Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243802 times)

vansmack

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #5550 on: June 30, 2015, 05:48:07 pm »
I had two miller high lifes last night!

Me too.
27>34

stevewizzle

« Reply #5551 on: June 30, 2015, 05:48:44 pm »
so back on topic...

i've got the sour train running at home.  letting my wild saison sit in a corny keg for 6+ months, and then I think i'll bottle half, age the other half in a 3 gal corny keg with some fruit for a couple more months.  had a recent splurge on some kegs for aging beer because i realized that plastic is disposable, glass is difficult to transport, and kegs hold their value along with being very sturdy/easy to transport.  it really is the perfect vessel for storing beer.

also about to rack off my portion of my barrel-aged sour that's been aging in a chardonnay barrel for 12 months now.  will brew an oud bruin for that barrel next (Jamil's oud bruin recipe).

also! got a hop-bursted IPA that i'm cold crashing now, will dry-hop tomorrow, and real excited to taste that batch.  i've been using US-05 for all my IPAs for the past 2 years, and while i really can't speak highly enough about that yeast, i gave london ale III a shot after hearing all the hype about how it produces that vermont-style IPA flavor.   i'll report back with results when it's ready.

I had two miller high lifes last night!

forgot to check em in, bro!

stevewizzle

« Reply #5552 on: June 30, 2015, 05:50:52 pm »
Drinking two glasses of Wisconsin Belgian Red at New Glarus on Sunday was like a religious experience for this beer geek. Fortunately, it didn't inspire me to shoot up a beach full of tourists.

Brought home some goodies from New Glarus and Toppling Goliath, yesssireee.

oh cool you're back to making discriminatory remarks against religion great thats my favorite

I fail to see how that comment can be construed as a "discriminatory remark against religion" but as long as religion has no problem in saying that nonbelievers are going to burn in hell, I have no problem saying bad things about the fairy tales that people believe in.

And in regard to referencing one particular religion, i'm only picking on the one that inspires it's believers to kill in it's name.

If I say that there is one US political party that is more filled with anti-gay, racist climate deniers than the other party, am I being discriminatory against that party?

its a thread about beer on a forum about a music venue. your comments are misplaced at best and it's not worth discussing whether they have any merit or not.

Wow, just wow. The politically correct thought police that is the American educational system taught you frighteningly well.

I started the thread, I say jokes and digressions are allowed.

OK.

« Reply #5553 on: June 30, 2015, 10:45:49 pm »
Heading to Charleston SC for a little RnR with out the kidos (rest and relaxation not rock and roll)
quite the beer city, looking for some recommendations
Westbrook Brewing was already on the list to try their gose

But all these other options too
http://revelrybrewingco.com
http://freehousebeer.com
www.coastbrewing.com/
http://frothybeard.com
http://www.holycitybrewing.com
http://tradesmanbrewing.com
http://www.palmettobrewery.com

these two places seem pretty spectacular http://www.closed4business.com &http://edmundsoast.com
this site is a great listing http://beerofsc.com of what's available in the state, but don't plan on going further than a cab ride from Charleston

Also any other non-beer must dos would be appreciated 
Well, I am happy to say I drank nothing but local beer on my recent visit to 'the Holy City'
Everything I had from Freehouse and Revelry were great.  I wish I'd ordered more when I had the chance.  Didn't realize which ones would be hard to get at first and I would have waited on the Holy City, Palmetto and Westbrook until later in my trip?as those three were fairly common and I had to do a few repeats in my drunken saga of a long weekend.  It was really great to go in every establishment in and out of the city to find they had local brews on tap or in cans/bottles (One exception was a great Italian place called Monza?went with a Chianti as to stay true to my cause?but man that pork belly made it worth it!)

