Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2693559 times)

Vas Deferens

(_|_)

James Ford

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #2446 on: September 14, 2010, 02:05:13 pm »
What a coincidence that the songs that elicited crowd dancing were songs off of pre-9/14/2010 release date albums rather than the ones off the yet to be released  (as of last night) album. Geez Louise.

Here's a review from last night:

http://www.expressnightout.com/content/2010/09/live-review-of-montreal-janelle-monae-930-club-september-13-2010.php

Staralfur25

« Reply #2447 on: September 14, 2010, 02:47:01 pm »
I had fun at the show. could be alcohol induced.
but janelle monae of course she is awesome. The bass was soooo loud. my
ears are stilling ringing. haha
of montreal
i just don't think the crowd was into it because
they played mostly new songs.
and i listened to the album once.
so it was hard to g et into the show.
but i didn't mind those crazy theatrics. that was some funny shit.
janelle came on around 8:05
and of montreal right on time
at the time i was digging the michael jackson songs
but then the video i captured when i watched it later
was awful. hahaha
still love them

vansmack

« Reply #2448 on: September 14, 2010, 03:09:31 pm »
David Malitz is a hack.

---------------------------

i thought last night's of montreal show was one of the worst i've seen in years http://wapo.st/cRcAyz but some others...
about 1 hour ago via web

@brettgellman may as well stay for a bit to see if it's any better/doing it for you. but i'm pretty sure everyone thought tonight was b-a-d
about 15 hours ago via TweetDeck in reply to brettgellman

Now its time for a michael jackson medley in the encore. Don't even know what to say about this.
about 16 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Soundman for janelle monae was *rockin* out. Of montreal sound guy just yawned. "Play something good!" shouts dude in balcony

They will come back for an encore but honestly nobody cares. Silent as they walked off stage. Awful show

Wow! A giant, cheap stage prop that serves no purpose! That's *exactly* what this show needed!

We're down to at most 3/4 full at this sold out of montreal show. Can't blame y'all early departers at all

Think he means faux-soul RT @rkearney: I bet people are sitting down already at the Warner. Here, it's a funk-soul feast. #ofmontreal
about 17 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Crowd was going *bonkers* for janelle. Lots and lots of standing still for of montreal so far
about 17 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

No wonder janelle monae's been on tour non-stop. Who the hell is gonna see her and NOT tell all their friends how goddamn awesome it was?
about 18 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Not gonna twitpic this monae set cuz I know @kgustafson has him some killllller photos for tomorrow
about 18 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Janelle monae's so on point her own sound guy is cheering her non-stop. Also, he lurrrrrrrves bass
about 19 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

She loves bloggers as much as they love her RT @kgustafson: We get to shoot all of Janelle Monae's set! Woo!
about 19 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®
27>34

Bagley

« Reply #2449 on: September 14, 2010, 03:18:21 pm »
DSO in baltimore fri. and DC sat....hoping for that first time ever Rubin and Cherise - cap centre '91

hemisphire

« Reply #2450 on: September 14, 2010, 03:25:58 pm »

Relaxer

« Reply #2451 on: September 14, 2010, 03:46:53 pm »
I was out of town last week and just now discovered that Fucked Up played at the RnR Hotel last week. So pissed! They're probably my #1 band that I want to see.

Did anyone go?
oword

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2452 on: September 14, 2010, 05:02:02 pm »
aziz ansari on friday
o/\o

wml7

« Reply #2453 on: September 14, 2010, 07:56:41 pm »
None of you guys checking out Broken Social Scene at Warner??  ;D

The Sea and the Cake was cool although John M was way too high on the mix (you would have thought he'd know better!).. .They only played 36 minutes though then a really long break then BSS... I left before end and Sam Prekop was at a little Sea and the Cake merch table looking bored/forlorn... I said "Hey, aren't you in the band.. you're Archer Prewitt!"...great just great... then I bought a record and had him sign it.. possibly the ugliest Sea and the Cake cover ever...great just great.. I'm sure Sam loved my comment "I got that one with the Bowie cover!"

