Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1315049 times)

Cock Van Der Palm

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #5265 on: February 19, 2024, 06:47:57 pm »
Billy Strings - night 3 in Asheville. 
Notes:
BMFS! 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5266 on: February 20, 2024, 01:54:08 pm »
took the missus to see Madonna sunday night.  GURL.  the 10pm start wasn't a big hit with 50% of the representatives from casa de sweetcell in attendance, but the freak show that showed up at the arena didn't seem to mind.  mads had the heat turned up, literally: it was like bigram yoga in there.  stage ops/tech was amazing, dancers were great, mads is definitely getting on in years because try as she did, she can't quite move like she used to - but still puts on one hell of a show (as long as you're ok with over the top...).  biggest complaint was the sound, specifically the subs.  there was no band, other than one performer who played an acoustic on 2-3 numbers, she played guitar twice, and madonna's daughter who played a piano interlude, all music was canned.  the music was all EDM remixes/electro-heavy, and that low end was just too loud and distorted.  some rumbles made my stomach jump, it was unsettling.  if i want that, i'll go to a Front 242 show.  anyhoo, the missus walked outta there totally high on girl power and that alone made it worth it.  the end.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #5267 on: February 20, 2024, 02:31:02 pm »
I took my "missus" to the Howard Theater for the Jamilla Woods show FRiday night.

First time at the Howard. She commented that it looked like the 9:30 Club, but nicer. She thought the music was very good, but the sounf was only ok. She must have enjoyed Jamilla, because during the opening act she was complaining that she might have to go find a seat somewhere. But she made it to the end, though she complained multiple times, wondering aloud about why would like standing in a sea of people to see live music. Emphasis on the standing part.

lI enjoyed the show. Solid B. Similiar to Erykah Badu. Diverse crowd, but not too crowded. Lots of women, which made it easier to see the stage. I had done a five mile run and a two mile walk earlier in the day, so my knees hurt like hell and legs were stiff. No complaints on my part, I'm more the suffer in silence type.

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #5268 on: February 20, 2024, 04:54:02 pm »
Except the part where you literally complain about the pain in your knees and legs.

No complaints on my part, I'm more the suffer in silence type.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5269 on: February 20, 2024, 06:02:28 pm »
Except the part where you literally complain about the pain in your knees and legs.

No complaints on my part, I'm more the suffer in silence type.

to be fair, the complaining was done in silence - i doubt he dictated this text out loud to a typist (i'm of the opinion that his clicks of the keyboard didn't interrupt the silence).
<sig>

nkotb

« Reply #5270 on: February 21, 2024, 11:19:50 am »
Another great Blonde Redhead set last night.  Almost identical to the setlist from the DC show back in November, but given I hadn't seen them in 20 years or so and i love the Ottobar, I didn't really mind.  Not a band that I would say "they seem like they're having fun up there" but they actually seemed to be having a great time, and even cracked a few smiles.

Also a rumor around town that boygenius was in attendance, which is weird, but does explain all of the staff kind of being weird at the end of the show.  Seemed like something was going on.

Yada

« Reply #5271 on: February 21, 2024, 01:47:09 pm »
It's been at least 10+ years since I last saw Cat Power... The captivating singer-songwriter known for her emotive performances, took fans on a journey through the timeless music of Bob Dylan at The "sold out" Lincoln Theatre. In a heartfelt tribute to the legendary folk icon, Cat Power breathed new life into Dylan's iconic songs, showcasing her own unique interpretation while paying homage to his enduring legacy.

From the moment Cat Power took to the stage, her reverence for Dylan's music was palpable. As she's always been, quite awkward on stage and battling either a cold or a smoker's cough, she sounded amazing. Anyone familiar with the legendary Dylan album will know the first half of the show was acoustic. A few amazing highlights, but by the end of that set, the electric set was welcome. Her band was smokin' and I would hope that she'd maybe continue to use them for other tours/albums.

Cat Power's tribute concert to Bob Dylan at The Lincoln Theatre was a masterful showcase of two iconic artists coming together in perfect harmony. With her soulful voice, impeccable musicianship, and deep respect for Dylan's legacy, Cat Power delivered a performance that honored the past while embracing the future, leaving an indelible mark on everyone fortunate enough to be in attendance.

