Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243898 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #3825 on: November 21, 2013, 11:20:04 am »
I have a friend who raves about one of their pale ales, but it's not a friend whose beer opinions I take too seriously.

I'd say their beers are interesting, but seems like they haven't put out anything yet that's really going to put them on the map. (?)

Their prices seemed a bit high the one time I was there.

Anything worth trying at Three Stars?

I may hit up the growler hours with a friend this evening.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #3826 on: November 21, 2013, 11:53:27 am »
Anything worth trying at Three Stars?

I may hit up the growler hours with a friend this evening.

Their Citra & Lemon Peel Saison is a great ballpark beer whenever I attend Nats games.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3827 on: November 21, 2013, 01:09:26 pm »
foggy bottom whole foods now serving pints and filling growlers.

<sig>

Bagley

« Reply #3828 on: November 21, 2013, 01:37:45 pm »
Gonna check out the DFH American Beauty on tap tonight at their local Montgomery county watering hole...
anyone give it a try yet?

James Ford

« Reply #3829 on: November 21, 2013, 01:52:58 pm »
I imagine it will still be cheaper to drink a store purchased bottle in their café than drink a pint poured there.

Yada

« Reply #3830 on: November 21, 2013, 02:16:15 pm »
I imagine it will still be cheaper to drink a store purchased bottle in their café than drink a pint poured there.

You are most likely correct.

Have any of you nerds heard of this guy before?

From Citizen's Brewery in SS

Citizens Brewing Co is excited to announce our co-owner and Great American Beer Festival Award-winning Head Brewer, Jeff Ramirez After graduating from Siebel Institute Of Technology & World Brewing Academy in Chicago, Jeff started his career at Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant and most recently, has worked as the Head Brewer at Mountain Sun Pub & Brewery in Boulder, CO. Jeff is adept at tweaking classics to make them even better and also enjoys introducing craft beer novices to new styles like sour beers. A favorite of ours is his Saison, with notes of tart pineapple and spice. But we also can?t wait to serve his Bourbon barrel-aged Imperial Chocolate Stout! Getting thirsty yet? Citizens Brewing Co is proud to be bringing a craft beer talent like Ramirez to Silver Spring!

James Ford

« Reply #3831 on: November 21, 2013, 03:05:54 pm »
The Fairfax Whole Foods has 16 or so draft lines. You actually are not allowed to consume bottles purchased at the store in the store.

The draft lines are at pseudo-restaurant stations within Whole Foods. One even servers bottles with an inflated price in addition to the drafts.

However, since the Foggy Bottom "café" is simply an area to consume your store purchased food and not a "psedo-restaurant" different rules may apply.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3832 on: November 21, 2013, 04:10:46 pm »
Have any of you nerds heard of this guy before?

Jeff Ramirez

nope.  maybe he's big in the denver scene but i've never heard that name...
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3833 on: November 21, 2013, 04:14:48 pm »
Greg Engert: the brains behind Bluejacket... and meat-flavored beer.
http://www.esquire.com/blogs/food-for-men/beer-taste-like-meat-1113
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #3834 on: November 21, 2013, 04:16:40 pm »

at least they didn't include a picture of him

James Ford

« Reply #3835 on: November 21, 2013, 04:25:05 pm »
Can we trade Greg Engert for Greg Koch?

James Ford

« Reply #3836 on: November 21, 2013, 04:43:52 pm »
In case you don't have Black Friday plans, and you don't plan on waiting in the long line for this in Chicago on Black Friday, there's this:

The TW in Sterling will have BCBS 4pks on 11/29. Their distro is different from the close in burbs and arrangements have been made to have the beers available when the store opens on 11/29, logistics be damned.

copied and pasted from a beer advocate thread:

Alright, here is the low down on BCBS and variants for Northern Virginia.

We tinkered with releasing it concurrently with Goose Island on Black Friday. For several reasons, it would be a logistical nightmare. So that isn't going to happen. It will all be released the week of December 2nd. Most stores will be receiving their BCBS the day of their normal delivery. A few may get it earlier in the week (but it won't be many, as the whole logistics thing...)

So the week of December 2nd it is. As for amounts, I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of Bourbon County, Bourbon County Coffee, and Bourbon County Barleywine that the area received. However, the amount of Backyard Rye will be less than the amount of Cherry Rye the area got last year.

Hope that helps! I'd get more specific but I want to limit my competition out in the market.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3837 on: November 21, 2013, 11:00:36 pm »
oh, great.  the news the beer world has been waiting for... samuel adams is finally jumping on the IPA bandwagon.  pertinent details:

"Introducing Rebel IPA, the first all-American hops, West Coast style IPA from the same brewers that started a craft beer revolution in 1984."
HOP VARIETIES: American Cascade, Simcoe®, Chinook, Centennial, and Amarillo
6.5%ABV
IBUs: 45
(http://www.samueladams.com/craft-beers/rebel-ipa)

it's holding a 82 on BA, so it can't be all bad (nor is it all good, either) http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/95386
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #3838 on: November 21, 2013, 11:45:54 pm »
sounds like a pale ale to me

quote author=sweetcell link=topic=19630.msg373826#msg373826 date=1385089236]
oh, great.  the news the beer world has been waiting for... samuel adams is finally jumping on the IPA bandwagon.  pertinent details:

"Introducing Rebel IPA, the first all-American hops, West Coast style IPA from the same brewers that started a craft beer revolution in 1984."
HOP VARIETIES: American Cascade, Simcoe®, Chinook, Centennial, and Amarillo
6.5%ABV
IBUs: 45
(http://www.samueladams.com/craft-beers/rebel-ipa)

it's holding a 82 on BA, so it can't be all bad (nor is it all good, either) http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/95386
[/quote]

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3839 on: November 22, 2013, 10:14:16 pm »
did some beer shoping today:

- Dominion Millennium barley wine 2013 (so I can compare it to the 2011 i've been sitting on)
- Backwoods Bastard (just because)
- New Holland Dragon's Milk bourbon barrel stout (for the cellar)
- Duvel Tripel Hop 2013 (dry-hopped with Sorachi Ace... mmmmmmmmmmm)
- Dominion "Pinup" variety pack: a mix of their Double D IPA (respectable), Candi tripel (very good), and Morning Glory espresso stout (smooooth).  $14 for a 12-pack of strong beers, all are over 9%.  they had a sales rep pouring samples at Rodmans.  by no means mind-blowing but all very good.  very "accessible" - i'll keep these (except for the IPA) around for folks just getting into craft beer. 

sounds like a pale ale to me

technically it fits the BJCO description of an IPA... but just barely.  a pale ale's max IBUs is 45, while an IPA's is 40-70 (so it fits into both categories).  but a pale ale's max ABV is 6.2%, while IPAs go from 5.5-7.5%.
<sig>