Author Topic: Stanley Cup Picks  (Read 212228 times)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: Stanley Cup Picks
« Reply #660 on: April 13, 2010, 03:16:49 pm »
OK, I figure someone needs to do one of these to get our playoff speculation kicked off, so I'll be the first to sign his name and prepare to be potentially mocked all playoffs long...

WEST
San Jose over Colorado in 5
Chicago over Nashville in 6
Los Angeles over Vancouver in 7 <----- this pick makes no sense, i know
Detroit over Phoenix in 6

San Jose over LA in 6
Chicago over Detroit in 7

Chicago over San Jose in 5

EAST
Washington over Montreal in 4
Jersey over Philly in 6
Boston over Buffalo in 6
Pittsburgh over Ottawa in 4

Washington over Boston in 5
Jersey over Pittsburgh in 7 <---- this would be an epic series

Washington over Jersey in 5

The East intrigues me more then it usually does, especially when one considers all the first round underdogs have winning records against their opponent. Again, it's the playoffs, not the regular season, but I feel really unsure picking anything in the east.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #661 on: April 13, 2010, 03:21:26 pm »
yes #1 team gets pushed back precisely because it is playoffs and because the Caps have shown time and time again what happens during playoffs.... Im sure the Sharks fans always say the same thing with Nabby in goal. And yes ---- it is playoffs and Josies record speaks for itself -

2005?06 Colorado Avalanche NHL 9 4 5 0 573 29 0 3.03 .902
2007?08 Colorado Avalanche NHL 8 4 4 0 435 20 0 2.75 .915
2008?09 Washington Capitals NHL 2 0 1 0 6 0 0 3.71 .818

I would surely not discount the Devils. They might not have had the best season, but Brodeur knows how to come through at clutch times.

big difference between regular season in the nascar division and the playoffs. just ask...jose theodore
I understand that and Im not saying hes the best goalie in the league, but he is on a hot streak and where else are we going to turn? Varly is about.... 2-3-3 in his last starts? So the number 1 team in the league just gets pushed back to square one because its playoffs? I understand it's a whole new game now but regardless Theo is going into the post-season on a pretty darn good note. Boudreau just anounced him as the starter and he's not putting him "on a short leash". We'll see how soon he can ge comfortable and establish how he'll play in this series if not the entire post-season.
HeyLa

« Reply #662 on: April 13, 2010, 03:26:30 pm »
Tomas Plekanec talking smack in Montreal newspaper La Presse: "It's not as though we are facing (Martin) Brodeur or (Ryan) Miller ... They don't have a dominant goaltender.  When you look at the goaltending matchup in this series it favours our team.  I just believe that our goaltending is more solid than theirs. ... I'm not saying their goalies are bad. I'm just saying our goalies are better."

Aaaaaaaand Theodore's response: "Tomas who? Jagr? Ohhhhhhh, Plekanec. OK. I thought you meant Jagr."

Well done, boys, LOLs all around. Every playoff series needs some off-the-wall smack and you two cats are providing it. A+  (I'm a little confused why Jose Theodore thinks Jagr's first name is Tomas but anyway...)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 03:29:43 pm by Julian, Certified WEBLEBRITY »

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #663 on: April 13, 2010, 03:31:35 pm »
Oohhhh nice picks. Id nearly copy yours on the West but Im taking LA over San Jose. Granted I detest SJ more than most teams, but Nabokov -- hahah glad hes not on the Kings.

San Jose in 6
Chicago in 5
LA in 6
Detroit in 5

LA in 6
Chicago in 5

Chicago sweeps LA - the part where I start bawling that the Kings arent going to the cup.

For the East:
Caps in 6
Jersey in 5
Boston in 7
Pitt in 5

Boston in 7
Jersey in 6

Boston over Jersey in 7 (showing how awesome tim thomas really is)

Hawks win the cup in 6.

OK, I figure someone needs to do one of these to get our playoff speculation kicked off, so I'll be the first to sign his name and prepare to be potentially mocked all playoffs long...

WEST
San Jose over Colorado in 5
Chicago over Nashville in 6
Los Angeles over Vancouver in 7 <----- this pick makes no sense, i know
Detroit over Phoenix in 6

San Jose over LA in 6
Chicago over Detroit in 7

Chicago over San Jose in 5

EAST
Washington over Montreal in 4
Jersey over Philly in 6
Boston over Buffalo in 6
Pittsburgh over Ottawa in 4

Washington over Boston in 5
Jersey over Pittsburgh in 7 <---- this would be an epic series

Washington over Jersey in 5

The East intrigues me more then it usually does, especially when one considers all the first round underdogs have winning records against their opponent. Again, it's the playoffs, not the regular season, but I feel really unsure picking anything in the east.
HeyLa

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #664 on: April 13, 2010, 03:35:11 pm »
Killin' my buzz. I'm worried, our record against teams from up North isn't the best this year. I'll be happy if we make it to the Eastern Conference, I said that at the end of last year and I'm sticking to it! I think the team has yet to peak and am looking forward to the post season. Not so much the stress.... or maybe it is the stress...