Anyone that knows her history and checkered past would be happy to see her sobriety adding a positive element to her performance. She still seems completely uncomfortable on stage, especially during the acoustic set but what a great true artist. She didn't get very political but alluded to multiple struggles in the world and to keep our chins up! She would definitely battle hutch on his vast knowledge of middle eastern history. Even as a broke artist, she recently donated 50k for the use of her cover in a superbowl ad to children of the Congo.

If hutch wasn't giving us all the silent treatment, I'd like this thoughts on the "sold out" show at The Lincoln. This show sold out supposedly probably a month ago as I'd been monitoring available seats and prices... I ended up snagging two suite tickets about three weeks ago for under face and then prices dramatically shot up. However, in the last few days, entire rows opened up which ended up completely empty during the show. Ms. Marshall even encouraged audience members to move up and take the seats.

The pre show 40 layer lasanga at L'Ardente was excellent. Parking was also very simple right on 11th!

Also, any show that starts at 7pm and is over by 9pm gets extra bonus points.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 01:56:53 pm by Yada »

Bagley

« Reply #5272 on: February 21, 2024, 05:49:49 pm »
^ This is one big reason why I keep coming back here.  Thanks Yada for the erudite summation.  Glad you enjoyed.

gavroche

« Reply #5273 on: February 21, 2024, 06:27:58 pm »
It's been at least 10+ years since I last saw Cat Power... The captivating singer-songwriter known for her emotive performances, took fans on a journey through the timeless music of Bob Dylan at The "sold out" Lincoln Theatre. In a heartfelt tribute to the legendary folk icon, Cat Power breathed new life into Dylan's iconic songs, showcasing her own unique interpretation while paying homage to his enduring legacy.

From the moment Cat Power took to the stage, her reverence for Dylan's music was palpable. As she's always been, quite awkward on stage and battling either a cold or a smoker's cough, she sounded amazing. Anyone familiar with the legendary Dylan album will know the first half of the show was acoustic. A few amazing highlights, but by the end of that set, the electric set was welcome. Her band was smokin' and I would hope that she'd maybe continue to use them for other tours/albums.

Cat Power's tribute concert to Bob Dylan at The Lincoln Theatre was a masterful showcase of two iconic artists coming together in perfect harmony. With her soulful voice, impeccable musicianship, and deep respect for Dylan's legacy, Cat Power delivered a performance that honored the past while embracing the future, leaving an indelible mark on everyone fortunate enough to be in attendance.

Anyone that knows her history and checkered past would be happy to see her sobriety adding a positive element to her performance. She still seems completely uncomfortable on stage, especially during the acoustic set but what a great true artist. She didn't get very political but alluded to multiple struggles in the world and to keep our chins up! She would definitely battle hutch on his vast knowledge of middle eastern history. Even as a broke artist, she recently donated 50k for the use of her cover in a superbowl ad to children of the Congo.

If hutch wasn't giving us all the silent treatment, I'd like this thoughts on the "sold out" show at The Lincoln. This show sold out supposedly probably a month ago as I'd been monitoring available seats and prices... I ended up snagging two suite tickets about three weeks ago for under face and then prices dramatically shot up. However, in the last few days, entire rows opened up which ended up completely empty during the show. Ms. Marshall even encouraged audience members to move up and take the seats.

The pre show 40 layer lasanga at L'Ardente was excellent. Parking was also very simple right on 11th!

Also, any show that starts at 7pm and is over by 9pm gets extra bonus points.

Wow, I could have done the Cat Power Brittany Howard double if I'd know about the timing. Unfortunately, I already had tickets to the Brittany Howard show when this one came around and I couldn't be bothered to try to get to the second night instead.

nkotb

« Reply #5274 on: February 25, 2024, 01:26:32 am »
Took my son to see Portugal. The Man tonight. They covered part of Dopesmoker and Killing In The Name. The rest was fine

Vas Deferens

« Reply #5275 on: February 25, 2024, 03:07:26 pm »
U got a deal on stubhub Yada?
(_|_)

Yada

« Reply #5276 on: February 25, 2024, 05:29:25 pm »

Wouldn't cal it a deal, but under face and a great seat.

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #5277 on: February 25, 2024, 11:54:43 pm »
Talk to Space re: Stubhub pointers. 

Wouldn't cal it a deal, but under face and a great seat.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #5278 on: February 29, 2024, 01:42:55 am »
I forgot how much I love Alison Mosshart.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #5279 on: February 29, 2024, 09:28:38 am »
I forgot how much I love Alison Mosshart.
If you think that's bad, I forgot who Alison Mosshart even was!
LVMH