Sadly didn't make it to any brewery or distillery (was a block from High Wire Distilling)  On the two trips to Sullivan's island, I was able to find some of the best beers on Tap.  Food was top notch everywhere, one of my favorites wasn't even a meat dish, but a Beet Salad with house made ricotta at The Obstinate Daughter. 
Bar's definitely worth going to: Closed for Business, Prohibition (although not for beer) the back porch at Barsa (also quite literally the back of our apartment), Rooftop drinks at Henry's House, deck drinks at Salt @ station 22. 

My top picks were
Freehouse's Ashley Farmhouse Ale - Lots of flavor in that glass with a touch of sour with that citrusy syrupy saison feel
Westbrook's Gose - very good and very drinkable.  Has some tart with salt and citrus that would turn some off, but I could see having a 3 or 4 of these on the back porch watching the sun set.  Never thought of sour beers as refreshing summer beers, but this one definitely is.  Obviously... I need to try more Gose
Holy City's Pluff Mud Porter (on tap) this was delicious.  Got a 6 pack of the can's and it's just not the same.

White Thai, 32°/50°, Palmetto's Pale Ale and Washout Wheat were some of the best beers to drink on the deck with the sun up. Charleston really has a lot of delicious light beers available.

The Setlist(but not in order):

Holy City's Pluff Mud - American porter     
Holy City's Washout Wheat - Hefeweizen
Holy City's Chucktown Follicle Brown - American Brown Ale

Coast's 32°/50°  - Kölsch
Coast's HopArt - IPA

Palmetto's Amber - amber lager
Palmetto's Pale Ale - American Pale Ale
Palmetto's ?Hootie?s Homegrown? Ale - Blonde Ale: the third installment in the Rock Brothers Brewing line of artist inspired craft beers. We teamed up with Hootie & the Blowfish, Cigar City and Palmetto Brewing to bring you a refreshing, light, but complex craft beer.

Westbrook's Gose - German-style sour wheat beer brewed with coriander and salt
Westbrook's White Thai - is a twist on the classic Belgian witbier style w/lemongrass, ginger root and a dash of Sorachi Ace hops
Westbrook's IPA - IPA

Freehouse's Ashley Farmhouse Ale - A dry Belgian-style saison.

Revelry's Gullah - Cream Ale:  Revelry took the classic ?lawnmower? beer and turned it into something quintessentially Southern by using South Carolina grits (15% of the total grist)
Revelry's Welcome, This Is A Farmhouse - American Farmhouse

Might put a rose at The Emanuel A.M.E. Church in a show of unity
I picked an odd weekend to be there.  I started drinking a little early on Friday and ended up in Closed for Business about 30 minutes before the President delivered the eulogy for Reverend Clementa C. Pinckney.  I knew he was in town, but hadn't really planed on watching it.

Being in Charleston, less than 5 blocks from where the massacre happened 10 days before and sharing that moment with Charlestonians was a memorable experience.   I'm not going to lie, I shed a tear while watching that with the locals.  The bar was pretty hopping for a mid day, but for 30 minutes you could hear a pin drop. He really did knock it out of the park... at least from where I was watching it. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 10:50:27 pm by Sidehatch |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| »
slack

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #5554 on: July 01, 2015, 11:32:20 am »
Finally stopped at Carton on the way to the Jersey Shore last weekend. 0077XX is probably the best IPA the state of New Jersey has to offer, so I was glad they were selling that along with Dune Fruit at the brewery. Speaking of which, Dune Fruit is a kickass beach beer - not anything earth-shattering, but between the low ABV and hints of cucumber, it's a solid summertime sour.

I'm taking a week off between jobs so I'm trying to debate how I can fill that stretch. Debating a trip to Vermont but I doubt my 13 year-old, broken-AC car will make it up there.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5555 on: July 01, 2015, 12:05:05 pm »
sounds like an awesome trip to charleston.  hearing obama's speech there must have been intense.  would have loved to experience that.

