Author Topic: Hole  (Read 32560 times)

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
Re: Hole
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2010, 10:04:35 am »
The worst show I've ever been to was Cat Power, sometime in the early '00s.   She was just mind-numbingly boring.    Being boring is the worst possible crime a performer can commit.

It sounds like Courtney at least did not bore.   If anything it seems like she was trying to channel G.G. Allin.

_\|/_

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2010, 10:26:48 am »
GG was absolutely top 3 for me in terms of being unforgettable.  Completely hilarious. 

Relaxer

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2010, 10:45:51 am »
I was at the Vines show and while it was a little all over the place, it wasn't the worst I'd seen by a long shot. As stated above, I think the Cat Power meltdowns were awhile ago, like 2000/2001. She was performing fine during the 'Greatest' shows.
oword

Vas Deferens

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2010, 11:20:59 am »
Cat Power was actually great during the Greatest tour, terrible with the Delta Blues band or whatever it's called. The worst Cat Power show I saw was during 2004, when she wasn't happy with the sound, apologized to us, then went backstage for a couple minutes then brought a boombox with her, played techno music, and sung/rapped over it.
(_|_)

Fiona

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2010, 04:04:44 pm »
Fiona......but she couldn't hit the high notes, particularly Violet. SHE GAVE US THE EFFING MICROPHONE FOR THE CHORUS! That in itself is a BIG mess up.  And don't pretend it wasn't horrible!

A lot of artists have their fans sing along on their best known songs. I've been to many concerts where the artist holds the microphone out to the audience and have them sing along the chorus of one of their hits. It didn't really strike me as that unusual because many artists do the same thing.
I think she was trying to make it a long fun night with a lot of songs for her fans, but it didn't work to be so spontaneous. It wasn't the best concert but it wasn't the train wreck everyone is saying. I had a fantastic time.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2010, 04:21:30 pm »
Fiona, I wasn't there, but have heard the opinion of many who were.  I'm going to go with the consensus of the mob on this one.

nkotb

« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2010, 05:18:57 pm »
You know what would be the worst thing in the world?  If we all let Fiona go on thinking that the show was enjoyable.  Quick, let's crush her spirits and show her how right we all are!!!!!!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2010, 05:51:21 pm »
You know what would be the worst thing in the world?  If we all let Fiona go on thinking that the show was enjoyable. 

or, worse yet, introduce her to the concept that different people have different opinions - and sometimes they're at odds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111
<sig>

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2010, 06:24:50 pm »
Fiona......but she couldn't hit the high notes, particularly Violet. SHE GAVE US THE EFFING MICROPHONE FOR THE CHORUS! That in itself is a BIG mess up.  And don't pretend it wasn't horrible!

A lot of artists have their fans sing along on their best known songs. I've been to many concerts where the artist holds the microphone out to the audience and have them sing along the chorus of one of their hits. It didn't really strike me as that unusual because many artists do the same thing.
I think she was trying to make it a long fun night with a lot of songs for her fans, but it didn't work to be so spontaneous. It wasn't the best concert but it wasn't the train wreck everyone is saying. I had a fantastic time.

Since I've posted several times on this thread, I do feel kind of bad for those hard-core Courtney Love fans.  Maybe it seems like we're bullying.

I don't know why, especially after Sunday night, but I'm actually a fan of Courtney Love/Hole.  I've seen this "new" Hole multiple times in 2010.

Women just appreciate Courtney Love differently.  They just do.  Her fans are almost like Morrissey fans.  A man can try to understand but we can't.   There's something about her attitude that connects with women.  I don't know what the alt-equivalent is for men.  Jeff Tweedy?  Nick Cave?  So I think men can't really understand Courtney Love like women can.

I'm really glad you liked the show, Fiona.  And I hope you can gain enjoyment and strength from Courtney's music and attitude.

However,

A.) I caught the end of the "Behind the Music" and she mentioned about still wanting to do the "rock thing."  This may seem cruel, but right now her music is all she has.  She still has some fans.  But, if I knew this album and this tour were "make or break" for her continuing to do this I would rehearse the SHIT out of those songs.  Know every word, every note, be able to stop on a dime, forwards and backwards.  Her band has talent.  There aren't THAT many Hole/Courtney Love songs and to be honest, they're not that complicated.  So, there's no excuse for her not knowing these songs and being able to play them competently.  The weakest link in that band is Courtney.  In another thread (Just Announced, maybe) someone mentioned Joan Jett.  I also saw her recently and she kicks ASS.  Her band is tight, her voice is strong, and she plays to the crowd.  That's what Courtney should be doing.  Considering what's at stake.  I'm not saying Courtney shouldn?t talk at ALL between songs but she could have played the same songs she did Sunday night in a tight, guns blazing 90 minute set.  And if she did that, knew the words, knew the chords, NO ONE would be complaining today.

