Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1901932 times)

vansmack

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #1575 on: April 22, 2009, 04:32:59 pm »
No sooner were we talking about this when Amazon and Tivo announce:

Amazon Video on Demand supports 5.1 surround on TiVo

So we were pretty bummed in our early testing of Amazon's newly HD-enabled Video On Demand service to find that it only streamed stereo audio instead of full 5.1 surround, but it looks like that's actually device-dependent -- we just tested it out on our TiVo HD, and movies play back in Dolby Digital 5.1. Yeah, that's still no Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD, but it's definitely a vast upgrade from the sad two channels we got off the Roku Video Player. So why the difference? The TiVo doesn't stream content like the Roku -- it actually downloads a video file and plays it locally from its hard drive. That means that in addition to surround audio, we also saw a pretty dramatic increase in picture quality -- not exactly Blu-ray, but at least on par with the Apple TV, which also downloads content locally first. Sure, downloading first means playback can be much slower to start, but we'll take the delay over a blocky image any day.

-------

What Engadget means by not exactly blu-ray but on par with Apple is that it was 720p and not 1080p.  DirecTV is allowing for 1080p downloads that match Blu-ray quality visually (and I think Dish Network is too), but I'm not sure if the DL's are DolbyHD.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 04:42:11 pm by vansmack »
27>34

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #1576 on: April 22, 2009, 05:40:15 pm »
I?ve got a really nice sound system to go along with my really nice display ? the high-def audio codecs contained in Blu-ray discs make a huge difference to me?possibly more than the much improved picture over DVD?.depending on the film though

I'd agree with that.  But the 5.1 surround codec comes with the HD download as well.  I have yet to make the 7.1 jump yet as there is not enough on the market in my eyes to justify the jump, but I eventually will.  By the time I do, I'm sure the 7.1 codec will be in the download (if it's not already - I haven't checked in a while).

One of the main differences I've noticed with newer DVD/Blu-Ray players is when folks use an optical cable the player itself selects the correct audio out codec (Dolby D, Dolby EX, Dolby Pro Logic, DTS etc.) and your stereo adjusts accordingly.  That makes a huge difference in the sound quality, especially for those that don't take the time to fully understand their equipment.  The quality was probably always there, the user just didn't know it.  Now it's nearly fool proof.   
I don't use 7.1....very few releases have 7.1 soundracks to them as you said.  7.1 is usually achieved by the receiver or pre/pro overlaying some sort of addtional processing on top of the exitsting 5.1 stream. 

What i'm referring to are the Dolby Digital HD and DTS HD Master soundtracks that are included on most blu-ray disks.  These codecs can't be passed over digital toslink or digital coax connections - not enough bandwidth.  They must be travel via bitstream over HDMI to a reciever or pre/pro that can decode the codecs.  If the receiver or pre/pro can't decode the format your not dead yet.....but you'd need a blu ray play that can decode them natively and then (not all can) output them via PCM over HDMI, or even over 5.1 analog outs to the receiver or pre pro, but analog is not as good because then all bass management options must be set on the player and these options are very limited on most BR players.

If you haven't heard the new codecs on good equipment and you're into this stuff and have the $$ to make it happen, you won't be dissapointed ;D

*edit - saw your previous post after i posted this.  In short though, the quality i've come to enjoy via BR disk is not avialalble via yet from any download service.  Someday soon, but not yet.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 05:44:51 pm by chaz »

vansmack

« Reply #1577 on: April 22, 2009, 06:02:02 pm »
*edit - saw your previous post after i posted this.  In short though, the quality i've come to enjoy via BR disk is not avialalble via yet from any download service.  Someday soon, but not yet.

This is absolutely correct.  Even the DirecTV 1080p movies are not Blu-Ray quality because the bit-rates are starved, but it's not enough to justify buying a BR player in my eyes because it's still a huge improvement over the current DVD standard (480i/p).  I was unaware of the the need for HDMI for the HD sound codecs though - thanks for the heads up.  I will definitely check that out.  What I am wondering now is if the DirecTV DVR or the X-Box 360 can natively decode them - I'm doubting it, but I will find out.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1578 on: April 22, 2009, 06:06:03 pm »
What I am wondering now is if the DirecTV DVR can natively decode them - I'm doubting it, but I will find out.

That didn't take long (I know people):

"They will never do 7.1 or any of the new HD audio formats as Dolby Digital 5.1 is the max the chipsets in the receivers can handle."