Never thought of sour beers as refreshing summer beers, but this one definitely is.  Obviously... I need to try more Gose

for me, thirst-quenching summer drinks is exactly what most sours are.  it's a shame that sours tend to be expensive because a big glass of gueuze, kriek, etc. is perfect on a hot day.  hard to appreciate how sessionable a sour can be when you're charged $10+ for an 8 oz pour.  (solution: brew your own and drink them by the bomber ;D)

luckily gose and berliner wiesse are easier & faster to make so their prices are typically closer to clean (non-sour) beers.  but their sourness is one-dimensional IMO.  they have lactic tartness but no brett funk.

the missus, who until recently has been firmly opposed to sours, is starting to turn the corner.  their refreshing taste on a hot day is exactly what got her to start appreciating them... sometimes.
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #5556 on: July 02, 2015, 08:15:54 am »
Nice recap sidehatch

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #5557 on: July 02, 2015, 08:38:37 am »
brett funk.
Can we keep WWE to the killsaly's nerd crap thread?
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #5558 on: July 02, 2015, 08:42:00 am »
At the risk of digressing from a beer thread on a music chatboard  ;), is there anything to do in Charleston other than eat Southern food and go to the beach? I've thought about vacationing down there, but there doesn't seem to be enough interesting things to do in the area. What am I missing?

walk,on,by

« Reply #5560 on: July 02, 2015, 10:57:42 am »
Charleston: Food, Beer and people are great.  Super friendly and somewhat cosmopolitan residents surrounded by the south (kind of like New Orleans in that sense) Struck up conversations with so many locals  and never walked away with a frown or bad interaction
Also, like most cities (vs suburbs) the people were beautiful.  Not sure what they do with all the fat and ugly people (and if you do see them, you know they are tourists)
Definitely a hipster vibe going on with the tat's, beard and fixie bikes.

The Food and Beer alone really were worth it on their own.  Not having the kids made that part really enjoyable as we didn't have to go to restaurants that cater to kids and could stop in any bar we walked past

I got a few long bike rides in, very flat, but bike friendly and being able to cross the Ravenel bridge was especially nice

It is a great walking city, was clocking in 4-6 miles a day

We visited a plantation, which was cool as we got to see lots of wildlife and gardens in a very pastoral setting (not focusing on the slave part of it)

The music scene is somewhat lacking, but did hear a great country swing band one night

It's not quite a beach town, but the surrounding areas are.

I've heard there is some great fishing too (not my bag)

There is some serious history there and even the religious stuff is interesting too (has a synagogue was founded in the 1740s)

The water is everywhere, so having access to a boat or even a Kayak would probably be awesome
slack

stevewizzle

« Reply #5561 on: July 02, 2015, 11:39:10 am »
At the risk of digressing from a beer thread on a music chatboard  ;), is there anything to do in Charleston other than eat Southern food and go to the beach? I've thought about vacationing down there, but there doesn't seem to be enough interesting things to do in the area. What am I missing?

hey boss. i wasn't saying don't digress, i was just saying don't digress just to be an asshole.

Space Freely

« Reply #5562 on: July 02, 2015, 11:43:04 am »

hey boss. i wasn't saying don't digress, i was just saying don't digress just to be an asshole.

I wasn't being an asshole. I guess you just didn't get my point.

It is worrisome that the youth of America scream the code words "racism", "bigotry" ,"discrimination" blah, blah, blah every time they hear something they don't like. To me, that's being an asshole.

Space Freely

« Reply #5563 on: July 02, 2015, 11:45:15 am »
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g54171-Activities-Charleston_South_Carolina.html

Thanks Walky (and Sidehatch). I've looked at all those on tripadvisor, while researching a Charleston vacation for my 70+ mom. Just didn't see a whole lot of stuff that was our bag. Different strokes for different folks, I reckon. Plenty of other places to go in the world.

stevewizzle

« Reply #5564 on: July 02, 2015, 11:51:38 am »

I wasn't being an asshole. I guess you just didn't get my point.

It is worrisome that the youth of America scream the code words "racism", "bigotry" ,"discrimination" blah, blah, blah every time they hear something they don't like. To me, that's being an asshole.

maybe print this page out and go talk to your daughters principal or something.