B.) She's not straight.  It doesn't take a genius to see that.  Few rock stars are but it clearly affects her performance.  She's not drug free.

C.) The thing that annoys me most about her is her relationship to her fans.  She'd have a wider audience ten, fifteen years ago but RIGHT NOW, there's only two people who go see Courtney Love/Hole: A. People waiting for the pileup and B. Diehard fans.  Being clean, sober and musically competent could change the minds of group A but she treats group B like such shit. She's so condescending.  She's always talking about her Dior clothes...and who she has a crush on...and who she used to sleep with...her $800 underwear.  Never an "I'm just like you" attitude towards her audience.  It's "I'm so much better than you" attitude.  Could any of you be friends with someone who name drops like she does?  And then she hints at something scandalous and says "I'll NEVER tell you who that is."  Die-hards, is that REALLY entertaining?  I couldn't picture Mariah Carey or Aguilera or any other bitch diva being that bad.  I'm serious.  Can any of you think of someone who'd have an assistant stand DIRECTLY in front of them so they could be filmed (by an iPod) for an ENTIRE song?!?  I'm genuinely curious.  Who's the biggest ego, rock star a-hole ever?  The guy from Creed?  Corgan?  I can't think of ANYONE who'd do that.  She'd be the worst friend ever.  She actually thinks people CARE about Trent Reznor stories.  Or Billy Corgan stories.  Or Gavin Rossdale stories.  What?  Was she too busy to blow the guy from Smashmouth?

She's capable of putting on a good show.  But she's Chuck Berry, now.  Has anyone here ever seen Chuck Berry?  If you go to see Chuck Berry, you are looking at a person who used to perform as Chuck Berry.   And Chuck Berry's attitude is that you should get down on your hands and knees and pray thanks for witnessing such genius.

Brian

atomicfront

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2010, 06:49:17 pm »
I really wish I saw this set.  I really thought about going but 45 dollars for a club show seemed too extreme especially as Eric wasn't there.

I do think female rock acts have a lot harder time getting the attention they deserve.   Time after time  you see bands that have female lead singers play small clubs while much less talented bands with male singers move up the ladder.  Really in the 90's the only female lead bands that got any radio play at all were Garbage, Hole, and No Doubt.  And Gwen can be confused for a guy at times. 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 06:52:24 pm by atomicfront »

nkotb

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2010, 06:50:22 pm »
Vansmack is going to punch you in the face for that one.

And Gwen can be confused for a guy at times. 

atomicfront

« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2010, 06:51:35 pm »
I was at the Vines show and while it was a little all over the place, it wasn't the worst I'd seen by a long shot. As stated above, I think the Cat Power meltdowns were awhile ago, like 2000/2001. She was performing fine during the 'Greatest' shows.

I saw her on Greatest show at the club which NPR recorded.   I think she did stop one song and gave up on it towards the end of the set but other than that she was ok.  The set at Virgin was pretty low key although there was virtually no one watching.  

azaghal1981

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2010, 07:05:43 pm »
The 90's had their fair share of shit acts with female singers who got much bigger than they should have.

Letters to Cleo?
Veruca Salt?
Jewel?

And that is off the top of my head. Sure there are female fronted bands that never got the credit they deserved but there are just as many male-fronted bands in the same boat.
احمد

eltee

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2010, 07:32:19 pm »
Dear Brian,
I would guess that most of her fans know she is a trainwreck and that is one aspect of why they like her. Comparing to Morrissey fans is not the same - Courtney is in a whole other element. Musically, of course, I'm guessing she is not 100% for all the reasons you state. I appreciate you extending an olive branch to fiona and other Hole fans, but really, people know what her personality is like and that's not the argument. The comments seem to be about her physical state and ability to perform 100%.
I didn't read anything offensive, seemed like constructive criticism (for a change!)

Azag, and Jewel has a hissy fit she was beaned in the head w/ a frisbee.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2010, 07:33:49 pm »

It was a total train wreck!  Other artists have the audience sing ALONG with SOME of the songs.  She had the audience sing almost all of every song for her because she was so trashed she had no idea where she was let alone what she was doing or the words to what she was so miserably failing to sing. 
FUKIT