Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1894063 times)

vansmack

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #1545 on: April 08, 2009, 12:42:10 am »
Adam Lambert is BY FAR the greatest American Idol contestant they've ever had.  And this is coming from a huge Kelly Clarkson fan.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 12:44:26 am by vansmack »
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1546 on: April 09, 2009, 11:46:36 am »
Angels rookie starting pitcher, Nick Adenhart, was killed in a car crash last night.  He was 22.
27>34

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #1547 on: April 09, 2009, 12:37:14 pm »
Angels rookie starting pitcher, Nick Adenhart, was killed in a car crash last night.  He was 22.
Damn shame.  He was from silver spring.  Just a few hours after pitching 6 scorless innings (the bullpen gave up 6 though so the anges lost) he gets slammed by some fucking drunk driver running a red light.

vansmack

« Reply #1548 on: April 09, 2009, 01:27:28 pm »
I had forgotten he was from Silver Spring.  I can't tell you how bummed I am about this.

And just because I hate most baseball writers these days, factually you are correct that the bullpen blew the lead (which I'm sure is what you read), but in reality, the game hinged on Chone Figgins who, with runners on first and third, one out and a 4-0 lead in the eighth, decided to throw home with a slow roller instead of getting the sure out at first.  The runner was safe, it left the Angels with a 4-1 lead, runners on first and second and one out.  The next batter grounded out, which would have ended the inning and protected a 3 run lead, but instead, Figgins gave the A's 4 outs in the inning and Oakland capitalized on it.  It's amazing how much harder it is to get four outs than it is to get three.  Sure, Fuentes should have been able to protect a 4-3 lead, but he also should have had some cushion and protected a 4-1 lead.  The writers watched the same game I did (they most certainly had better seats, too), but how they consistently miss these types of things will annoy me until I die (or become a baseball writer).
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #1549 on: April 09, 2009, 01:39:34 pm »
some fucking drunk driver running a red light.

where was tony larussa last night? 

seriously, though. thats  a shame.  some people live too short, others live too long.

vansmack

« Reply #1550 on: April 09, 2009, 01:53:07 pm »
The driver of the vehicle that ran the red that struck Nick's car was drunk, and driving on a suspended license for a previous DUI, according to Fullerton Police.

That will be a murder charge in California.
27>34

Venerable Bede

« Reply #1551 on: April 09, 2009, 03:16:32 pm »
MTV's "The Real World" is reportedly looking for staff in the nation's capital -- tipping off that the next series of the famed reality show will be set there. 

also of note: That comes on the heels of news earlier this week that a long-rumored DC-version of "The Hills" is airing this summer.

The show, provocatively titled "Blonde Charity Mafia," will air on The CW.

Cameras follow three 20-something socialites as they conquer the Washington social scene.
OU812

chaz

« Reply #1552 on: April 09, 2009, 03:21:55 pm »
I had forgotten he was from Silver Spring.  I can't tell you how bummed I am about this.

And just because I hate most baseball writers these days, factually you are correct that the bullpen blew the lead (which I'm sure is what you read), but in reality, the game hinged on Chone Figgins who, with runners on first and third, one out and a 4-0 lead in the eighth, decided to throw home with a slow roller instead of getting the sure out at first.  The runner was safe, it left the Angels with a 4-1 lead, runners on first and second and one out.  The next batter grounded out, which would have ended the inning and protected a 3 run lead, but instead, Figgins gave the A's 4 outs in the inning and Oakland capitalized on it.  It's amazing how much harder it is to get four outs than it is to get three.  Sure, Fuentes should have been able to protect a 4-3 lead, but he also should have had some cushion and protected a 4-1 lead.  The writers watched the same game I did (they most certainly had better seats, too), but how they consistently miss these types of things will annoy me until I die (or become a baseball writer).

Yeah it's just what I read on CNN or whatever I didn't see the game and am really only a casual baseball fan at best....but in the writer's defense it wasn't a piece about the game, but about the death of this poor kid.

Anyway, really sad stuff.  I fucking hate drunk drivers. 

Be safe, kids!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1553 on: April 09, 2009, 03:34:37 pm »
The driver of the vehicle that ran the red that struck Nick's car was drunk, and driving on a suspended license for a previous DUI, according to Fullerton Police.

That will be a murder charge in California.

"The minivan's driver fled the scene and was later arrested, Brower said. Andrew Thomas Gallo, 22, of Riverside will face charges of manslaughter, felony driving under the influence and hit-and-run" [source]
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #1554 on: April 09, 2009, 03:40:22 pm »
I'm not here to argue, but you can believe a Sports Illustrated article written this morning or watch the Press Conference after the article was written where the investigating officer said that the Fullerton Police we working with the DA to seek a murder charge because of the previous history that was not known at the time of the accident or the writing of that article, which would be the fullest extent of the law in CA.

And by the way... the Angels must be the unluckiest franchise ever, and [Rob Neyer] doesn't know of another franchise that's even in the running.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1555 on: April 09, 2009, 03:42:31 pm »
MTV's "The Real World" is reportedly looking for staff in the nation's capital -- tipping off that the next series of the famed reality show will be set there. 

also of note: That comes on the heels of news earlier this week that a long-rumored DC-version of "The Hills" is airing this summer.

The show, provocatively titled "Blonde Charity Mafia," will air on The CW.

Cameras follow three 20-something socialites as they conquer the Washington social scene.
i cant tell you how much this has made my day
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #1556 on: April 09, 2009, 03:46:04 pm »
The woman who died in the crash was a 20-year old cheerleader at Cal State Fullerton, Courtney Stewart.  She was the driver.  The third person who died has not been identified.

The fourth person in the car who survived is former Cal State Fullerton baseball player Jon Wilhite. 
27>34

walkonby

« Reply #1557 on: April 09, 2009, 03:51:30 pm »
thank god alcohol is legal so things like this can keep happening.

chaz

« Reply #1558 on: April 09, 2009, 03:57:35 pm »
Are we to assume then that you are a prohibitionist?

walkonby

« Reply #1559 on: April 09, 2009, 04:10:30 pm »
Are we to assume then that you are a prohibitionist?

take away everybody's vices.  make them live like life means something.