusation. We know the band is all different from back in the day. Not really a band even as I bet other than Homme they are all on retainers…

Every time a band gets up there it’s an act…that’s what a performance is…You ever seen AC/DC live? It’s super scripted and still incredible

You were at Pixies at Atlantis. Why is that not an imitation of early pixies with Kim?

Would it have been better if Homme had shot up onstage?

Band sounds tight…Dean Fertita is awesome…sound was crystal clear

Maybe you just don’t enjoy them live anymore but want to blame them?  Your review six years ago was sort of similar.

People coming out weren’t exactly complaining dude!

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #5056 on: August 10, 2023, 01:30:38 pm »
I mean, it’d be a good story for those of us who descended from our California sober, ivory towers to come see the poors sing and dance for our amusement. Let’s try it. Hey, Seth!
LVMH

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5057 on: August 10, 2023, 01:45:06 pm »

Realizing that Dean has essentially become the quintessential side man, I really wish he'd get back to his own songwriting.  The Waxwings first record "Low To The Ground" will always be one of my absolute favorites of all time and his hello=fire record is a worthy listen as well.
T.Rex

« Reply #5058 on: August 10, 2023, 01:51:37 pm »
Hmm, I was wondering why Hutch thought the sound was so good when I read this tidbit in Wikipedia

During the tour with the Raconteurs, Fertita got to know the band's sound man Hutch, who is also the long time sound man of Queens of the Stone Age
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5059 on: August 10, 2023, 01:58:57 pm »
of course i should have done my research because Dean released this record last year...

Tropical Gothclub out on Third Man Records

https://tropicalgothclub.bandcamp.com/album/tropical-gothclub
T.Rex

Frosty Finger

« Reply #5060 on: August 10, 2023, 02:13:28 pm »
I found myself thinking last night that QOTSA sounded a bit like Dead Weather!

bearman🐻

« Reply #5061 on: August 10, 2023, 02:49:29 pm »
I don’t really get the forgery or imitation accusation. We know the band is all different from back in the day. Not really a band even as I bet other than Homme they are all on retainers…

Every time a band gets up there it’s an act…that’s what a performance is…You ever seen AC/DC live? It’s super scripted and still incredible

You were at Pixies at Atlantis. Why is that not an imitation of early pixies with Kim?

Maybe you just don’t enjoy them live anymore but want to blame them?  Your review six years ago was sort of similar.

People coming out weren’t exactly complaining dude!

I don't expect anyone to agree with me...I WANTED to like it more than I did. I was genuinely excited and ready for a great show. I think the problem for someone like me is I recall the truly incredible shows where they melted my face off. The Warfield in 2003. 9:30 in 2005. Ram's Head in 2007. Bill Graham in 2014. I'm not expecting Josh to do something like shoot up on stage (although I'm sure GG Allin checked that box)...I think that being fucked up is kind of rude to fans paying good money to see you deliver a stellar show. I've seen him brag about all the different drugs he's on while he's on stage, whether it be coke or vicodin or whatever. Last night it was mushrooms. But when you're not in a good place with your life, it can show your performance. I'm probably more attuned to that energy because of how much I've seen them...I have a lot to compare it to. I wanted to have more fun than I did. That's that. I felt like I was watching someone attempt to cope with sadness. And the difference between that and the Pixies has nothing to do with original members vs. not. The question is can they still deliver a great performance...and from the smiles I saw coming from the Pixies, they still love what they do. In a recent interview, Josh said that music is his therapy and he doesn't talk to a shrink...instead he plays music. Not sure how I feel about that as a coping mechanism.

« Reply #5062 on: August 11, 2023, 09:04:55 pm »
That was a treat. 
Margo Price acoustic at the Kennedy Center
They moved it from Millienum Stage to the terrace theater...which was great as we got comfy seats ten rows back

Did a bunch of new and unreleased songs
touching cover of Joni's The Crow on the Cradle
and finished the night with a shout-out to Sugarman and Robbie with a cover of Evanigline

slack

K8teebug

« Reply #5063 on: August 14, 2023, 03:43:49 pm »
So glad you attended and enjoyed!

Bagley

« Reply #5064 on: August 14, 2023, 05:11:05 pm »
Just got back from the land of Sweets, as my virgin Pacific Northwest journey draws to a close.

I caught Mikaela Davis and her band at a small club in Seattle a couple Saturdays ago.  I thought we'd be treated to some Jerry covers since it was the Days Between but the closest we got was a China Cat Jam in the midst of one of her originals.  It was a wonderful performance so I was just a little diappointed.... Man can she play the harp! Nice vocals as well. The ethereal sounds of the plucked strings floated  with her self proclaimed "psychedelic americana" vibe.  Her band's very tight though the bass player appeared a bit overzealous during the jammy interludes.  This was the best "jam band" performance I've seen since well before covid. I can't undertstand why she's not more popular- the club was the size of the Atlantis and not sold out as far as I could tell. Oh and she's opening for the Mountain Goats on their next tour.

« Reply #5065 on: August 19, 2023, 12:52:07 pm »
Ok I’m giving the de-not-troit cobras
May god have mercy on my soul
I guess I was glad to support the remaining members of the band with my patronage and for decades, wanted to get a Cobras shirt
Marcus can wail but didn't have the stage presence and delivery Rachel had
The band sounded great, but was overall a fail and would not recommend

One good find was the opener: Sugar Tradition
They rocked hard and fast. Had a really great set and would definitely catch it again

The Runaway is a nice club and my first time there, would go again
slack

Frosty Finger

« Reply #5066 on: August 19, 2023, 09:09:36 pm »
Well as far as I know the only constants in the Cobras were Rachel Nagy and Mary Restrepo. The others were a revolving cast. Most important was Greg Cartwright.

It’s so sad…the last 10 plus years of Nagy’s life they hardly toured. Now that she’s gone I guess Mary can tour whenever she feels like.

I get it. Rachel was probably not in great shape a lot and maybe didn’t want to tour for personal reasons. But her voice was kind of the whole point so this is something to avoid.

I mean I think the Cobras last album was in 2007! We all want to turn back the clock but there is nothing to go back to here. You are better served listening to some Cobras you haven’t heard. Most people didn’t pay attention to their last couple of records. There are also some early recordings out there.

Bagley

« Reply #5067 on: August 24, 2023, 12:28:16 pm »
Great Shakti show at Wolftrap last night or as the opener Bela Fleck introduced them- The Mahavishnu Mountain Boys :)

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #5068 on: September 01, 2023, 08:56:40 am »
Pretenders last night at Atlantis.  1st time seeing them...been wanting to catch them forever, but never worked out.  I read the small club shows were not a greatest hit setlist so I familiarized myself with some of the newer songs.  Band sounded great, and Chrissie's voice sounded awesome, and she is a pretty good guitarist as well.  Setlist was tight and concise and flowed perfectly, old classics sounded fresh and even the new songs entertained.  Great show and very happy that my high expectations were met.

Yada

« Reply #5069 on: September 01, 2023, 09:18:03 am »
The question is... did the man hutch get in?