Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3244970 times)

Yada

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #3330 on: August 20, 2013, 01:32:27 pm »
Can anyone confirm if Wings is readily available at all times now at DC Brau?
a lot of the hype seems to have died down now that it is a semi regular release so you have a reasonable chance of getting it any time although it could be anything from days old to 8 weeks old based on what I know about their schedule

Interesting, thanks...

people out here in the sticks all of sudden are coming out of the sticks to root for them.  good lord, i see so much nationals merch all over people and kids and dogs and cats and cars, in the last two years, i hate the color red now.

At least we know the fans in the sticks aren't bandwagon fans.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3331 on: August 20, 2013, 01:34:59 pm »
the only bandwagon, people in the sticks, are getting on, is the one to the liquor store.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3332 on: August 20, 2013, 01:43:04 pm »
can some brewery go ahead and have all of their beers put into bottles and then put into cans . . . let them all sit for 6 months and then have a can versus bottle throwdown, to finally put an end to this b.s.?

there are several craft brewers who offer their beers in both cans and bottles.  sierra nevada, avery and brooklyn come immediately to mind.  you can (!) do the test yourself.

speaking of cans: http://www.craftcans.com/db.php
<sig>

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3333 on: August 20, 2013, 01:49:15 pm »
but then i would have to drink all that beer . . . oh, ok.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #3334 on: August 20, 2013, 03:18:00 pm »
Can anyone confirm if Wings is readily available at all times now at DC Brau?

I popped by the brewery a few weeks ago and picked up a sixer of Wings with no problem. Granted it was their July batch since they haven't had a new release recently. Just give them a heads up if you're coming over during the day.

atomicfront

« Reply #3335 on: August 20, 2013, 03:21:28 pm »
can some brewery go ahead and have all of their beers put into bottles and then put into cans . . . let them all sit for 6 months and then have a can versus bottle throwdown, to finally put an end to this b.s.?

there are several craft brewers who offer their beers in both cans and bottles.  sierra nevada, avery and brooklyn come immediately to mind.  you can (!) do the test yourself.

speaking of cans: http://www.craftcans.com/db.php

When I was young I used to drink Colt 45 out of 16 oz cans.  Terrible but cost effective.  The 40 oz version was in bottles but it usually got warm before I finished.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3336 on: August 20, 2013, 03:29:40 pm »
The study found that five beer brands were consumed most often by people who ended up in the emergency room. They were Budweiser, Steel Reserve, Colt 45, Bud Ice and Bud Light.

http://www.freakonomics.com/2013/08/20/what-kind-of-beer-is-most-likely-to-land-you-in-the-e-r/

atomicfront

« Reply #3337 on: August 20, 2013, 03:31:46 pm »
The study found that five beer brands were consumed most often by people who ended up in the emergency room. They were Budweiser, Steel Reserve, Colt 45, Bud Ice and Bud Light.

http://www.freakonomics.com/2013/08/20/what-kind-of-beer-is-most-likely-to-land-you-in-the-e-r/

Bud and Bud Light are just on the list because they are popular.   

But "Four malt liquors accounted for nearly half of the beer consumption by emergency room patients, even though they account for less than 3 percent of beer consumption in the general population."

Yeah if you are drinking a cheap beer with a high alcohol content you are probably intended to get messed up.

imbecile

« Reply #3338 on: August 20, 2013, 04:14:28 pm »
i'll be at the bbq  8)

I've been thinking about going to this as well.  The BIAB exhibition interests me, as a logical next step on my way to all grain.

Was planning on brewing in the morning, then going to the United game at night... so it'll all depend on whether my wife allows me to completely piss away the entire day, ha.

imbecile

« Reply #3339 on: August 20, 2013, 04:17:35 pm »
Schneiders just tweeted that The Oracle from Bell's is in stock.  Happy to see it hitting the area.

Definitely, quite high on my list of favorite DIPAs, but I'm a bit of a sucker for everything Bells puts out.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3340 on: August 20, 2013, 04:29:03 pm »
i will be assistant brewer on the BIAB demo.  come say hi.

see ya there, wizzle.
<sig>

atomicfront

« Reply #3341 on: August 20, 2013, 11:29:11 pm »
I had a Fordham helles lager at the game tonight and it was rather tasty.  Unique taste and yeast smell.  Had a Dempsey red.ale before it which was not unique in any way.  So.many beers these days are boring.

James Ford

« Reply #3342 on: August 21, 2013, 12:44:08 pm »
The Penn Quarter Porter is a nice tasty low abv porter. Worth it when i snagged a six pack, not worth it in an overpriced bomber.

dc brau is making huge wavvvves . . .  oooh look, im edgy like the new kids . . . in my area all of a sudden.  people wearing shirts, stores carrying beers.  i think people look at dc "anything" differently, because of the success of the nationals, right now.

Two things... DC Brau has pretty crappy beer other than Wings IMO.

Also, what success are the Nationals having?

James Ford

« Reply #3343 on: August 21, 2013, 12:49:24 pm »
Thanks but I'll pass on the trade. Gotta cut myself off on acquiring new beer for awhile. Though do try it for yourself. Got a six pack for $7.99 in Indiana, bound to be higher in MD. Cheaper than four pack of Ommegang Abbey Ale and nearly as good. Cheaper than a four back of Allagash Dubbel and better tasting. I'll hold off and pick up some in Indiana in December.

Picked up a couple of four packs of that Sam Adams Dopplebock with part of my gift card. Decent, but won't be giving Ayinger or Andescher a run for their money. A bit more boozy (9.5 abv) than i want a dopplebock to be.

Have any of you Marylanders seen this anywhere? Definitely my favorite New Belgium beer, and one of the two original beers New Belgium did, along with Fat Tire. Yet, oddly it's not available in VA, though all their other stuff is. Their website does say it's available in MD.

yup, i've seen the abbey ale 'round my 'hood.  haven't tried it yet.  i can bring some to the next bottle share, trade ya for something we can't get o'er here.

Anybody ever tried Sam Adams Imperial Dopplebock?

Somehow I acquired a Walmart gift certificate, and it seeems natural to spend it on beer. The aforementioned beer seems like the best option at Walmart.

is this the what you're talking about? http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/47785.  if so: no, i haven't tried it, the two other "imperial series" that i've had were ok.  i'd be willing to give it a try on a gift certificate.  it's either that or a new pair of swim trunks, and no one wants that.

seems to me that "imperial dopplebock" would be redundant, since the "dopple" in dopplebock already implies the same thing as "imperial".  it would be like saying "imperial DIPA."    boston beer co. innovated the "triple bock" back in the 90's, to many purists chagrin. 

Yada

« Reply #3344 on: August 21, 2013, 01:13:07 pm »
The Penn Quarter Porter is a nice tasty low abv porter. Worth it when i snagged a six pack, not worth it in an overpriced bomber.

dc brau is making huge wavvvves . . .  oooh look, im edgy like the new kids . . . in my area all of a sudden.  people wearing shirts, stores carrying beers.  i think people look at dc "anything" differently, because of the success of the nationals, right now.

Two things... DC Brau has pretty crappy beer other than Wings IMO.

Also, what success are the Nationals having?

I'll agree it's pretty good, but not worth a trip to the brewery...I've never seen it elsewhere.