Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1894162 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #2835 on: July 15, 2013, 10:03:12 am »
I'd love to do this!

vansmack

« Reply #2836 on: July 17, 2013, 04:01:40 pm »
I think I speak for most of MLB when I say, at this point, I'm much more concerned about the impact of Manny Ramirez's return to MLB with Texas than I am with A-Rod's return to the Yankees.
27>34

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2837 on: July 17, 2013, 05:16:04 pm »
too bad i still hate baseball.  i think that my weirdo roku player has some kind of nice baseball package.  i think hockey and the nba, too.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #2838 on: July 17, 2013, 05:19:01 pm »
I'm doing my cord cutting dry run for about a week.

Unblock-us lets me watch Nats games on MLB.TV, including yesterday's that was supposedly blacked out nationally due to Fox rights.  $5 a month, no VPN required.  I'm sold.
interesting.  I'm considering ditching cable for about the millionth time.

the best part is all the new gear and services you can justify buying in order to replace the cable service.  oh, and the meticulous tech/gadget planning, which is nearly as fun.
(o|o)

vansmack

« Reply #2839 on: July 17, 2013, 05:27:12 pm »
too bad i still hate baseball.  i think that my weirdo roku player has some kind of nice baseball package.  i think hockey and the nba, too.

How Do I Remove a Channel from my Roku?
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2840 on: July 17, 2013, 05:32:38 pm »
the best part is all the new gear and services you can justify buying in order to replace the cable service.  oh, and the meticulous tech/gadget planning, which is nearly as fun.

Yes.  Sadly, I wasn't uniform in my purchases, so I have an Xbox in one room, a Roku or two scattered about and a couple of Tivo Premiere's lingering about because of Soccer.  Since they're not all uniform in their offerings, this has a bit problematic when I'm in the wrong room to watch certain offerings.

I am also still exercising my self-imposed Netflix ban.  I have been pretty good about using those savings to rent new(ish) to market movies from Google and Amazon (of course, recognizing my self-imposed Comcast On Demand ban).  My principled stances make things very difficult on myself.   
27>34

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2841 on: July 17, 2013, 05:53:26 pm »
my favorite channels on roku, i gave up cable fully eight years ago by the way, are revision three, giant bomb, ign, gay life tv, nbcnews, weather underground, pbs, smithsonian, netflix, crackle . . . and tmz.

vansmack

« Reply #2842 on: July 17, 2013, 06:14:43 pm »
my favorite channels on roku, i gave up cable fully eight years ago by the way, are revision three, giant bomb, ign, gay life tv, nbcnews, weather underground, pbs, smithsonian, netflix, crackle . . . and tmz.

Interesting.  I watch PBS from your list but little else.

Mine are MLB.TV, Amazon Instant Video, Vimeo, TED, Economist Radio, Hulu+ and HBOGo. 

For local/personal playback: Plex, Picasa and Shuttefly.
27>34

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #2843 on: July 17, 2013, 06:19:49 pm »
Smackie: In case you didnt see it mentioned in another thread - I highly recommend checking out How to Make Money Selling Drugs playing at the Roxie. I think its only there through Thurs. Its *very* worth seeing!
HeyLa

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #2844 on: July 17, 2013, 11:33:22 pm »

Interesting.  I watch PBS from your list but little else.

PBS needs to get the Newshour posted a lot quicker each evening.
(o|o)

vansmack

« Reply #2845 on: July 24, 2013, 01:09:47 pm »
Chromecast.

I've been using the feature for a few weeks now and it's incredible.  Easiest way to get content from your Android/Windows/iOS/Mac/Chrome device to a TV or stereo.

And it's $35.

Smackie Approved.

https://play.google.com/store

(it will be in Best Buy this weekend as well)

If you'd like to see it in action.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 01:26:48 pm by vansmack »
27>34

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #2846 on: July 24, 2013, 02:00:26 pm »
Chromecast.

I've been using the feature for a few weeks now and it's incredible.  Easiest way to get content from your Android/Windows/iOS/Mac/Chrome device to a TV or stereo.

And it's $35.

Smackie Approved.

https://play.google.com/store

(it will be in Best Buy this weekend as well)

If you'd like to see it in action.
Can it do straight screen mirroring from a mac or pc (ie apple tv), or does it just work in certain apps?

Cutting the chord is imminent.

vansmack

« Reply #2847 on: July 24, 2013, 02:20:22 pm »
Can it do straight screen mirroring from a mac or pc (ie apple tv), or does it just work in certain apps?

No it does not.

On mobile devices (Android/iOS) it relies on app support, though the API is being freely shared.

On PC/Mac/Chrome it relies on Chrome Browser support.  If you can watch/listen in a Chrome Browser, you can watch/listen on your TV.
27>34

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #2848 on: July 24, 2013, 02:23:01 pm »

No it does not.

On mobile devices (Android/iOS) it relies on app support, though the API is being freely shared.

On PC/Mac/Chrome it relies on Chrome Browser support.  If you can watch/listen in a Chrome Browser, you can watch/listen on your TV.
That sucks.  Wish it could cast mp4, mpg etc. 
there's always apple tv for that i suppose.

vansmack

« Reply #2849 on: July 24, 2013, 02:34:21 pm »
That sucks.  Wish it could cast mp4, mpg etc. 
there's always apple tv for that i suppose.

I suspect that apps like Plex will have Cast support very soon.

I use Google Play Music so my music will already play.  Locally stored videos, however, I have yet to find a solution (and am basically waiting on plex as its what I use on my server).
27>34