Author Topic: Hole  (Read 32560 times)

Bombay Chutney

Hole
« on: June 27, 2010, 02:59:25 pm »

FYI - The 930.com webpage and Forum FAQ say Hole comes on at 9:30, but the club just tweeted that Hole starts at 9:15.    Not sure which is correct, but you may want to get there early, just in case.

bearman🐻

Re: Hole
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 12:53:55 am »
How was the show?

azaghal1981

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 01:22:58 am »
Still attempting to gather my thoughts. And I was one of the lucky ones who got out early. I left at roughly 12:10. To those of you who stuck it out and did not have to be there, are you gluttons for cruel and unusual punishment?
احمد

DotTheEyes

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 02:22:34 am »
9:15?  Ha!

9:30?  No.

10:24?  Bingo!

It was...terrible.  Love was a nightmare.  She couldn't remember lyrics nor her simple guitar parts.  Songs started, songs stopped.  And the rambling--oh God, the rambling.  Long, vitriolic, oft-incoherent strings of words.  The other members of the new "Hole" seemed to despise her.  Drummer Stu Fisher in particular seemed to alternate between boredom and annoyance with the Queen B*tch.

I stayed for 90 or so minutes, and just couldn't handle it any longer.  I am interested to know when it, at last, ended.

I did enjoy the opening act, Foxy Shazam.  Super-over-the-top and energetic, a definite Queen vibe...  Nothing too "deep," but a great deal of colorful, loose showmanship on display.  I would see them again, without a doubt.

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 04:46:16 am »
It went on until 1:10am.

30 "songs"

Pretty on the Inside
Sympathy for the Devil (Rolling Stones cover)
Samantha
Miss World
Violet
Pretty Your Whole Life
Closer (Nine Inch Nails cover)
The Man that Got Away (Judy Garland cover)
Letter to God
Asking for It
Jennifer's Body
Plump
Pretty Your Whole Life (again)(no, seriously)
Olympia
Pacific Coast Highway
Sunset Marquis
Honey
Celebrity Skin
Someone Else's Bed
Skinny Little Bitch

Doll Parts
Play With Fire (Rolling Stones cover)
Malibu
Boys on the Radio
Take this Longing (Leonard Cohen cover, seriously?)
Car Crash
Awful
Thirteen (Big Star cover, also, wow, seriously?)
Never Go Hungry
Northern Star

Okay, so...as a Hole fan who sat through the two 45-minute shows she did in April at Terminal 5 in New York, I've still gotta say that I would be pissed if I had missed this show. This is the first setlist in a long time that has a SHIT ton of rare shit on it. I can't think of a show she's played in a long time where she's played 7 songs from Live Through This, in addition to a bunch of the (actually really good) demo tracks that were floating around in 2002-2006, like Sunset Marquis and Car Crash. Neither one of those songs have been played live before, as far as I know.

But god...damn...Courtney. She slurred, forgot lyrics, went on mildly racist-tirades, outed George Clooney and the guy from Faith No More?, berated her OWN bassist in front of the audience and the band, berated the fans, and generally made EVERYONE in the room, her band included, feel incredibly uncomfortable throughout the majority of the LONG-ASS, IS THIS REALLY GOING ON MORE THAN TWO AND A HALF HOURS YEP I GUESS IT IS show that we got. She played a "new song" she was working on, "Pretty Your Whole Life" twice. Once acoustically, and once with the band. Both times were incredibly incoherent and pretty cringe-worthy. It's probably a decent song, but god damn...I mean, there were several moments where everyone standing around me were left incredibly embarrassed for what was happening in front of us. When she walked onstage and introduced us to her "videographer" (her friend with an iPhone) and said "Fuck everyone else, she's going to block your view because I need her to take this video of me", I think we all knew it was one of *those* shows. She told fans to stop complaining that they couldn't see her during Plump, and was dead ass serious about it. All of this, after showing up over an hour late to people who paid good money to see her perform. I guess she made up for it with the random / rare songs and the long setlist, but really?

Gotta say, it was super fun hearing people yell out what they thought her "worst" song was, per her request. She claims it's "Born Bad", her never-heard collaboration with Lil' Kim for the Any Given Sunday soundtrack. Instead, they used her (also-bad) song "Be a Man" for the soundtrack, which...also, just no. She was actually way off with that, though. Her worst song ever had been performed earlier in the night: "Letter to God". Embarrassing.

Also, what the fuck was that incredibly horrible Nine Inch Nails cover? My friend said it felt like a scene from "Blue Velvet", or another completely fucked out of your head David Lynch movie.

What'd everybody else think?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 05:19:11 am by Firebutt McGee »
Woof.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 07:44:46 am »

Are you sure it's STILL not going on?  I left after an hour.  11:30.  Some of us have metro trains to catch.  I'm glad I didn't stay.  If I had, I would have missed the last train of the night...by an HOUR.

I almost feel sorry for her.  Almost.  If you abuse prescription drugs you're really not "drug-free" are you?

Her friend with the iphone was just unreal.  I mean, she literally stood directly in front of her for entire songs.  I'm surprised more people didn't walk out.

And doesn't she realize that her sorority (ending every phrase like it's a question)/gossip talk isn't funny or entertaining?  "Oh my god?...like I wrote this song?...And this failed British comedian?...who I had a MAJOR crush on?....and Billy Corgan was there?...but I'll NEVER tell you the other guy?....and Liam Gallagher?.....if that wasn't the 90's right there?"

I walked out at that point.  Sunset Marquis or something.

Part of me likes Courtney Love but that brain is swiss cheese.  It's over.  That band COULD be good.  Could be tight. 

Brian

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 07:47:15 am »
Cue Rusty Organ's comments, who I'm guessin' based on other people Twittering he got his money's worth...
T.Rex

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 08:18:18 am »
Awesome.  Sounds like it was exactly the trainwreck people should have expected it to be.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 08:38:23 am »
Is Courtney's Iphone friend going to be featured in an Apple commercial?   "Being a total douche -- there's an app for that!"

Reading all this stuff, I kind of wish I was there.   It sounds like it was totally worth it, for all the wrong reasons.

_\|/_

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 10:00:51 am »
I kind of wish I had been there too.  I'm not afraid to admit that I love a good trainwreck...

Completely coincidentally, I was listening to Live Through This this morning...a damn fine album.

hemisphire

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 11:54:48 am »

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 12:06:01 pm »
""Do you really like rock music?" she asked one female. "Because you're African-American. That would be like me being into Lil Wayne." "

Wow, just wow.

Well looks like this show is the running for worst show of the year.

Was it at least so bad that it was enjoyable to witness?

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 12:12:02 pm »
Entertaining thread here, with pics:
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/clicktrack/2010/06/in_concert_hole_at_930_club.html

I can't stop laughing at that review.  So terrible.  So spot-on accurate.   

I made it until 12:30.  I couldn't take it any more.  And I was able to sit through that entire Pumpkins set a few years back.  Not this one though.  Ugh.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 12:18:48 pm »
Well it sounds like it certainly wasn't the worst thing a concert can be, which is utterly forgettable...   I really regret missing this after reading the Post article.

And the girl with the Iphone appears to have a nice bod from the pics... if someone's gonna block your view, they might as well be good eye candy, so that's one slightly redeeming thing...

Robert Byrd jokes aside, who was the Senator???

_\|/_

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 12:32:04 pm »
My God! No wonder Kurt killed himself.