Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3246203 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #3465 on: September 08, 2013, 03:33:16 pm »
Probably none.

Apologies for my inebriated snarkiness.

Is there really any difference between your inebriated snarkiness and your sober snarkiness?

medeski7

« Reply #3466 on: September 08, 2013, 05:45:38 pm »
I've never gone to zwanze day or been to church key.  Trying to figure out when to go, what to expect, cost, and any other details.  Any advice on when to try to avoid the rush and how best get the full experience is greatly appreciated.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3467 on: September 08, 2013, 07:52:49 pm »
stay at home.  drink good beer.  dance around the place in your underpants.  listen to killer music.  drink more good beer.  invite friends over.  impress.  and no depress, from the drive home dui blues.  oh wait a minute . . . was i speaking out loud again.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3468 on: September 08, 2013, 10:01:18 pm »
I've never gone to zwanze day or been to church key.  Trying to figure out when to go, what to expect, cost, and any other details.  Any advice on when to try to avoid the rush and how best get the full experience is greatly appreciated.

get there early.  i've never been, but i'd expect crowds to be manageable early on.  cost will depend on how much you want to drink.  you can spend $4 on a few tasters, or you can go nuts, get your drink on, and hope that you get out of there with only a $40 bill.
<sig>

fatskippy

« Reply #3469 on: September 09, 2013, 09:25:09 am »

Last year you needed to be there before they opened at about 11:45 to get a seat at the bar, a bit after 12 to get one of the last tables. It will probably be even more crowded this year. You need to preorder your glass of Zwanze when you get there. Churchkey gets packed regularly, but this was the worst I'd seen it. I will never go back for Zwanze Day unless they sell limited tickets beforehand, its not worth it.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3470 on: September 09, 2013, 02:54:57 pm »
see . . . my big fat mouth, told you so.

smakawhat

« Reply #3471 on: September 09, 2013, 04:32:56 pm »

I've been twice, it's getting crazy every year.

Show up before the place opens, trust me...

James Ford

« Reply #3472 on: September 10, 2013, 09:03:02 am »
Wow, smakawhat, prolific beer reviewer from beer advocate, graces us with his presence.

Jim Koch is a billionaire:

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/sam-adams-maker-is-billionaire-on-craft-beer-surge-Okz86qrDQd2ZNbrJhS6_8A.html

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3473 on: September 10, 2013, 09:43:37 am »
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3474 on: September 10, 2013, 08:01:11 pm »
Sitting here in Boston, just ran the Charles, enjoying an Ithica Flower Power :)

medeski7

« Reply #3475 on: September 10, 2013, 10:49:07 pm »
I'm bailing on zwanze day.  Too much to do that morning and I called ckdc to hear no reserved space of any kind.  I'm sure the beer is great, but that's just too much hassle on an already busy day.

On another note I started looking into Milkhouse Brewery.  It's Maryland's first farm brewery.  They now have five beers and do growlers.  I'm thinking o of checking it out.  I love the farm to table beer idea.

atomic

« Reply #3476 on: September 11, 2013, 10:56:48 am »
Just got back from Bavaria and the beer as you would expect was absolutely amazing.  Drinking beer in 1 liter servings with a pretzel under the trees outside can't be beat.  Highlights would be in Munchen the Augistiner Beer Garden and drinking the Nockherberger beer that is only available at the beer hall at the Paulaner Brewery.  Or doing a  little hike up a mountain and there being 3 beer gardens at the top.  Or going to a castle and there being 4 places to get a draft.  Helles, Dunkel, or Weis Beir all tasty.  I went to the Ettal Monastry and had some brews as well.  The beer in Salzburg weren't as good. Stiegl and Gosser not as tasty.  Hacker Pschor's Helles wasn't the best.  But their Dunkel is tasty.  Everything else was outstanding. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 11:03:13 am by atomic »

Yada

« Reply #3477 on: September 11, 2013, 04:20:06 pm »
Church key as of 420 is not packed and tables are available.  :o

shemptiness

« Reply #3478 on: September 11, 2013, 04:26:07 pm »

atomic

« Reply #3479 on: September 11, 2013, 06:35:08 pm »
Max's German beer fest is sept. 20 to 22.  60 German beers on draft.  German food.  I will be there