Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243781 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #3315 on: August 19, 2013, 12:54:34 pm »
Anybody ever tried Sam Adams Imperial Dopplebock?

Somehow I acquired a Walmart gift certificate, and it seeems natural to spend it on beer. The aforementioned beer seems like the best option at Walmart.

James Ford

« Reply #3316 on: August 19, 2013, 12:58:24 pm »
Have any of you Marylanders seen this anywhere? Definitely my favorite New Belgium beer, and one of the two original beers New Belgium did, along with Fat Tire. Yet, oddly it's not available in VA, though all their other stuff is. Their website does say it's available in MD.

atomicfront

« Reply #3317 on: August 19, 2013, 01:20:44 pm »
growler and julius update.

i went out to tree house brewing company on saturday. between me and my buddy, we snagged seven 750ml growler fills, three of them being julius.  first, let me describe how fucking awesome this place is.

tree house is a nano-brewer i believe (5 barrel system), and they have four drafts constantly available.  the tree house exists, but the brew area is in a shed basically in some dudes back yard.  the place is stunningly gorgeous, the people were all incredibly friendly, and the beer was fantastic.  we put in our growler orders, and waited about 45 minutes for them to be filled.  they have a beautiful seating area, a small pond, and a gazebo and everyone kind of hangs out playing cards or whatever, talking to the brewers (while they brew!), or eating a lunch they packed.  record player spinning in the growler shop.  this is basically james ford's heaven.

the beer... i had tornado, that's what she said, and julius.  all three were great, that's what she said was a perfect milk stout, and tornado was an okay IPA, but julius.  holy shit julius.  that is the best beer i've ever drank.

and in regards to the growlers. i drank a julius immediately, i let tornado sit for 24 hours after i opened it and it went flat, and i packed the third julius growler in my luggage and plan to consume it tonight.

Sounds awesome. I can't say I'll ever be in that area but if so... I'll definitely check that out.

Also, atomicfront recommends keeping your growler for a month for maximum freshness. LOL

I didn't recommend it. I  said I had a growler in my closet and drank it after a month and it was fine. 

stevewizzle

« Reply #3318 on: August 19, 2013, 01:31:50 pm »
Hey Stevewizzle (or anybody else),

Are there any public transporation accessible breweries to visit in the Boston area between Sunday and Wednesday? Planner that I am, I'm thinking ahead to a business trip in 2014. Sam and Harpoon are obvious choices, but maybe there are others? (Think Jack's Abbey is too far out, and wrong days)

JF

i'll ask friends, but this is my 0.02:

lucky you, harpoon just expanded and they are right on the silver line.  there tour is more of just a drink-as-much-as-you-can event for cheap (it use to be free!), and i'd say it's worth it.

cambridge brewing company is fantastic. not far off from the kendall square T. and it's not too far from lord hobo, so you can hit two stops in one.

night shift is just outside of the city, and you could get there with a subway/bus combo.

bukowksi's is not a brewery, but it's amazing in it's own right.

won't be able to get out to jack's abbey using public trans, but i hear it's a great stop.  i believe it's free unlimited tastings.

stevewizzle

« Reply #3319 on: August 19, 2013, 01:34:09 pm »
Sounds awesome. I can't say I'll ever be in that area but if so... I'll definitely check that out.

they are going through a litigation battle about operating where they do right now because of a disgruntled neighbor.  maybe we can convince them to move to DC.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3320 on: August 19, 2013, 03:16:54 pm »
Have any of you Marylanders seen this anywhere? Definitely my favorite New Belgium beer, and one of the two original beers New Belgium did, along with Fat Tire. Yet, oddly it's not available in VA, though all their other stuff is. Their website does say it's available in MD.

yup, i've seen the abbey ale 'round my 'hood.  haven't tried it yet.  i can bring some to the next bottle share, trade ya for something we can't get o'er here.

Anybody ever tried Sam Adams Imperial Dopplebock?

Somehow I acquired a Walmart gift certificate, and it seeems natural to spend it on beer. The aforementioned beer seems like the best option at Walmart.

is this the what you're talking about? http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/47785.  if so: no, i haven't tried it, the two other "imperial series" that i've had were ok.  i'd be willing to give it a try on a gift certificate.  it's either that or a new pair of swim trunks, and no one wants that.

seems to me that "imperial dopplebock" would be redundant, since the "dopple" in dopplebock already implies the same thing as "imperial".  it would be like saying "imperial DIPA."    boston beer co. innovated the "triple bock" back in the 90's, to many purists chagrin. 
<sig>

atomicfront

« Reply #3321 on: August 19, 2013, 04:07:17 pm »
http://adage.com/article/news/millercoors-anheuser-busch-inbev-bet-boozier-brews/243717/

All you kids will be drinking Miller Fortune and Budweiser Black Crown before too long.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3322 on: August 20, 2013, 12:23:47 pm »
quick reminder: DC Homebrewers BBQ is this saturday.  now looks like there might be limited homebrew being served.  in addition to food and craft beers (bells and boulevard!), there will be brewing demonstrations (3 different techniques) and 6 educational presentations. 