EDIT: My upset pick is Coyotes over the Wings. Don't ask why.
‼‼?‼‼

godsshoeshine

« Reply #665 on: April 13, 2010, 03:36:12 pm »
what the hell

caps sweep
pens in 5
philly in 7 (i dont have faith in playoff marty)
sabres in 6

caps in 5
pens in 5

pens in 7

colorado in 7
hawks in 5
vancouver in 6
detroit in 5

hawks in 5
vancouver in 6

vancouver in 7

repeat in 6

yes i said i agreed with julian like 5 posts ago
o/\o

« Reply #666 on: April 13, 2010, 03:38:02 pm »
I'll be happy if we make it to the Eastern Conference
I can assure you as a completely impartial observer that the Caps will definitely make it into the Eastern Conference this season.

Is it an upset if the lower-seeded team wins? I would've preferred San Jose or Vancouver as a Wings fan over Phoenix, tbh.

« Reply #667 on: April 13, 2010, 03:40:57 pm »
colorado in 7
I would pretty much lose it if this happened. So, so awesome watching San Jose every April. It's like a little kid watching Titanic every week. You sit there and you see the giant boat on the screen, and in your irrational, youthful mind you go, "Oh, there's no way that sinks again. They'll make it this time," and then the iceberg cometh. Again.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #668 on: April 13, 2010, 03:41:51 pm »
INteresting picks - but seeing that the Flyers barely got by the Rangers, Im not sure how they plan on getting past the Devils. The Rangers were sloppy at best, playing much like they did regular season. Very few shots on goal and making it all about Henrik. Im thinkign Marty will show up when he needs to.

what the hell

caps sweep
pens in 5
philly in 7 (i dont have faith in playoff marty)
sabres in 6

caps in 5
pens in 5

pens in 7

colorado in 7
hawks in 5
vancouver in 6
detroit in 5

hawks in 5
vancouver in 6

vancouver in 7

repeat in 6

yes i said i agreed with julian like 5 posts ago
HeyLa

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #669 on: April 13, 2010, 03:42:23 pm »
I'll be happy if we make it to the Eastern Conference
I can assure you as a completely impartial observer that the Caps will definitely make it into the Eastern Conference this season.

Is it an upset if the lower-seeded team wins? I would've preferred San Jose or Vancouver as a Wings fan over Phoenix, tbh.
Considering all the dust the Wings have been kicking up at the end of the season, "the hottest team" headed into the playoffs ESPECIALLY the Wings. For me, it would be an upset. I'd like to see the Coyotes stomp the Wings.
‼‼?‼‼

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #670 on: April 13, 2010, 03:43:16 pm »
One thing I know I don't want is a Caps/Hawks finals.  My gf is from chicago, it wouldn't be pretty, or fun.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #671 on: April 13, 2010, 03:44:51 pm »
I have to say --- I was so hoping the Kings were playing the Sharks first round. The Sharks implode every year, and it was pretty much the only guarantee that the Kings get by. Awesome, funny description about the Sharks.

colorado in 7
I would pretty much lose it if this happened. So, so awesome watching San Jose every April. It's like a little kid watching Titanic every week. You sit there and you see the giant boat on the screen, and in your irrational, youthful mind you go, "Oh, there's no way that sinks again. They'll make it this time," and then the iceberg cometh. Again.
HeyLa

godsshoeshine

« Reply #672 on: April 13, 2010, 03:48:20 pm »
INteresting picks - but seeing that the Flyers barely got by the Rangers, Im not sure how they plan on getting past the Devils. The Rangers were sloppy at best, playing much like they did regular season. Very few shots on goal and making it all about Henrik. Im thinkign Marty will show up when he needs to.
in recent years, he hasnt. all respect to the man, he's one of the greatest ever, but he tends to wear down at the end. its a total upset, sure. but the flyers can score and play ugly. tough formula for the devils. plus if they have 45 shots per game (or whatever they ended up with in that last game) they'll win in 5 or 6

i refuse to pick the sharks after smackie yelled at me last year
o/\o

godsshoeshine

« Reply #673 on: April 13, 2010, 03:50:03 pm »
Boudreau just anounced him as the starter and he's not putting him "on a short leash". We'll see how soon he can ge comfortable and establish how he'll play in this series if not the entire post-season.
you know, the other thing that bugs me about picking the caps for the cup is boudreau. guy cannot keep his cool
o/\o

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #674 on: April 13, 2010, 03:55:35 pm »
here are my picks, because i'm like some kind of expert or something:
caps in 5
devils in 6
sabres in 5
pens in 4
sharks in 4
hawks in 5
canucks in 6
detroit in 7

Brodeur knows how to come through at clutch times.

did you watch the olympics?
<sig>