Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243085 times)

stevewizzle

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #4380 on: April 09, 2014, 01:52:33 pm »
What a drag beer prices are in MoCo.

Parabola is in at a local shop and they're charging $29!!!! a bottle... f'n lolz.

... is it selling?

when places like that price gouge that bad, i find new stores and never look back.  but i've realized that for every customer these places lose, a new craft beer nerd emerges as a sucker and willfully supports the business.  it's an ugly portrait for the future...

Yada

« Reply #4381 on: April 09, 2014, 01:55:56 pm »
What a drag beer prices are in MoCo.

Parabola is in at a local shop and they're charging $29!!!! a bottle... f'n lolz.

... is it selling?

when places like that price gouge that bad, i find new stores and never look back.  but i've realized that for every customer these places lose, a new craft beer nerd emerges as a sucker and willfully supports the business.  it's an ugly portrait for the future...

To be honest, I don't buy beer in MoCo unless it's at my local corner store and not a craft brew, but I follow them on social media and gave them a ring when I saw they posted that they have it.

Yada

« Reply #4382 on: April 11, 2014, 04:13:58 pm »
How does this dump win this award every year? They're undoubtedly stuffing the ballot box.

This is the place that was selling Parabola for $29 a bottle and in general, has a very mediocre selection of beer.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/bestofdc/poll/goodsandservices/2014/best-place-to-buy-beer

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4383 on: April 11, 2014, 04:19:12 pm »
Yeah, that doesn't make a damn bit of sense.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4384 on: April 15, 2014, 10:06:51 am »
apologies if this has already been posted in one of those baseball threads:

Washington Nationals Starting Firkin Fridays
3 Apr

On the eve of the Washington Nationals home opener, it?s no surprise that DC has beer and baseball on the brain.

For the first time, the Washington Nationals are serving cask-conditioned beer at the stadium through the Firkin Friday program. At every Friday home game, two firkins from local DC-area breweries will be served at the Red Porch bar. The firkins will rotate between yours truly, DC Brau, Atlas, 3 Stars, Mad Fox, and Port City.

A cask of our Pale Ale with blood orange peel will be tapped tomorrow as the Nats take on the Atlanta Braves. Here?s our remaining schedule:

May 16 vs. New York Mets
July 4 vs. Chicago Cubs
August 15 vs. Pittsburgh Pirates
September 26 vs. Seattle Marlins

Also new this year are 16-oz cans of Snake Dog IPA, a package available exclusively to area stadiums including Oriole Park at Camden Yards, Nationals Park, Harry Grove Stadium (home of the Frederick Keys), and Prince George?s Stadium (home of the Bowie Baysox).

http://flyingdogbrewery.com/washington-nationals-starting-firkin-fridays/
<sig>

stevewizzle

« Reply #4385 on: April 15, 2014, 04:14:32 pm »
How does this dump win this award every year? They're undoubtedly stuffing the ballot box.

This is the place that was selling Parabola for $29 a bottle and in general, has a very mediocre selection of beer.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/bestofdc/poll/goodsandservices/2014/best-place-to-buy-beer

i went in there last year when they won that award and they gave 20% off the whole store because of it.  which made everything priced the same as all other stores in the area.  asked the guy for a couple of recommendations and he rifled through his short-list of most expensive bottles he has and had nothing to say about any of them. never went back.

Yada

« Reply #4386 on: April 15, 2014, 04:33:55 pm »

i went in there last year when they won that award and they gave 20% off the whole store because of it.  which made everything priced the same as all other stores in the area.  asked the guy for a couple of recommendations and he rifled through his short-list of most expensive bottles he has and had nothing to say about any of them. never went back.

Seriously, it's beyond a joke. They're running that special again today to celebrate their great success, lol!!!

In other news, not sure how I never tried it, but I had a few drafts of Great Lakes Chill Wave over the weekend and it was quite delicious.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4387 on: April 15, 2014, 04:37:24 pm »
I bought a case of Bells Oberon. That is all.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #4388 on: April 15, 2014, 05:06:07 pm »

Sorry to hear that, sir.

« Reply #4389 on: April 15, 2014, 05:08:19 pm »

Sorry to hear that, sir.
The box is pretty, and it's from Michigan.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 05:49:40 pm by Julian, Community ORGANIZER »
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4390 on: April 15, 2014, 10:08:12 pm »
while i'm no longer in love with Oberon like i used to be, it's a damn fine hot weather beer.  i prefer belgian witbier as my summer thirst quencher but if none is around i'll reach for an oberon.

also, it comes in a pretty box.
<sig>

« Reply #4391 on: April 15, 2014, 10:10:22 pm »
also, it comes in a pretty box.
AND it's from Michigan!
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #4392 on: April 16, 2014, 09:15:05 am »
Decent list.

http://www.thrillist.com/drink/washington-dc/adams-morgan/best-craft-beer-bars-in-washington-dc

I have to say the addition of City Tap House in that part of town has been great. I started my evening there last night with an Allagash Tap Takeover.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4393 on: April 16, 2014, 11:11:27 am »
decent list indeed!

they completely missed the dupont beer nexus, tho: scion, pizza p, big hunt, and GBD.  hell, i once walked into DGS deli thinking it was GBD (it's like 2 doors down), and they had BCBS on tap!
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #4394 on: April 16, 2014, 11:16:24 am »
decent list indeed!

they completely missed the dupont beer nexus, tho: scion, pizza p, big hunt, and GBD.  hell, i once walked into DGS deli thinking it was GBD (it's like 2 doors down), and they had BCBS on tap!

I've never been to their Dupont pick, so I can't comment on it? Any good? I haven't been there since it was the Brickskellar.