Greetings homebrewing enthusiasts!

On August 24th, 2013, the DC Homebrewers (DCHB) will be hosting their 2nd Annual BBQ, sponsored by Sam Adams, at Kastles Stadium along the southwest waterfront in Washington, DC. The annual BBQ serves as a chance for the all-volunteer club to showcase and educate their members and the public on alternative brewing styles, sensory panels, and current industry standards to help new and advanced homebrewers take their brewing to the next level.

This year, all proceeds from the BBQ will benefit the Common Good City Farm, an urban farm and education center located on a half-acre lot in LeDroit Park.  Their mission is to grow food, educate, and help low-income DC community members meet their food needs and provide educational opportunities for all. For more information, visit http://commongoodcityfarm.org/.

Ticket price includes admission, a plate of BBQ (vegetarian option will be available), two sides, a hand-crafted soda, Sam Adams beer and an additional beer ticket for one of several craft beers that will be on tap during the event. Additional beer tickets will be available for $5.

DCHB BBQ Summary
Price: $15, kids 10 and under are free
When: Saturday August 24th, 2013 from 2-6 pm
Where: Kastles Stadium, 800 Water St. SW DC

Beers:
Sam Adams
Angry Orchard
Flying Dog
3 Stars
DC Brau
Bells
Boulevard
Mad Fox
Duvel
and more!

During the event we will have educational seminars presented by DCHB Club Members, Washington Nationals Natmobile for the kids, various vendors, games, and a raffle to help raise funds for the CGCF.

Raffle item highlights:
Odyssey Cruises
Uber Gift Cards
Private dinner from CESaute
Hat signed by Danny Espinosa
Ball signed by Wilson Ramos
Certificate good for 4 infield box Nationals tickets
Adam LaRoche personally donated signed and bat and ball
Booze, beer, art, brewing equipment, and much, much more!

Education:

Demonstrations
Extract Brewing with John Lutz: 3-5 PM
All Grain Brewing with Jim Koebel 2-6 PM
Brew-In-A-Bag with Peter Jones 2-6 PM

Presentations
2:45 - Nanomashing: Tasting Caramel Malts
3:15 - Homebrew Outreach and Participation Sisterhood (HOPS)
3:45 - Yeasts Gone Wild
4:15 - Brewing Historical Beers
4:45 - Beer Judging Tips and Tricks
5:15 - Hop Growing 101

Cheers!
<sig>

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3323 on: August 20, 2013, 12:47:37 pm »
can some brewery go ahead and have all of their beers put into bottles and then put into cans . . . let them all sit for 6 months and then have a can versus bottle throwdown, to finally put an end to this b.s.?

stevewizzle

« Reply #3324 on: August 20, 2013, 12:49:57 pm »
i'll be at the bbq  8)

Yada

« Reply #3325 on: August 20, 2013, 01:07:51 pm »
Can anyone confirm if Wings is readily available at all times now at DC Brau?

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3326 on: August 20, 2013, 01:10:05 pm »
dc brau is making huge wavvvves . . .  oooh look, im edgy like the new kids . . . in my area all of a sudden.  people wearing shirts, stores carrying beers.  i think people look at dc "anything" differently, because of the success of the nationals, right now.

Yada

« Reply #3327 on: August 20, 2013, 01:27:40 pm »
dc brau is making huge wavvvves . . .  oooh look, im edgy like the new kids . . . in my area all of a sudden.  people wearing shirts, stores carrying beers.  i think people look at dc "anything" differently, because of the success of the nationals, right now.

Two things... DC Brau has pretty crappy beer other than Wings IMO.

Also, what success are the Nationals having?

brennser

« Reply #3328 on: August 20, 2013, 01:27:57 pm »
Can anyone confirm if Wings is readily available at all times now at DC Brau?
a lot of the hype seems to have died down now that it is a semi regular release so you have a reasonable chance of getting it any time although it could be anything from days old to 8 weeks old based on what I know about their schedule

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3329 on: August 20, 2013, 01:29:39 pm »
people out here in the sticks all of sudden are coming out of the sticks to root for them.  good lord, i see so much nationals merch all over people and kids and dogs and cats and cars, in the last two years, i hate the color red now.