Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3244400 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #10335 on: March 08, 2021, 08:32:03 am »
2021 MD Brewery Challenge

1. Sapwood
1st Place

5. Crooked Crab
2nd Place

1. Elder Pine
3rd Place

beat me to it.  sapwood posted this on their FB page.

so has anyone been to Crooked Crab?  or even heard of it before this "tournament"?

They get Crooked Crab cans and drafts regularly at Downtown Crown. I have not tried any of their beers yet. I don't think they are a hype brewery or anything like Sapwood, probably (guessing) a good but flying below the radar brewery like Elder Pine and Nepenthe.

Space Freely

« Reply #10336 on: March 08, 2021, 08:38:05 am »
Why are the Pen Druid bottles so much pricier than their on premises draft prices?

is this true in general, or for this particular release?  because charging more for a long-aged sour than for an IPA is pretty standard...

Pen Druid doesn't do IPAs. Or fruited sours. Or stouts. Wild ales and Belgians only.

Their 26 oz sour bottles typically sell for $35/bottle (if memory serves, but Walkie can correct this.), whereas the same beer on draft is typically $10 for 10 oz (but they pour more.)

Golden Swan, their Belgian golden typically sells for $15 ($16?) for 26 oz bottle (I'm likely going this week on the way home from hiking and can check), whereas the draft price is $8 for 16 oz.

So what I'm saying is that sometimes you have the choice of choosing the same beer from a bottle or draft to consume onsite (or in the case of bottle, take it home), and the bottle is always more expensive. The thing that blows my mind is that I have observed people choosing the bottle for onsite consumption instead of the draft. I'm guessing these people are wine drinkers.

Sorry I'm spacin' out over here.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 08:44:52 am by Space Freely »

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #10337 on: March 08, 2021, 09:28:18 am »
so has anyone been to Crooked Crab?  or even heard of it before this "tournament"?

Yes, one visit.

They did a pastry stout collab with Sapwood that was memorable. A decent hazy. That’s about it.

WALKonBack

« Reply #10338 on: March 08, 2021, 10:06:21 am »
Space, you do realize, that people who go to Rappahannock County, VA to eat / drink / sleep / antique . . . don't value money the same way normal people do?  To them, spending more is showing off.

Like 2 people who decide they need a 5 bedroom, 6000 square foot home on 20 acres.  Just, because they can, afford it.

That's the point, of Rappahannock County, VA.

Space Freely

« Reply #10339 on: March 08, 2021, 10:11:57 am »
Space, you do realize, that people who go to Rappahannock County, VA to eat / drink / sleep / antique . . . don't value money the same way normal people do?  To them, spending more is showing off.

Like 2 people who decide they need a 5 bedroom, 6000 square foot home on 20 acres.  Just, because they can, afford it.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom, Walkie.

That, and having a place to hang their oversized MAGA signs.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #10340 on: March 08, 2021, 10:25:23 am »

Can confirm.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #10341 on: March 08, 2021, 10:50:24 am »
Fantastic

« Reply #10342 on: March 08, 2021, 10:54:57 am »
There are many in Arlington County who will do that on 1/4 acre because they can afford it too...just cost $1.5-2 mil
slack

hutch

« Reply #10343 on: March 08, 2021, 11:01:38 am »
I just don’t understand English anymore

Space Freely

« Reply #10344 on: March 08, 2021, 11:05:46 am »
I just don’t understand English anymore

Still smarting over the Harry and Meghan interview?

hutch

« Reply #10345 on: March 08, 2021, 11:23:14 am »
I been reading the headlines and small parts of stories .. I have the opposite reaction of most everyone I know or everything I read

But the British royalty is of no interest..

Still they say if you don’t have anything good to say...

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #10346 on: March 08, 2021, 12:12:49 pm »
The thing about this Royalty kerfuffle is, as with most things, everyone acts like its a binary. Either "Meghan is a bitch" or "the royal family are dicks," when the most likely explanation is that ALL OF THESE PEOPLE SUCK. Like its OK as a young woke to hold an opinion that yes, the royal family and the institutions around it are outdated and likely racist in some unspoken way and Prince Charles is likely a shitbag AND ALSO the first African-American member of the royal family is obnoxious and ridiculous and did not know what she was signing up for.

LVMH

Yada

« Reply #10347 on: March 08, 2021, 12:14:08 pm »
Basically what Jules said...but additionally, how any ANYONE be shocked that these old frumpy fucks are also racist fucks?

hutch

« Reply #10348 on: March 08, 2021, 12:16:14 pm »
Meghan and Harry are so full of it

They moved to Hollywood for privacy? Inked a mega deal with Netflix or whoever for privacy? Get paid millions for interviews for privacy?

Give me a break..

I mean good for them if they want to monetize their “royal status” which was meant to be about serving their subjects  for personal economic gain but just spare me all the BS... these guys come off as grifters

« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 01:36:05 pm by hutch »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10349 on: March 08, 2021, 03:09:40 pm »

Their 26 oz sour bottles typically sell for $35/bottle (if memory serves, but Walkie can correct this.), whereas the same beer on draft is typically $10 for 10 oz (but they pour more.)

Golden Swan, their Belgian golden typically sells for $15 ($16?) for 26 oz bottle (I'm likely going this week on the way home from hiking and can check), whereas the draft price is $8 for 16 oz.

So what I'm saying is that sometimes you have the choice of choosing the same beer from a bottle or draft to consume onsite (or in the case of bottle, take it home), and the bottle is always more expensive.

well, there is more cost involved in filling a bottle vs. selling a draught: the bottle, the bottling line, the labor involved in running a bottling line and then handling the bottles (boxing, stacking, warehousing, etc.), etc..  the cheapest and most profitable means of getting a beer to a customer is across the bar. 

Sorry I'm spacin' out over here.

woudn't expect anything less.
<sig>