Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243062 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #5715 on: August 20, 2015, 01:03:40 pm »
cucumber beer is a real thing: i've seen cucumber saison, cucumber gose, cucumber berliner wiesse... i don't believe i've tasted any, tho.
Square One cucumber vodka is a trend that came and went far too fast. I always stock a bottle for martini hour.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5716 on: August 20, 2015, 01:05:26 pm »
The issue I find with even the really good Gose offerings is you can drink one, maybe two? No way in hell am I drinking a six pack of Westbrook Gose.

westbrook is an outlyer - it is really tart for the style.  it's like saying you don't like IPAs because you don't like Bitter Valentine, Hop Stoopid, or some other extreme 100+ IBU example.  

have you tried the Victory's Kirsch Gose?  talk about crushable... i could definitely work through a sixer of that on a hot afternoon (yes, Rhett, some people can drink more than 2 beers a day...)

There on the shelf was a box of Stickee Monkey...at $24 I had to pass...

that's too much, but daaaaaaaaamn it's a good beer.  it's a desert beer in my books but the missus would drink it all day long (well, at long as she could... at 13%, one hits the limit pretty quick).  i was lucky enough to be in CA in june when this was released and was able to score a few bottles from BevMo for $15. 

i can't think of a single FW boxed beer that i won't buy as many of as i can.  apparently the Helldorado isn't quite worth the price of admission, but i haven't seen it around here.
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #5717 on: August 20, 2015, 01:24:53 pm »
The issue I find with even the really good Gose offerings is you can drink one, maybe two? No way in hell am I drinking a six pack of Westbrook Gose.

westbrook is an outlyer - it is really tart for the style.  it's like saying you don't like IPAs because you don't like Bitter Valentine, Hop Stoopid, or some other extreme 100+ IBU example.  

have you tried the Victory's Kirsch Gose?  talk about crushable... i could definitely work through a sixer of that on a hot afternoon (yes, Rhett, some people can drink more than 2 beers a day...)

that's too much, but daaaaaaaaamn it's a good beer.  it's a desert beer in my books but the missus would drink it all day long (well, at long as she could... at 13%, one hits the limit pretty quick).  i was lucky enough to be in CA in june when this was released and was able to score a few bottles from BevMo for $15. 

i can't think of a single FW boxed beer that i won't buy as many of as i can.  apparently the Helldorado isn't quite worth the price of admission, but i haven't seen it around here.

Absolutely... been chirping about Kirsch Gose all summer. I think the most I've drank is three... but yea, that beer is incredible. I actually have one last four pack left. ;0(

Yada

« Reply #5718 on: August 20, 2015, 02:10:42 pm »

slappy

« Reply #5719 on: August 20, 2015, 02:17:13 pm »

Absolutely... been chirping about Kirsch Gose all summer. I think the most I've drank is three... but yea, that beer is incredible. I actually have one last four pack left. ;0(

I dig a Gose but am surprised nobody every says anything about it being so similar to some kinds of Kombucha.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5720 on: August 20, 2015, 02:36:16 pm »
http://denizensbrewingco.com/first-annual-make-it-funky-fest/

nice.  but gordon biersch makes a funky beer? 

edit: did a search, apparently they've made goses and berliners years ago... makes sense, they're german styles.
<sig>

gavroche

« Reply #5721 on: August 20, 2015, 02:43:26 pm »

I dig a Gose but am surprised nobody every says anything about it being so similar to some kinds of Kombucha.

I totally agree with this, it's what got me to brew my first batch of Kombucha.

Space Freely

« Reply #5723 on: August 20, 2015, 03:55:05 pm »
The [DC-Beer] listserv is all on fire about where to get cucumber beer.  Is this for real, or is it like asparagus water?

I had the Cigar City Cucumber Ale. It was drinkable, but not something beyond that.

Space Freely

« Reply #5724 on: August 20, 2015, 03:57:26 pm »

I passed on the Helldorado too, elsewhere at $17. By that point I had a few too many other West Coast beers purchased for the return trip.

Space Freely

« Reply #5725 on: August 20, 2015, 03:59:55 pm »

I *can* drink six beers in a day too, but I sure don't feel 100% the next day. And why would I want to feel less than 100%?

And you can't drink a six pack of Kirsch Gose because it comes in a four pack.  ;D

« Reply #5726 on: August 20, 2015, 04:52:24 pm »
Ian F'n BeerKay over here
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #5727 on: August 20, 2015, 04:56:52 pm »
Pumpking now out, in four packs this year, for anyone whose taste is so bad that they actually still drink the vile swill known as pumpkin beer.

« Reply #5728 on: August 20, 2015, 05:10:11 pm »
southern tier's other pumpkin beer, Warlock is one of my all time favorites
scrumptious Imperial Stout

but at $9 a bomber, I've been laying off this year

starting to use the oz/abv per $ (created Space) computation lately and its getting me sad
oh the days when all the dollars were mine and I could spend them freely
slack

« Reply #5729 on: August 20, 2015, 05:14:08 pm »
southern tier's other pumpkin beer, Warlock is one of my all time favorites
scrumptious Imperial Stout

actually haven't tried 2015
just read
that the newest batch, at 10% ABV, is drastically different than the previous ones listed here as 8.6%
so not sure how this one is
slack