Author Topic: Motley Crue roll call!!!!  (Read 16152 times)

sonickteam2

Re: Motley Crue roll call!!!!
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2005, 05:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  And all of this proves their commonality with punk in which way....?

those are your numbers.  my point before you went to riaa.com were that, like punk, a lot of the early hair-metal bands started out only in small clubs in a small area (Motley doesnt have a NON california date until 1983!) playing to a small core fanbase. Til it got big anyway.

Living the life of drinking, drugs, women and loud music in tiny bars. they both liked leather no?

that was the point before we got into whether they were on headbangers ball early in thier career or not and when they got popular, which is the i assume, why you went to riaa.com.

ggw

« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2005, 05:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:
 those are your numbers.  my point before you went to riaa.com were that, like punk, a lot of the early hair-metal bands started out only in small clubs in a small area (Motley doesnt have a NON california date until 1983!) playing to a small core fanbase. Til it got big anyway.

Living the life of drinking, drugs, women and loud music in tiny bars. they both liked leather no?
Doesn't every band start in small clubs?

Jewel started out by living in her car and playing at small clubs only in So. Cal.  Is she punk?  Or, is she metal?

I guess you could say that Motley Crue has four guys, like a lot of punk bands.  They also have drums, guitar, and bass, like a lot of punk bands.

Beyond that, I still don't see the similarity you're talking about.

sonickteam2

« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2005, 05:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:

And all of this proves their commonality with punk in which way....?

yeah, my initial question was why the Crue were covering "Anarchy in the UK" when ....

i just always had the impression that early (76-77) punk bands like the sex pistols were out to kill glam rock and bombastic metal like queen and zep and had serious beef with big rock stars ... i guess the crue didn't come around until a bit later though ...

I'm not trying to call anyone out here, I'm just honestly curious as to why they'd cover that song when it seems like they're from completely different worlds and the Sex Pistols would hate Crue ... is there something i'm not seeing here? [/b]
ok, i have two things for that.

A) really, dont ever compare Motley Crue to Led Zeppelin.

B) by the time Motley Crue covered that song, heck, by the time Motley Crue FORMED , the Sex Pistols had already made thier one and only decent musical effort, and had been laid to rest, only to be worshipped for generations of fans who werent even alive when "Nevermind the Bullocks" was released, thinking they were one of the all-time great bands ever.

Why did Motley Crue cover Brownsville Station's "Smokin In The Boys Room"?  Why did they cover "Helter Skelter"?  i am sure the Beatles dont like em!  

but in reality, Motley Crue made many many more records than the Sex Pistols, partied just as hard, and just because they didnt die or something doesnt make them not worthy to sing a crappier bands songs (which they are feeding thier families on the royalties now)

and dont pretend that if the Sex Pistols would've stayed around that they wouldn't have been on MTV cause you know they would've....

now you can all flame me (except Rob i suppose)

sonickteam2

« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2005, 05:43:00 pm »
  Doesn't every band start in small clubs?

Jewel started out by living in her car and playing at small clubs only in So. Cal.  Is she punk?  Or, is she metal?

i hope you didnt pull a muscle on that Jewel stretch!!

i would explain further, but i honestly think even if you DID see the similarity (or at least enough of one to say they arent COMPLETELY different, which is really all i was trying to do) you would find a way to change the subject and disagree.  :)

sonickteam2

« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2005, 05:48:00 pm »

how about we try this,

whats the BIG difference.  what makes the early punk scene and the early hair metal scene completely 180 degrees different??

ggw

« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2005, 05:48:00 pm »
 Why did they cover "Helter Skelter"?
Will you now elucidate how the Beatles and Motley Crue are alike?

« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2005, 05:53:00 pm »
For starters, I don't think misogyny and homophobia were components of punk, as I sense them to be part of the hair metal scene.

how about we try this,

whats the BIG difference.  what makes the early punk scene and the early hair metal scene completely 180 degrees different?? [/b]

sonickteam2

« Reply #97 on: March 08, 2005, 05:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes, Japanese Golfer:
  For starters, I don't think misogyny and homophobia were components of punk, as I sense them to be part of the hair metal scene.

[/QB][/QUOTE]

thats a good one.  better than the nothing that ggw suggested.  :)

i dont know that punks in the 70s were really gay lovers though.

ggw

« Reply #98 on: March 08, 2005, 06:01:00 pm »
Motley Crue was all about getting laid, getting stoned, getting drunk, and making it "big."  (At least that is what I gleaned from Behind The Music.)

I'd say that the vast majority of punk bands were most certainly not driven by the desire to make it big.  Perhaps the Sex Pistols were the exception, but even there, it was more about publicity and sticking it in the face of "the man" more than about becoming a commercial success.

I don't think Jello, or Joey Ramone, or Joe Strummer or Greg Ginn or Darby Crash or Richard Hell were driven by a desire to build a pussy-shaped swimming pool.

whats the BIG difference.  what makes the early punk scene and the early hair metal scene completely 180 degrees different??

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #99 on: March 08, 2005, 06:02:00 pm »

how about we try this,

whats the BIG difference.  what makes the early punk scene and the early hair metal scene completely 180 degrees different?? [/b]
very simply put, i was always just under the impression that the early punk scene was out to "kill rock stars" (as a label so succintly put it) ... motley crue and hair metal (even though it wasn't around during the mid-late 70s) are the definition of "rock stars"

obviously the remaining pistol(s?) have completely sold out and aren't anything like what they used to be, so my point is kind of moot ... i guess now they're just all about the $$$, so who cares who covers what, if lydon made those comments above, then they're clearly not very different at all ... i can't see him saying that in 1977 though ...
(o|o)

« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2005, 06:05:00 pm »
So would you yourself more identify with the punks who were trying to stick it to "the man" or with the hair metal guys who were trying to "make it big?"

Motley Crue was all about getting laid, getting stoned, getting drunk, and making it "big."  (At least that is what I gleaned from Behind The Music.)

I'd say that the vast majority of punk bands were most certainly not driven by the desire to make it big.  Perhaps the Sex Pistols were the exception, but even there, it was more about publicity and sticking it in the face of "the man" more than about becoming a commercial success.

I don't think Jello, or Joey Ramone, or Joe Strummer or Greg Ginn or Darby Crash or Richard Hell were driven by a desire to build a pussy-shaped swimming pool.

[/b]

« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2005, 06:14:00 pm »

She's neither, she's synthetic.

ggw

« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2005, 06:14:00 pm »
Isn't that the essay question from the new SATs?

Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes, Japanese Golfer:
  So would you yourself more identify with the punks who were trying to stick it to "the man" or with the hair metal guys who were trying to "make it big?"

sonickteam2

« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2005, 06:44:00 pm »
  Motley Crue was all about getting laid, getting stoned, getting drunk, and making it "big."  
so punk bands didnt wanna make it big, but 3 out of 4 aint bad?  :)

I heard Johnny Lydon has a penis shaped swimming pool?