Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1894146 times)

vansmack

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #1380 on: January 08, 2009, 01:59:53 pm »
  Heres hoping Teixeira's career takes a  Johnny Damon turn after signing with the Yankees.

That's just it - I don't think it's going to happen.  The kid's legit, he's young, consistent, works hard, and LOVES to play baseball.  Damon was 32 when he signed that yankee deal - Teix will be halfway through his new Yankee contract when he reaches the age of Damon's first contract year with the yankees.

I'm telling you - I wish I had never seen him in an Angel uniform....it wouldn't hurt this badly if I hadn't.
27>34

Venerable Bede

« Reply #1381 on: January 08, 2009, 02:49:09 pm »
kind of like the Iraq Group job (and I disagree with the LAT assessment that they wrong, but we've been through that).

to quote mickey kaus- "I must have missed the part of the blueprint where the Iraq Study Group called for the Petraeus "surge" strategy."

:)
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #1382 on: January 08, 2009, 03:02:15 pm »
"I must have missed the part of the blueprint where the Iraq Study Group called for the Petraeus "surge" strategy."

I'm not revisiting this...
27>34

Venerable Bede

« Reply #1383 on: January 08, 2009, 03:03:40 pm »
"I must have missed the part of the blueprint where the Iraq Study Group called for the Petraeus "surge" strategy."

I'm not revisiting this...
i was gonna post something about teixiera not really helping the angels last year, but neyer wasn't as helpful as i thought he was. 
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #1384 on: January 08, 2009, 03:05:03 pm »
i was gonna post something about teixiera not really helping the angels last year, but neyer wasn't as helpful as i thought he was. 

I know, heaven forbid you actually come up with an original thought that's your own and not someone else's blog post...
27>34

Venerable Bede

« Reply #1385 on: January 08, 2009, 03:14:50 pm »

I know, heaven forbid you actually come up with an original thought that's your own and not someone else's blog post...
SMACK!
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #1386 on: January 09, 2009, 02:24:32 pm »
The Official Win7 Beta is available for those daring (the servers are really busy right now though):

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dd353205.aspx#
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1387 on: January 09, 2009, 10:37:55 pm »
As if United/Chelsea and the Steelers playoff game weren't enough on Sunday...may head may officially explode on Sunday.

Bono to write Op-Ed column for New York Times
Jan. 9, 2009, 3:00 PM EST

NEW YORK (AP) -- Can he type with those shades on? Bono will write an Op-Ed column for The New York Times.

The paper announced that his first column will appear Sunday, for which he will also do a podcast. His column will appear occasionally.

Bono called the gig "an honor," and joked that he's "never been great with the full stops or commas."

The Times said the column will cover a broad range of topics.

The 48-year-old U2 rocker has been an advocate in the fight against AIDS and poverty in Africa.

Times editorial page editor, Andrew Rosenthal, said Bono "is an extraordinary man who thinks deeply about his art and the major issues confronting the world."
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 10:40:11 pm by vansmack »
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1388 on: January 12, 2009, 01:24:03 pm »
For those that are interested, I have become totally addicted to ESPNs Streak for The Cash game (pick 27 games in a row and win $1 Million).  So much so I created a group.  Feel free to join.

GROUP NAME: The Degenerates
PASSWORD: gamblers

In order to join my group, you must first sign up for the game, make a pick and then click the Join a Group link.  Search for The Degenerates and enter the password.  There is no charge to play.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1389 on: January 14, 2009, 01:26:55 pm »
Even I thought this was already over, but what a waste of $3.5 Million...

Updated: January 14, 2009, 8:46 AM ET

Anaheim ends court fight vs. Angels
Associated Press

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- The city of Anaheim is dropping its legal challenges to the name of the Angels.

Mayor Curt Pringle says the City Council voted unanimously Tuesday to give up its battle to restore the team's name to the Anaheim Angels.

The city had argued that team owner Arte Moreno violated the city-owned stadium lease agreement when he changed the name to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in 2005.

A California appeals court ruled against the city last month, and an Orange County Superior court jury sided with the team in 2006.

Pringle says city leaders believe the wrong court decision was made twice, but says "it's in everybody's best interest to take no further action."
27>34

Venerable Bede

« Reply #1390 on: January 14, 2009, 03:09:18 pm »
Even I thought this was already over, but what a waste of $3.5 Million...

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- The city of Anaheim is dropping its legal challenges to the name of the Angels.
at least you have a jersey. . .to me, they're still the california angels. . .
OU812

walkonby

« Reply #1391 on: January 14, 2009, 03:15:37 pm »

vansmack

« Reply #1392 on: January 14, 2009, 08:00:53 pm »
at least you have a jersey. . .to me, they're still the california angels. . .

Don't worry, I'll buy you a Fremont t-shirt...
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1393 on: January 15, 2009, 03:57:50 pm »
What the hell are the Dodgers thinking?

Dodgers Sign Andruw Jones: 2 Years, $36 Million

Yep - a no brainer as the Dodgers are set to release Jones.  Shocked they couldn't trade him with that contract.

In my next life I'm gonna be a GM.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1394 on: January 15, 2009, 04:59:36 pm »
I tend to drink more wine in November and December, plus I'm off whiskey probation between Thanksgiving and Xmas, so I'm partially responsible.  But rest assured Miller, I'm back on the High Life...

Beer sales falling with economy
SABMiller's beer shipments down during economic slowdown; Carlsberg makes cuts
EMILY FREDRIX AP Food Industry Writer

Even the brewing industry is starting to go flat in the worldwide economic slump.

SABMiller PLC, the London-based brewer of Grolsch, Miller Genuine Draft and Peroni Nastro Azzurro lagers, said on Thursday its beer shipments fell unexpectedly in the third quarter as consumers pulled back on their demand.
27>34