So how was BSS???   It couldn't have been great, just great or that would be a bad thing  ;D

notme

« Reply #2454 on: September 14, 2010, 10:36:57 pm »
^^^ f'd up is best on the lamar street pedestrian bridge at 2am.

azaghal1981

« Reply #2455 on: September 15, 2010, 12:12:40 am »

For those who did stay for the whole set, what was the start/finish time for Of Montreal?

Did Janelle go on at 8 sharp?

Did they do "Make the Bus" or "Enemy Gene" together?

Also, wow. I wasn't expecting this show to get such bad reviews. :(

I kind of had fun at the Of Montreal show in January!
Hey there, Fuckface! You were supposed to call me. Joe informed me as to your presence at the show. Janelle was excellent as everyone else said but I spent the Of Montreal set getting reacquainted with people I hadn't seen in a long time downstairs.

احمد

James Ford

« Reply #2456 on: September 15, 2010, 09:24:53 am »
I walked away from the 9:30 Club thinking I had just seen two auditions to play the Super Bowl halftime show. I'll give each a C+ and wish for a return halftime performance by the Stones.

I walked into the club a fan of the new Janelle Monae album. I walked into the club a fan of several older Of Montreal albums, but not to the point of reverence that would prevent me from liking their new material. Thanks to the internet, I was actually familiar with (and quite like) their new material two months before release date.

Maybe I prefer a mix of sincerity and humor that I find in a live show by the likes of Robbie Fulks, Justin Earle, or Nick Lowe. Talk and tell me charming funny stories between songs, instead of adjusting your tights and batting your eyelashes. Or if you're not a big talker, give me a straightforward kickass rock show like Nada Surf, Spoon, or the Drive By Truckers, instead of pointless dancers, stage props, and silly dress styles.

Both acts were all about style over substance, and in that context both were ok I guess. Glad I saw them but wouldn't pay money or stay up past my bedtime to see them again. The dancers and props were at times funny, at times annoying, but most often distracting and never enhancing. Janelle's dancers were just as pointless as Of Montreal's dancers. Not sure why the critics of Monday's show lambasted OM for that and let JM pass for the same offense. Janelle didn't live up to the hype, OM wasn't as bad as Monday's press. They'll both go to Philly and do the same exact show. And does Kevin Barnes remind anybody of Perry Farrell (thanks to my wife for that catch)? Scrawny dorks in stupid outfits. And Janelle, you should just shave your ugly hair off (credit my wife for that comment too).

Unlike Monday's show (as reported by others...again, I question their reliability), both artists inspired about an equal number of dancing idiots. Personally, I'd prefer a show where everyone is bobbing their heads rather than dancing like an asshole and invading the personal space of others. Special kudos to the guy who spent the show pumping raised Miller Lite bottle in one hand and cell picture phone in the other hand, taking up the space of three people. His girlfriend gave me a few elbows while doing her stupid bleach blond white girl dancing. I later saw him in the urinal next to me, and her managed to piss all over everywhere except in the actual urinal.

As we were leaving (perfect timing to miss the inevitable child molester medley...no doubt Robbie Fulks will cover him Friday night, so don't want too much child molester music in one week), I stopped for one more piss. I overheard this exchange between two blockheads...one guy said something (in reference to Kevin Barnes) about "wannabe transsexual" and the other guy replied "Dude, aint no wannabe about it. That guy IS a tranny".

« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 09:45:51 am by kosmo vinyl »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2457 on: September 15, 2010, 09:46:24 am »
you are quite possibly the biggest  douchebag....
T.Rex

James Ford

« Reply #2458 on: September 15, 2010, 10:02:30 am »
One more comment: As with most (but not all) shows at the 9:30 Club, this one was way, way too loud. Even standing in the back with earplugs in. Too the point where the club was rattling when i was in the frint. What exactly is the point of having the music at ear damaging music? If the music is good, it doesn't need to be super loud.

Not to mention the bass was too loud, the vocals too low, the overall mix muddy, etc. I know nothing about sound but even I could point out that much.

Maybe the sound guy was too busy dancing (he wasn't yawning like Monday night) to notice.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2459 on: September 15, 2010, 10:12:38 am »
sucks that the show wasn't all that.  i know that you don't go to many shows these days, kinda blows that you spent one of your nights out on a dud.
<sig>