Author Topic: Stanley Cup Picks  (Read 212236 times)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: Stanley Cup Picks
« Reply #495 on: May 28, 2009, 04:14:38 pm »
It'll be nice to see Chelly and the cup together once again.
Barring injury or an appeal to the NHL, I don't think he'll get his name on it. He won't get into a Finals game unless there's an injury and he didn't play the requisite number of regular season games. It's amazing how much he dropped off in this last year. He was steadily going down the last few but completely hit a cliff this year. :(

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #496 on: May 28, 2009, 04:19:21 pm »
Barring injury or an appeal to the NHL, I don't think he'll get his name on it. He won't get into a Finals game unless there's an injury and he didn't play the requisite number of regular season games. It's amazing how much he dropped off in this last year. He was steadily going down the last few but completely hit a cliff this year. :(

wow! i had no clue he played so few games this year. Such a pity! Well one can always hope!
HeyLa

godsshoeshine

« Reply #497 on: May 28, 2009, 04:23:40 pm »
wheres julian with some hyperbolic certainty
I said after the Anaheim series that it'd be Wings in 11. Guess that means Pittsburgh will last 6 games!

Pittsburgh fans have to be pretty discouraged since there team is basically Chicago with marginally better offense and marginally worse defense and the Hawks got creamed.
wings in 6? i'm a little disappointed with you. maybe nervous about the injuries?
o/\o

« Reply #498 on: May 28, 2009, 04:43:14 pm »
wheres julian with some hyperbolic certainty
I said after the Anaheim series that it'd be Wings in 11. Guess that means Pittsburgh will last 6 games!

Pittsburgh fans have to be pretty discouraged since there team is basically Chicago with marginally better offense and marginally worse defense and the Hawks got creamed.
wings in 6? i'm a little disappointed with you. maybe nervous about the injuries?
Nah, all reports say Lidstrom and Ericsson are in for game 1, and Datsyuk is probable. When I called Wings in 11, I thought it'd be Chicago in 6 and the Eastern Rep in 5. Guess the Penguins get a bonus game!

« Reply #499 on: May 28, 2009, 04:51:31 pm »
I think Ross McKeon sums this up well...
Once we get to the Pittsburgh-Detroit matchup, it?s not even as close as last year?s, which wasn?t as close as a six-game series might suggest.

The Red Wings are just that much better. And nothing illustrates that point more than removing one of the Penguins? top supporting players ? veteran scorer Marian Hossa(notes) ? and adding him to the Detroit roster. How unfair is that?

But it goes much deeper.

On defense, the Wings have finally figured a way to get Jonathan Ericsson(notes) into the top six and limit minutes for Chris Chelios(notes) and Andreas Lilja(notes). Yes, Lilja is injured, but Ericsson is a better option than Lilja or Chelios, even if it has taken longer than it should for this alignment to become a reality.

Detroit?s forwards are better than a year ago, too. No one is surprised anymore when Johan Franzen(notes), Daniel Cleary(notes) or Valtteri Filppula(notes) contributes offensively. Darren Helm(notes) and Ville Leino(notes) add speed and skill that a Draper or Darren McCarty(notes) never had. Sure, we know all about the importance of the Drapers and McCartys, but there?s enough toughness throughout the lineup to make up for a couple of stalwarts.

Chris Osgood(notes) deserves better in terms of what is written and said about him. But even if he?s not regarded as an elite goaltender, he is trusted by his teammates, and that goes a long way this time of the year. He also never seems to face a barrage that could affect a goalie?s psyche. The Red Wings just don?t let that happen.

Then there are the Pens. Crosby and Malkin are eating the Eastern Conference alive again. But neither has faced an opponent that can bring it physically. Guess what? That?s what Detroit can do, even though few talk about the Red Wings in that respect. And when we say bring it physically, it?s not so much as the highlight-reel hits as how hard Detroit makes it to win pucks, keep possession and gain the important areas of ice.

