Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1901661 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #3420 on: April 10, 2015, 02:41:34 pm »
In addition, anyone who doesn't think that the current status of media is better than it ever has been, even with all it's confusing digital right licensing issues, probably still owns 8-tracks, but not a working 8-track player.

Nostalgia is a wonderful thing.  But when nostalgia gets in the way of innovation, it's a dangerous thing.

....talk to hutch, he seems to have a fondness for the physical I'll never fully understand :)

Well, up until now (and for the time being), you trade sacrifice quality when you go digital.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3421 on: April 10, 2015, 02:48:45 pm »
For the record, I never said that Digital Media in the Cloud was the panacea, however those who argue that Tanglible Media model is not dead is the reason why used DVD and CD stores are still around.

In addition, anyone who doesn't think that the current status of media is better than it ever has been, even with all it's confusing digital right licensing issues, probably still owns 8-tracks, but not a working 8-track player.

Nostalgia is a wonderful thing.  But when nostalgia gets in the way of innovation, it's a dangerous thing.
I don't really understand your point. Let's avoid the discussion of whether the Tangible Media model is "dead" because that's mostly hyperbole. Massive corporations are not printing up DVDs and CDs at a massive loss for giggles. They are still making money that way. The model of commodification of "art" is changing with the advent of new technology, of course. Obvious things are obvious.

What I don't understand is this near militant approach some people take on this. For example you say, "those who argue that Tanglible Media model is not dead is the reason why used DVD and CD stores are still around" and "when nostalgia gets in the way of innovation, it's a dangerous thing". What? How is "innovation" (like streaming music and movies) deterred by the existence of used CD stores? If Sweets wants to watch his Simpsons on blu-ray and you want to watch it streaming, how are you somehow aggrieved by his position? Why can't it be both?

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, if I'm ignorant on this topic, please educate me.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 03:09:57 pm by Julian, Verified SHITLORD »
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3422 on: April 10, 2015, 02:55:09 pm »
Is 4k blu-ray not a thing (soon)?

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #3423 on: April 17, 2015, 03:09:14 pm »

vansmack

« Reply #3424 on: April 17, 2015, 03:26:15 pm »
Is 4k blu-ray not a thing (soon)?

Yes, 4K Blu-Ray is a thing.  But I wouldn't invest in it, much like I didn't invest in 1080p Blu-Ray , other than the 3 Star Wars Blu-Ray movies I purchased that I already regret now that they are available Digitally from all Digital online stores. 
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #3425 on: April 17, 2015, 03:29:54 pm »
Verizon introduces "Custom TV" bundles.

I guess they have to do something to compete with Sling TV.  It will be interesting to see if this prevents users from logging into services like ESPN3 and other already existing subscriber offers.
27>34

« Reply #3426 on: April 17, 2015, 03:47:06 pm »
Sir Smakie...I was expecting you to weigh in on the new Tidal service?

apparently it sucks, so maybe that's why you didn't
slack

vansmack

« Reply #3427 on: April 17, 2015, 04:37:38 pm »
Sir Smakie...I was expecting you to weigh in on the new Tidal service?

apparently it sucks, so maybe that's why you didn't

I was excited about Tidal, but I couldn't figure out one thing: how I was going to get Lossless from my mobile device to my stereo without losing the quality.  There's no device that I know of that will do this wirelessly, and none of my mobile devices have the proper built in DAC's to take full advantage.  This still puzzles me because it's true best use is through my stereo as I don't use headphones much (basically, only on planes).  So, I'm watching a few DACs that plug into MicroUSB ports and may dedicate one device in my stereo to handle that, but until then I haven't tried my free week.

If anybody else is doing something, let me know.... 
27>34

vansmack

27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3429 on: April 27, 2015, 04:17:40 pm »
I want to stop paying for ESPN in such a big way..
T.Rex

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3430 on: May 04, 2015, 05:33:14 pm »
since you and your Oxfrod-compliant ways might get a kick outta this:

<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #3431 on: May 08, 2015, 06:24:10 pm »
since you and your Oxfrod-compliant ways might get a kick outta this:

It was nice to spend a few days in England and see all the proper grammar.  And Page 3.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #3432 on: May 27, 2015, 03:55:29 pm »
Miley Cyrus, Ariana Grande, Unicorn Outfits and an inflatable couch makes for one Crowded House:

https://www.facebook.com/MileyCyrus/videos/10153388045507147/

EDIT: for non FBers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2ua3O_fdCY
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 03:58:27 pm by vansmack »
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #3433 on: May 29, 2015, 02:45:01 pm »
So many threads this could have gone in on this board.....

Coldplay's Game of Thrones: The Musical (Full 12-minute version)
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3434 on: May 29, 2015, 03:16:56 pm »
I wonder if there is a longer version of the Daenerys Rasta song
T.Rex