27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1579 on: April 23, 2009, 08:04:53 pm »
CHARLIE "CHALO" QUINTANA LEAVING SOCIAL D AFTER 10 YEARS

After ten amazing years behind the drum kit for Social Distortion, Charlie "Chalo" Quintana has announced he's moving on to explore other musical opportunities. Charlie had this to say about his departure, "Playing with Social D for ten years was a good time in my life. I was lucky to play on two Social D records and the second solo album, and I am proud to have been part of the band. We hit some spectacular heights which I will never forget - adios amigos!"

Filling Charlie's big shoes is none other than Atom Willard. You've probably seen Atom wailing on the skins with Rocket From The Crypt, The Offspring, or his most recent band Angels & Airwaves. We couldn't be more thrilled to welcome such a great talent and individual into the band. Atom's first show with Social D will be the Jay Thomas benefit on May 18 at the House Of Blues Anaheim.

27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1580 on: April 27, 2009, 01:19:27 pm »

Spencer Pratt and Heidi Montag smooched after tying the knot Saturday in in Pasadena, Calif.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #1581 on: April 27, 2009, 01:20:40 pm »
I loved the headline:

Spencer Pratt and Heidi Montag Married.  Again.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1582 on: April 27, 2009, 07:24:42 pm »
I'm consulting on the installation of my first Kaleidescape system and I'm completely blown away.

For those that don't know, it's a rack style media server for the uber-wealthy that will store DVD's, Blu-ray and music on detachable HDDs that plays back on individual players throughout your home.

It's a ridiculously expensive system (this complete A/V installation is almost $200K, of which almost $30K is on the Kaleidescape system alone) and as much as I've tried to emulate what the Kaleidescape does, I've never come close to the ease of use and robust power of this thing.  I still think it's way too expensive, but if I were ridiculously rich I would scrap my piecemeal approach and do this without hesitation.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1583 on: May 01, 2009, 04:21:12 pm »
I don't know how I ever missed this movie coming out, but if my local Blockbuster has it, I will be reviewing it by the end of the weekend:

Tiptoes, starring Gary Oldman, Kate Beckinsale, Matthew McConaughey and Patricia Arquette.

Don't miss the Trailer.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1584 on: May 01, 2009, 04:54:52 pm »
Tiptoes

Don't miss the Trailer.

I've already purchased 5 copies of "TipToes" and sent them to unsuspecting friends.   Copies are .99 cents used at Amazon.

I hope to make this the Rick Roll of 2009.

27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1585 on: May 02, 2009, 04:02:38 pm »
Tiptoes

Don't miss the Trailer.

I've already purchased 5 copies of "TipToes" and sent them to unsuspecting friends.   Copies are .99 cents used at Amazon.

I hope to make this the Rick Roll of 2009.

this is absolute GOLD, people.  i'm soooooooo topping up any amazon orders i make for the next while with this nugget - especially useful if you're just a few dollars short of free shipping.

i seriously doubt i'll ever be able to sit through the whole thing, tho.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1586 on: May 04, 2009, 01:28:50 pm »
dear smax,

just 'cause i know you're not sleeping well thanks to playoff hockey, i thought i'd re-kindle an old favorite topic of yours:

Pakistan deal with Taliban 'collapses' as convoy is attacked

there ya go - now you have something to talk about to pass the sleepless hours... or another source of insomnia.  for me it's the latter.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #1587 on: May 04, 2009, 01:54:10 pm »
I did in fact wake up both yesterday and today in the middle of the night for a glass of water and silent reflection.  I'm sure the Stanley Cup is playing a part in that.

Unfortunately, now that this forum is searchable, I will  have to refrain from any further comment on foreign affairs as per an agreement with a previous employer.  That's why I have been silent on many issues in the new forum and my thread has become rather dull in my eyes.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1588 on: May 07, 2009, 12:45:14 am »
Smackie always dreamed of the day Gwen Stefani would have a rack.  Smackie doesn't care if she's almost 40, she's as beautiful as she was when he saw her at 16. 

Smackie purchased tickets tonight for her tour, and upgraded from the lawn to the pit.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1589 on: May 09, 2009, 01:46:57 pm »
i thought i'd re-kindle an old favorite topic of yours:

Pakistan deal with Taliban 'collapses' as convoy is attacked

there ya go - now you have something to talk about to pass the sleepless hours... or another source of insomnia.  for me it's the latter.

Karzai and Zadari will be on Meet the Press tomorrow morning and I'm looking forward to it.
27>34