Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1894105 times)

i am gay and i like cats

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #2430 on: October 18, 2011, 03:23:22 pm »
so . . . is blu ray dead yet?  i have one, but rarely watch anything on it, and when i do i have to readjust the sound settings on the tv so the background noise doesn't drown out the dialogue.  great way to watch movies but it seems tedious and not worth it at times.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #2431 on: October 18, 2011, 03:31:36 pm »
Smackie and Chaz, I'd still like to know your takes on the Veebeam.

$99 for a wireless PC-to-TV Link seems steep to me, especially as I no longer own a PC.

I think the other devices listed at equal or lesser prices serve to remove the PC from the entertainment center and that's the future.

Okay, look at it this way:

I'd like something that allows me to stream anything I can stream on my (pretty decent) PC onto an old crappy tv. Of course, would prefer the ability to use it on a better HD tv whenever my fortunes greatly improve. That's not happening anytime soon.

I've got ~$100 to play with and that's it.

Ideally, a temporary fix to (hopefully) a better step up down the road which will then have even more options available to consider. The way things are looking, that's going to be a long road too.

vansmack

« Reply #2432 on: October 18, 2011, 03:34:48 pm »
Honestly Jag, I would save my money for a couple months and buy a better TV.  It makes no sense to take a wonderful picture from your desktop (at least 1080p) and down res it to a 480p TV.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2433 on: October 18, 2011, 03:43:06 pm »
so . . . is blu ray dead yet? 

Blu-Ray was dead before it arrived, and I told you that on this board somewhere when I declared that tangible media was dead.
27>34

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #2434 on: October 18, 2011, 03:44:08 pm »
I expect it will be improved on soon by Google.

have you heard anything on timing for the google tv honeycomb update?
(o|o)

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2435 on: October 18, 2011, 03:46:25 pm »
so . . . is blu ray dead yet? 

Blu-Ray was dead before it arrived, and I told you that on this board somewhere when I declared that tangible media was dead.

i know you did . . . that is why i mentioned it here.  you're such the vanstrodamus.

Jaguar

« Reply #2436 on: October 18, 2011, 03:47:29 pm »
Honestly Jag, I would save my money for a couple months and buy a better TV.  It makes no sense to take a wonderful picture from your desktop (at least 1080p) and down res it to a 480p TV.

I thought about that but, sadly, it would take me more than a couple months to save up enough for a better tv. Besides, there are other issues involved with that which I prefer to not post here.

The resolution thing is an issue though now that you mention it.

Hmmm, maybe I will hold off and allow procrastination to kick in. Sometimes that works in my favor. I've gotten use to settling for my laptop screen which is about medium sized. It's really only an issue when I'm trying to view something with other people. Between the size and the glare from an angle, it's not even worth it.

Thanks for your input.

vansmack

« Reply #2437 on: October 18, 2011, 04:07:32 pm »
have you heard anything on timing for the google tv honeycomb update?

On October 4, Google said it was "probably 3-4 weeks away"
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2438 on: October 18, 2011, 04:19:19 pm »
Jag - there's no need to go wireless then in the short term.  Just get a VGA to Composite (RCA Jacks) or Component cable if your TV supports is (RGB) for $10 hook up your laptop to your TV that way.  That would run you under $10.
27>34

Jaguar

« Reply #2439 on: October 18, 2011, 04:23:21 pm »
Jag - there's no need to go wireless then in the short term.  Just get a VGA to Composite (RCA Jacks) or Component cable if your TV supports is (RGB) for $10 hook up your laptop to your TV that way.  That would run you under $10.

Several months ago, I was going to buy this which was suggested to me..... but then I read this:

"Product Description
This cable allows you to view pictures and videos from camcorders on your USB-enabled television or on your PC.
This item does not come with any software and HDE cannot provide any.
THIS CABLE WILL NOT WORK FOR CONNECTING A COMPUTER TO A TV. You cannot get an image signal through a USB port that way. This cable is not transferring data or files, it is only for viewing images on RCA-equipped camcorders."

Sounds like it won't work though not sure either.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2440 on: October 18, 2011, 04:34:35 pm »

Several months ago, I was going to buy this which was suggested to me..... but then I read this:

"Product Description
This cable allows you to view pictures and videos from camcorders on your USB-enabled television or on your PC.
This item does not come with any software and HDE cannot provide any.
THIS CABLE WILL NOT WORK FOR CONNECTING A COMPUTER TO A TV. You cannot get an image signal through a USB port that way. This cable is not transferring data or files, it is only for viewing images on RCA-equipped camcorders."

Sounds like it won't work though not sure either.

and you did the right thing, since that cable wouldn't work for you.  whoever suggested that to you was wrong.

you want a VGA-to-composite (single RCA) cable; or VGA-to-component (multiple RCA) if your TV supports it.  there is no USB involved here.  the VGA port on your laptop is the one you use to hook up a projector (or in this case, an external monitor, AKA your TV).
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #2441 on: October 18, 2011, 04:40:43 pm »
You know, what - just get this:

http://www.amazon.com/Lake-Converter-compatible-Windows-S-Video/dp/B00351VWKI/ref=pd_cp_e_3

And choose what ever cables you want.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 04:44:42 pm by vansmack »
27>34

Jaguar

« Reply #2442 on: October 18, 2011, 05:10:24 pm »
Thanks to both of you!

The scary thing is that the exact cable that won't work was suggested to me by my brother-in-law whose profession is in IT. Not the first time I doubted his 'knowledge' and ended up being right.

Actually, I might be better off getting both of your suggestions. I like having extra types of cables and such around for all sorts of functions. Thing is, it often seems that I end up needing just the type that I don't have.

This is close enough to what my computer is. Not exactly the same but, other than visuals, I haven't noticed much of a difference on the basics listed. Probably something in the finer print specs.

The tv is an old piece of crap with 3 RCA inputs in the front and I think one in the back.

Btw NKOTB and anyone else considering a Roku 2XS (don't even consider the lower models!): If you hook up a USB cable to the thing, it cannot read any drives on a computer (at least, mine in too illiterate to do so). You'll have to hook it up to an external harddrive. That works fine... until you then have to get past the stupidness of it being able to recognize your files. It sees some but not most. I'm still trying to figure out yet if it's because they aren't compatible files or if it's something goofy with the naming or folder issues. Luckily, I like old movies and some really off-beat and even bad ones or I'd be movieless unless I opted for some subscription. Have been considering Hulu Plus and ditching cable but not sold on that either. I like that they have the Criterion Collection which is the big seller for me as far as available services go.

wml7

« Reply #2443 on: October 18, 2011, 11:05:24 pm »
so . . . is blu ray dead yet?  i have one, but rarely watch anything on it, and when i do i have to readjust the sound settings on the tv so the background noise doesn't drown out the dialogue.  great way to watch movies but it seems tedious and not worth it at times.

Blu Ray  ;D

vansmack

« Reply #2444 on: October 25, 2011, 12:56:44 pm »
hope you bought, 'cause looks like this ship just might be turning around:

Or not...these projections are awful.  My only hope is the Amazon acquisition at this point:

Currently trading at $77.71(!)

27>34