Author Topic: Stanley Cup Picks  (Read 212244 times)

godsshoeshine

Re: Stanley Cup Picks
« Reply #645 on: April 12, 2010, 03:59:57 pm »
next year they have to pay backstrom, so keeping it all together could get trickier i believe
o/\o

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #646 on: April 12, 2010, 04:08:01 pm »
If there's any team you look at and go "man, they better win it all this year or their window is shutting for the next few seasons," it's no doubt Chicago, not the Caps.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #647 on: April 12, 2010, 04:13:06 pm »
arent they the east/west version of each other
o/\o

« Reply #648 on: April 12, 2010, 04:21:36 pm »
No, not at all. The Caps only have about 36 million committed for next season, and lose that stinker of a contract on Theodore. Admittedly, they'll need to sign 9-ish players, but they do not appear to be in any real cap trouble. Core locked up (aside from RFA Backstrom), and definitely sufficient cash to flush out the bottom rungs of their lineup.

The Hawks on the other hand, have only 9 forwards, 4 d-men, and a goalie locked up for next season and are already 2 million over the cap (and that's assuming it doesn't go down like most think will). They are literally in salary cap nightmare after this season.

Check it out at capgeek.com:
Caps - http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=30
Hawks - http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=11

godsshoeshine

« Reply #649 on: April 12, 2010, 04:25:57 pm »
thats a well reasoned response. not what i was hoping for

is that the site better than nhlnumbers?
o/\o

« Reply #650 on: April 12, 2010, 04:30:21 pm »
is that the site better than nhlnumbers?
I've never heard of NHLnumbers before now, but from a quick glance, I definitely like CapGeek better.

slappy

« Reply #651 on: April 12, 2010, 05:20:53 pm »
No, not at all. The Caps only have about 36 million committed for next season, and lose that stinker of a contract on Theodore. Admittedly, they'll need to sign 9-ish players, but they do not appear to be in any real cap trouble. Core locked up (aside from RFA Backstrom), and definitely sufficient cash to flush out the bottom rungs of their lineup.

The Hawks on the other hand, have only 9 forwards, 4 d-men, and a goalie locked up for next season and are already 2 million over the cap (and that's assuming it doesn't go down like most think will). They are literally in salary cap nightmare after this season.

Check it out at capgeek.com:
Caps - http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=30
Hawks - http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=11

Right now I'd guess Belanger, maybe Brendan Morrison might be given offers for next year. Corvo and Walker's 5 million will be off the books. Alzner and Carlson will be up on entry level contracts. And Nylander's NMC expires so there is a very, very slight chance he could be moved for the last year of his contract.
Caps aren't bad off at all.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #652 on: April 13, 2010, 09:45:21 am »
i'd imagine backstrom and schultz would get big deals but that's offseason talk, and now its playoff time

i gotta admit, the caps are the favorites in the east. pretty sky high expections for a team with not much post season success
o/\o

« Reply #653 on: April 13, 2010, 10:31:07 am »
From everything I've seen this season, I'd put Chicago and Washington in the finals, but I just simply cannot see Niemi/Huet or Varlamov/Theodore lifting a Stanley Cup. It just doesn't compute.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #654 on: April 13, 2010, 10:46:38 am »
From everything I've seen this season, I'd put Chicago and Washington in the finals, but I just simply cannot see Niemi/Huet or Varlamov/Theodore lifting a Stanley Cup. It just doesn't compute.
pretty good analysis. the caps have pretty much said they're going to come out and rely on one way hockey, but man what an offense. i dont know if anyone has as complete of a unit of skaters as chicago though

o/\o

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #655 on: April 13, 2010, 02:07:13 pm »
Varly was injury plagued all season, opened the season on fire, has been spotty since his injury. Theo's 20-0-3 since January....
‼‼?‼‼

godsshoeshine

« Reply #656 on: April 13, 2010, 02:20:52 pm »
big difference between regular season in the nascar division and the playoffs. just ask...jose theodore
o/\o

« Reply #657 on: April 13, 2010, 03:09:20 pm »
Theo's 20-0-3 since January....
He's also one of the most notorious hot-and-cold goalies of our generation. IDK, like I said, I'd pick a Chicago/Washington finals but this little nagging voice in the back of my head keeps whispering, "not with this goalies..."

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #658 on: April 13, 2010, 03:10:44 pm »
big difference between regular season in the nascar division and the playoffs. just ask...jose theodore
I understand that and Im not saying hes the best goalie in the league, but he is on a hot streak and where else are we going to turn? Varly is about.... 2-3-3 in his last starts? So the number 1 team in the league just gets pushed back to square one because its playoffs? I understand it's a whole new game now but regardless Theo is going into the post-season on a pretty darn good note. Boudreau just anounced him as the starter and he's not putting him "on a short leash". We'll see how soon he can ge comfortable and establish how he'll play in this series if not the entire post-season.
‼‼?‼‼

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #659 on: April 13, 2010, 03:15:46 pm »
Theo's 20-0-3 since January....
He's also one of the most notorious hot-and-cold goalies of our generation. IDK, like I said, I'd pick a Chicago/Washington finals but this little nagging voice in the back of my head keeps whispering, "not with this goalies..."
I'd like to think he won't go from a volcano to Anarctica. Maybe from a volcano to.... the Equator. He has had a spotty past, but it's a whole new season right? I don't have my hopes high, being a fan of DC teams as I am. I don't know how I would react if the Caps did pull it off, I might cry.
‼‼?‼‼