Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1894156 times)

Brian_Wallace

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #2415 on: October 13, 2011, 08:25:45 am »

Believe me, no one is more upset about this than me. I took a moderately attractive girl who works for Google to dinner last night just to get details on this bad boy.

Wait a minute!  Weren't you married?  Wasn't there a "Smack-ette" at some point?  Who am I thinking of?  I'm SO confused.

Brian

vansmack

« Reply #2416 on: October 13, 2011, 10:38:45 am »
About 18 pages ago....

smackie might come across as a playah, but underneath it all he's a very loyal and pro-mono kind of guy.  srsly.

This was true when I was married or in a relationship.  Right now I'd hide your daughters...
27>34

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #2417 on: October 14, 2011, 09:11:30 am »

I knew someone had an -ette they referred to.  Sweetcellette didn't sound right.

Brian

nkotb

« Reply #2418 on: October 18, 2011, 09:58:47 am »
Figured this was as good a place to ask as any...

We're in the final stages of booting cable permanently, especially since most of our TVs are either connected to devices for streaming (Wii, Xbox) and have pretty easy connects for HDMI to stream anything else from our laptop. 

We do have one last TV, though, that doesn't have any easy hook-up.  Are there any devices out there that can be hooked to a TV that give basic web browsing capabilities?  I'm not even sure where to look.

I can't justify having another laptop JUST for that purpose (especially since it's our least watched TV) or another gaming unit.  I'd scrap it all together, but this is the TV we use in the rare cases that we let the kid watch PBS or whatever.

Any ideas? 

vansmack

« Reply #2419 on: October 18, 2011, 12:32:13 pm »
We do have one last TV, though, that doesn't have any easy hook-up.  Are there any devices out there that can be hooked to a TV that give basic web browsing capabilities?  I'm not even sure where to look.

What are the hookups on the back?  Is there HDMI or am I looking for a Composite only device?
27>34

ggw

« Reply #2420 on: October 18, 2011, 01:27:25 pm »
but this is the TV we use in the rare cases that we let the kid watch PBS or whatever.

Please, think of the children

nkotb

« Reply #2421 on: October 18, 2011, 01:42:29 pm »
Hey, I'd agree...he's a boy, so the more we get him outside and moving, the easier my life is.  But when it's early in the morning, or he's sick, I'm not opposed to a little TV time.  That's why I generally walk around with the Ziggy Marley-penned them to Arthur in my head.  Check it out...it really is a gem: http://pbskids.org/arthur/games/songbook/theme.html

I"m at work, Smackie, so I can't tell you 100%, but I know there is at least an HDMI input into the back, most likely components too.

but this is the TV we use in the rare cases that we let the kid watch PBS or whatever.

Please, think of the children

vansmack

« Reply #2422 on: October 18, 2011, 02:08:36 pm »
First off - don't defend how you raise your child to anyone.

Secondly, if the TV has HDMI, I think the price of the Logitech Revue warrants purchase for simple web browsing and streaming on a TV.  I purchased a Nettop for streaming web content to a TV here in my office for about $199 when the Logitech Revue was at $299.  But now that it's sub $100 (I've seen it as low as $70, but you should expect to see it for around $89-$99) I think it's a steal.

I know you're an Apple guy, but the Apple TV does not do web browsing without an iPhone present.  The Revue does it natively.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/smartTV

If all you need is streaming TV with no web browsing, the Roku2 has over 300 channels (you're bound to find something) and is around $60 for the base model which will be more than fine.

http://www.roku.com/roku-products
27>34

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #2423 on: October 18, 2011, 02:47:59 pm »
If all you need is streaming TV with no web browsing, the Roku2 has over 300 channels (you're bound to find something) and is around $60 for the base model which will be more than fine.

Be careful. Unless you also stream via Amazon, Netflix and/or Hulu Plus, it's loaded with a lot of junk.

Currently, I'm looking at the Veebeam but haven't made up my mind yet. One thing that I do not like is that you must choose either one that works with HD or the one that can be used with older tvs with the RCA inputs. I'd much rather have one that allows for both as the Roku 2 XS does. Would even pay more to be able to do so. It just pays to allow for versatility. I'm just not sure that it will allow for streaming anything you can view on your computer. Roku doesn't. Even the USB stations are buggy and limited as all get out.

nkotb

« Reply #2424 on: October 18, 2011, 02:51:18 pm »
First off, I agree.  But GGW is the exception.  I feel answering to him betters me...and the world.

Second, neither of those have subscriptions (beyond OnDemand or other subscriptions)?  That's amazing.  What a time to be alive.

Thanks...I think that's exactly what I needed.

First off - don't defend how you raise your child to anyone.

Secondly, if the TV has HDMI, I think the price of the Logitech Revue warrants purchase for simple web browsing and streaming on a TV.  I purchased a Nettop for streaming web content to a TV here in my office for about $199 when the Logitech Revue was at $299.  But now that it's sub $100 (I've seen it as low as $70, but you should expect to see it for around $89-$99) I think it's a steal.

I know you're an Apple guy, but the Apple TV does not do web browsing without an iPhone present.  The Revue does it natively.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/smartTV

nkotb

« Reply #2425 on: October 18, 2011, 02:55:19 pm »
Actually, that's the plan: using Netflix and Hulu (mostly...also streaming stuff via the web) subscriptions.

Be careful. Unless you also stream via Amazon, Netflix and/or Hulu Plus, it's loaded with a lot of junk.

Currently, I'm looking at the Veebeam but haven't made up my mind yet. One thing that I do not like is that you must choose either one that works with HD or the one that can be used with older tvs with the RCA inputs. I'd much rather have one that allows for both as the Roku 2 XS does. Would even pay more to be able to do so. It just pays to allow for versatility. I'm just not sure that it will allow for streaming anything you can view on your computer. Roku doesn't. Even the USB stations are buggy and limited as all get out.

vansmack

« Reply #2426 on: October 18, 2011, 02:59:35 pm »
Second, neither of those have subscriptions (beyond OnDemand or other subscriptions)?  That's amazing.  What a time to be alive.

No.  No subscription fees for the devices, but some of the content might not be (Amazon, Hulu+, Netflix, etc.). 

If it were me, I would get the Logitech Revue.  Much more flexible than the Roku and I expect it will be improved on soon by Google.
27>34

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #2427 on: October 18, 2011, 03:01:30 pm »
@NKOTB: Then it will be worth it. But do realize that it only streams Hulu Plus, not the freebie streams. Just make sure you go for the Roku 2XS, if you go for one of their products. Also get it through their website and buy the discounted HDMI cable and the extra memory chip. It will also include free shipping.

Smackie and Chaz, I'd still like to know your takes on the Veebeam.

vansmack

« Reply #2428 on: October 18, 2011, 03:07:57 pm »
If it were me, I would get the Logitech Revue.  Much more flexible than the Roku and I expect it will be improved on soon by Google.

I just talked to my buddy who has Google TV and he said to tell you that Hulu Support is not native on the Plus, there are work arounds, and that you need not worry because "it's coming ;)"

That means that either Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich are on their way to the GTV device.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 03:14:36 pm by vansmack »
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2429 on: October 18, 2011, 03:14:15 pm »
Smackie and Chaz, I'd still like to know your takes on the Veebeam.

$99 for a wireless PC-to-TV Link seems steep to me, especially as I no longer own a PC.

I think the other devices listed at equal or lesser prices serve to remove the PC from the entertainment center and that's the future.
27>34