The Penguins don?t have Ryan Whitney(notes), Ryan Malone(notes), Gary Roberts(notes), Jarkko Ruutu(notes), Daryl Sydor, Petr Sykora(notes), Adam Hall(notes) and Hossa. In their place are Bill Guerin(notes), Chris Kunitz(notes), Ruslan Fedotenko(notes), Matt Cooke(notes), Miroslav Satan(notes), Craig Adams(notes), Kris Letang(notes) and Mark Eaton(notes).

It can be argued which supporting cast is better, last year?s or this. It can?t be argued that there?s something to say about stability and familiarity, especially when it?s a proven winner. And while all that works in Detroit?s favor, more of the same isn?t a good thing for the NHL.

I think the other point delusional Eastern Conference advocates don't want to talk about, which is a much bigger issue than Wings v Pens is the fact that the Eastern Conference, as a whole, plays a style of hockey that is simply crushed by the devotion to defense and forechecking that the West, by and large, plays. Detroit isn't just better then Pittsburgh, so is Anaheim and San Jose and maybe even Chicago.

You want to know what Malkin and Crosby put up such great numbers in the playoffs? Part of it is that they're elite players, no doubt. But another large part of it is the up-and-down, "let's beat em 5 goals to 4" style of hockey the east plays. Look no further then the top DEFENSIVE defensemen they faced in each round. The best was probably Mike Green, aka Paul "Fourth Forward" Coffey, Jr. He is not a lock-down defenseman. Philly had Jamie Coburn and Carolina had Joe Corvo. Think about that. In 2 of the 3 rounds they played, the best defensemen on the team were Jamie Coburn and Joe Corvo. Do either of those guys even crack the top 6 for Detroit?  Until the Eastern conference decide to play defense-first "playoff hockey" they're always going to be the more entertaining bracket, but ultimately the losing one 9 years out of 10.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 04:53:54 pm by Julian, Certified WEBLEBRITY »

godsshoeshine

« Reply #500 on: May 28, 2009, 05:08:34 pm »
i agree, the penguins defense is better than their gaa in the playoffs suggest due to the attacking style of hockey played in the east
o/\o

« Reply #501 on: May 28, 2009, 05:22:45 pm »
i agree, the penguins defense is better than their gaa in the playoffs suggest due to the attacking style of hockey played in the east
Yeah, the fence swings both ways. Unfortunately, it's still not nearly as good as Anaheim, Detroit, San Jose, or Chicago's.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #502 on: May 28, 2009, 05:29:06 pm »
to be fair, i dont know that i think the pens are going to win the series, but i do feel better about it as opposed to last year. injuries, wings penalty kill not performing, and malkin playing better being the main factors
o/\o

« Reply #503 on: May 28, 2009, 05:40:59 pm »
and malkin playing better being the main factors
Didn't Malkin play pretty darned well last year until, um, he ran into Detroit? I love how he conveniently got the flu then.

The only injury that worries me for Detroit is Datsyuk. He's the only one they're saying might not be in for game 1 (except Draper who looks like he's out for the season), but he is at least skating.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #504 on: May 28, 2009, 10:11:44 pm »
Barring injury or an appeal to the NHL, I don't think he'll get his name on it. He won't get into a Finals game unless there's an injury and he didn't play the requisite number of regular season games.

You only have to play in one playoff game to get your name on the Cup, doesn't have to be a Finals game.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #505 on: May 28, 2009, 10:12:13 pm »
And it's Cheli, not Chelly.

« Reply #506 on: May 28, 2009, 10:16:43 pm »
You only have to play in one playoff game to get your name on the Cup, doesn't have to be a Finals game.

Question: What is the criteria for a player to get his name on the Stanley Cup?
Answer: The Stanley Cup is the only trophy in pro sport that bears the names of players, coaches, management and staff from the winning teams.

Prior to 1977 only players who had completed the Stanley Cup playoffs were eligible. Today, players appearing in 41 regular-season games or one Stanley Cup Final game for the championship team have their names engraved on the Cup. The NHL makes exceptions for players who do not meet the standard because of injury or other extenuating circumstances.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #507 on: May 28, 2009, 10:19:26 pm »
Link?

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #509 on: May 28, 2009, 10:24:29 pm »
I stand corrected.