Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1894011 times)

vansmack

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #4230 on: November 15, 2016, 03:08:06 pm »
I was going to post this article about Apple making a $299 coffee table book with photos of their devices throughout the years in the When Reality Reflects The Onion thread, but I decided I would rather see you tee off on this instead. So, have at it. . .

That shouldn't surprise anyone. And people will buy them up as holiday gifts for sure.

I am a huge Annie Leibovitz fan and couldn't pull the trigger on a first edition Photographs 1970-1990 at $150 (hardcover).  $300 for the photography of Andrew Zuckerman only photographing Apple products is just insane,  but I have no doubt they will on coffee tables of friends in SF after the holidays.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #4231 on: November 15, 2016, 03:22:30 pm »
Nice.  You got the S model, I hope.

I've been waiting for this.  As I was looking at the Evoque and the Discovery Sport, I could hear you chirping in my ear "get the bigger one!"

The S was off the table as part of the settlement negotiations with the Porsche/Audi dealer.  I even attempted the base price equivalent and then upgrade to the S/GTS/Turbo, but no.  I was offered a base Macan and the opportunity to pay for upgrades, which I did.
27>34

ggw

« Reply #4232 on: November 15, 2016, 03:38:29 pm »
Nice.  You got the S model, I hope.

I've been waiting for this.  As I was looking at the Evoque and the Discovery Sport, I could hear you chirping in my ear "get the bigger one!"

The S was off the table as part of the settlement negotiations with the Porsche/Audi dealer.  I even attempted the base price equivalent and then upgrade to the S/GTS/Turbo, but no.  I was offered a base Macan and the opportunity to pay for upgrades, which I did.

The Evoque is terrible.  Classic case of taking a very good car and trying to miniaturize it.  The Macan is great in itself; it isn't just a mini-Cayenne.  Many say it's superior to its big brother. 

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4233 on: November 15, 2016, 03:51:01 pm »
I was going to post this article about Apple making a $299 coffee table book with photos of their devices throughout the years in the When Reality Reflects The Onion thread, but I decided I would rather see you tee off on this instead. So, have at it. . .

That shouldn't surprise anyone. And people will buy them up as holiday gifts for sure.

I am a huge Annie Leibovitz fan and couldn't pull the trigger on a first edition Photographs 1970-1990 at $150 (hardcover).  $300 for the photography of Andrew Zuckerman only photographing Apple products is just insane,  but I have no doubt they will on coffee tables of friends in SF after the holidays.
I'm holding out for the rumoured $349 deluxe Apple Coffee Table Book S in rose gold that supposedly we're getting early next year.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 03:52:32 pm by Julian, the BELOVED »
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #4234 on: November 15, 2016, 03:57:18 pm »
The Evoque is terrible.  Classic case of taking a very good car and trying to miniaturize it.  The Macan is great in itself; it isn't just a mini-Cayenne.  Many say it's superior to its big brother. 

You're spot on about the Evoque.  It was a terrible drive and I preferred the Disco Sport to it, but just barely.  I was very disappointed with the line and both fell behind the X1 after driving them.  But nothing touched the Macan in that class in terms of luxury and performance.  I took a 500 mile drive last week down Pacific Coast Highway with a guy who owns a Cayenne and he's ready to trade his in for the Macan.
27>34

« Reply #4235 on: December 14, 2016, 11:25:10 am »
Smackie, are you going to beat the hell out of that car before you turn it back in?
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #4236 on: December 14, 2016, 12:58:43 pm »
Smackie, are you going to beat the hell out of that car before you turn it back in?

It's already gone, but both head lights were out, the service engine light had been on for the last 5,000 miles and one of the mirror side mirrors was hanging on for dear life from being parked on the street for the last month.

I thought about beating the piss out of it, but that would just about assure the worst case scenario for the polluter - further pollution by being stacked up in the junkyard with 450,000 other similar models.  That didn't make sense to me and even if VW cuts some of it's losses by selling a repaired version of my car, it was better in my eyes than scrap heap.

27>34

« Reply #4237 on: December 14, 2016, 10:13:31 pm »
that is some funny shit

I don't think I ever got the question answered.

if you use biodiesel in one of these
what is the impact to emissions?

slack

« Reply #4238 on: December 14, 2016, 11:07:32 pm »
this seems as good a thread as any to ask

Has anyone had experience with  Home Energy Monitors

looking at Sense, Neurino  and Curb
slack

« Reply #4239 on: December 14, 2016, 11:59:52 pm »
I'm drunk and ubering home from a cocktail party where I met Tom Ridge and I just found this. . .

http://gizmodo.com/this-is-a-250-lube-dispenser-1790091929?rev=1481727689570&utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

. . . and I could think of no place to share it but here.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #4240 on: December 15, 2016, 09:36:00 am »
Tom Ridge? Seems like a good guy

« Reply #4241 on: December 15, 2016, 09:47:35 am »
He drank one glass of white wine and then left.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #4242 on: December 15, 2016, 10:23:30 am »

thanks for the report...

« Reply #4243 on: December 15, 2016, 10:27:21 am »

thanks for the report...
I'm a journalist first and a human second.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #4244 on: December 15, 2016, 12:49:24 pm »
if you use biodiesel in one of these
what is the impact to emissions?

The actual physical output of CO2 is roughly the same, but the measurement of Overall Impact would be less because of the offset of the plant that produced the biodiesel taking in as much CO2 as you would be omitting.

Depending on the concentration of the biodiesel, 100% biodiesel fuel would be about 74% less green house gas emissions than standard diesel #2.  The less percentage of biodiesel, the lower the difference.  Follow the red line on the chart below:

27>34