Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3245101 times)

Unsanity

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #4005 on: December 18, 2013, 04:19:24 am »
I live really close to that whole foods but probably can't make it. I managed to snag one bottle of normal BC stout and one of the barleywine. Both were excellent. I coulda got a coffee one but declined as I'm not partial to coffee beers. That Rye one has proven elusive so far.

Yada

« Reply #4006 on: December 18, 2013, 10:45:25 am »
Any bars in the city open during the day, ideally looking for something like Meridian Pint, Church Key, Smoke and Barrel, etc.

Looking to do some bar hopping with my pops and brother in law the day after Xmas.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #4007 on: December 18, 2013, 10:52:08 am »
I'd like to go the Fairfax Whole foods event.  Don't live anywhere close to it but that might be my only chance to try the coffee.  And does schwag mean stickers?  That's all I ever seem walk away with.

We tried to do a bar hop mid-day in DC last summer. We started on 14th and neither Churchkey nor Meridian Pint were open.

Yada

« Reply #4008 on: December 18, 2013, 11:04:23 am »
  And does schwag mean stickers?  

They provide you with some low grade marijuana to enjoy with your BCBS!

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #4009 on: December 18, 2013, 11:31:40 am »
 ;D  Tempting!!!

James Ford

« Reply #4010 on: December 18, 2013, 11:43:37 am »
The Pizza Paradisos open at 11:30. Churchkey at 4, Smoke and Barrel at 5. Don't know about Meridian Pint. Maybe that new City Taphouse? RFD is open for lunch, but they are best avoided.

Any bars in the city open during the day, ideally looking for something like Meridian Pint, Church Key, Smoke and Barrel, etc.

Looking to do some bar hopping with my pops and brother in law the day after Xmas.

James Ford

« Reply #4011 on: December 18, 2013, 11:44:32 am »
The Goose Island takeover at Rustico featured free pint glasses. Not saying this will be the case here, but one can hope.

I'd like to go the Fairfax Whole foods event.  Don't live anywhere close to it but that might be my only chance to try the coffee.  And does schwag mean stickers?  That's all I ever seem walk away with.

We tried to do a bar hop mid-day in DC last summer. We started on 14th and neither Churchkey nor Meridian Pint were open.

Yada

« Reply #4012 on: December 18, 2013, 11:45:48 am »
The Pizza Paradisos open at 11:30. Churchkey at 4, Smoke and Barrel at 5. Don't know about Meridian Pint. Maybe that new City Taphouse? RFD is open for lunch, but they are best avoided.

Yeah, you won't catch me in RFD any day of the week. Pizza P might have to fit the bill for the early afternoon.

At the Goose Island event at church key I snagged a nice t shirt and a pint glass.

« Reply #4013 on: December 18, 2013, 11:50:48 am »
So what do you do when you go to an xmas party hosted by (wife's co-worker) someone who claims to be into beer and all they have on offer is a Magic Hat variety pack, some Sam Adams varieties, and some crappy German lager (Warsteiner). Does one drink the (superior) beer that one brought to the party, or is it rude not to drink the host's beer?

to be devil's advocate for a second: MH & SA are craft bers.  it shows some appreciation of taste - at least he didn't offer you Bud Platinum as his "fancy beer."

i'd be disappointed by that selection too, and i'd question how "into beer" this person is.  however, some perspective is called for.  realize what 90% of the population is drinking.  Ford, you're part of the 1%.  getting stuck in that middle 9%... could be worse.

I go to my in-laws and there like 'we got some good beer for you in the fridge'
And I'm like "thanks"....go in there : Miller Light, Corona Light and some Smirnoff crap
I don't want to be rude as they went out and got me something, but I'd rather drink water if that's my option.  

and MH and SA are gateway beers for people to get into real beers
I have actually quite enjoyed some of the Sam Adams seasonal beers as of late.  MH...a little while back I actually thought they were good too, can't really drink it anymore

It is amazing the beer selection you get at Giant in VA now a days
Bells/Lagunitas /New Belgium /Dogfish Head/Harpoon/
although they are warm, there is also a great selection of bombers too:
Stone/Allagash/la chouffe/FireStone Walker/Duvel/Schlafly

These can be hard to find in an actual beer store

As far as not drinking the beer you brought....I've struggled with that
As I'll show up with $20+ of bombers of great beer and they've got a fridge of Coors light
I'm sorry, I'm going to drink one or two of the beers I brought as I know they are going to hate the beers I brought.
If I know the host is into beer or might be the kind of person who would be excited...I'll be sure to show the host what I brought and tell them why I think this is a special beer and offer to pour them a glass on the spot. (that's why I like getting bombers too...I can pour them one...and there is enough left for me to have some with them)

slack

hutch

« Reply #4014 on: December 18, 2013, 11:59:03 am »

As far as not drinking the beer you brought....I've struggled with that
As I'll show up with $20+ of bombers of great beer and they've got a fridge of Coors light
I'm sorry, I'm going to drink one or two of the beers I brought as I know they are going to hate the beers I brought.

;D

slappy

« Reply #4015 on: December 18, 2013, 01:34:46 pm »
They say they didn't include DIPA/IIPA so #25 is curious.

stevewizzle

« Reply #4016 on: December 18, 2013, 02:02:52 pm »
eh, some people probably included it in their list, and they never "disqualified" the votes.

lot of love for the pig.  i love that beer! also, happy to see la cumbre on the list, it's lesser known and distributed only to new mexico, but it really is stellar. if you trade beer, you should be trading for this asap.

James Ford

« Reply #4017 on: December 18, 2013, 02:56:27 pm »
I actually like Blind Pig more than PTE. But Sculpin is my favorite.

Had my first Surly Furious the other day and was seriously underwhelmed. I'd call it more of an amber ale than an IPA, and say that Troeg's Hopback Amber kicks its ass in that category.

eh, some people probably included it in their list, and they never "disqualified" the votes.

lot of love for the pig.  i love that beer! also, happy to see la cumbre on the list, it's lesser known and distributed only to new mexico, but it really is stellar. if you trade beer, you should be trading for this asap.

Bagley

« Reply #4018 on: December 18, 2013, 03:05:23 pm »
What?   No Maine Beer Co "Lunch"?  Say it ain't so!

Yada

« Reply #4019 on: December 18, 2013, 03:13:31 pm »
that list is bologna.