Author Topic: Stanley Cup Picks  (Read 212225 times)

godsshoeshine

Re: Stanley Cup Picks
« Reply #780 on: May 13, 2010, 11:54:48 am »
ok sweatcell
o/\o

James Ford

« Reply #781 on: May 13, 2010, 12:27:45 pm »

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore;_ylt=AvKtTww.uJVBYIWmjDa8AnN7vLYF?gid=2010051216

What's your next conspiracy theory, Jaguar?

What's the O/U on penalties called on the Habs in Game 7? I'd set it at 8.5.
Yeah, crazy me, setting the O/U at 8.5 when the actual number turned out to be a paltry 8. What was I thinking?

godsshoeshine

« Reply #782 on: May 13, 2010, 01:08:51 pm »
clearly the best way to fix a game for a team is to call two penalties on them in the first 40 seconds of a game
o/\o

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #783 on: May 13, 2010, 01:18:48 pm »
steelers season just started.
I wondered how long it would take for a Pittsburg fan to reference the Steelers in the aftermath of that loss. 12 hours apparently.
i almost was going to call this a fair shot, even after you spelled pittsburgh incorrectly

then i realized you havent posted about the wings exit yet
I have a long-standing tradition of spelling Pittsburg incorrectly because the few days I spent in the city made me want to get the H out of there as quickly as possible.

And the wings went out in the second round as I predicted before the playoffs started. Ultimately, Howard lost 3 games for us in which we scored 3 goals. Rookie goaltending = fail. Can't say I liked the ridiculous disproportion of penalty calls in the Sharks favor, but ultimately, I'm not too unhappy for a "rebuilding" year and breaking in a kid who looks like he can backstop us the next 10 years.

« Reply #784 on: May 13, 2010, 01:19:25 pm »
My apologies. My drunken bar count was 8 last night.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #785 on: May 13, 2010, 01:20:43 pm »
i had a feeling you spelled it incorrectly on purpose
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #786 on: May 13, 2010, 01:28:53 pm »
I have a long-standing tradition of spelling Pittsburg incorrectly because the few days I spent in the city made me want to get the H out of there as quickly as possible.

You live in Ricmond, right?
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #787 on: May 13, 2010, 01:34:25 pm »
and hes from micigan
o/\o

« Reply #788 on: May 13, 2010, 02:00:39 pm »

You live in Ricmond, right?
Pittsburg and Morgantown, WV far and away are the two worst decent-sized cities in America. Detroit and Richmond, despite their faults, couldn't come anywhere near the overwhelming shitty-ness of those two.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #789 on: May 13, 2010, 02:09:14 pm »
i've never been to detroit, but ricmond is easily the 2nd worst city i've ever been to. nothing compares to pilladelpia

i wouldnt even count morgantown as a city
o/\o

« Reply #790 on: May 13, 2010, 02:14:40 pm »
i've never been to detroit, but ricmond is easily the 2nd worst city i've ever been to. nothing compares to pilladelpia

i wouldnt even count morgantown as a city
Philly at least has some nice areas. Regardless, this tangent really has nothing to do with hockey, so let's get back to that and if anyone wants they can start a "terrible places in north america" thread.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #791 on: May 13, 2010, 02:17:04 pm »
pittsburgh has plenty of nice areas and is the forbes magazine most livable city in america
http://www.forbes.com/2010/04/29/cities-livable-pittsburgh-lifestyle-real-estate-top-ten-jobs-crime-income.html
pilly has people that try to fight you for no reason

but agreed, lets move on
o/\o

« Reply #792 on: May 13, 2010, 03:44:12 pm »
Back to hockey, GSS: any talk on whether the Pens are going to resign Gonchar or is he on his way out of town? Are the Pens thought to be going after Volchenkov if Gonchar is gone? Any thoughts on Gonchar's play this season?

godsshoeshine

« Reply #793 on: May 13, 2010, 04:04:03 pm »
number one question around the pens

someone is going to offer him around what he's making this year. he's 36, gets hurt all the time and made $5.5m this year. having said all that, i love the guy. he had a shocker in game 7 for sure, but the power play always suffers when he's not there, and he does so many little things well. my feeling is if he wants to make $2m next year, he's back. if he wants to make $5m someone in the nhl will pay him. the word i hear is he doesnt want to go back to russia, so that could be a good sign

if he goes, they have to sign someone to replace him, volchenkov being the obvious fit. i'm a big believer in letang, but he's just not ready yet. gogo was up and down all year. they lose guerin, ponikarovski, fedotanko and cooke too. of those four i really only want cooke back but the other three have spent time on the top 2 lines and need upgrading. so there's really a lot to accomplish in the offseason

of course if you go on letsgopens.com or what have you its all "trade everyone"
o/\o

« Reply #794 on: May 13, 2010, 04:12:50 pm »
of course if you go on letsgopens.com or what have you its all "trade everyone"
Yeah, Malkin, for example, is clearly in decline. We'll give you Filppula and Helm for him and your third round pick in 2012.

Gonchar has never been a dead-solid lock-down defender, imo, as much as he's been an elite PP QB. He's getting too much grief for that fourth goal, but again, that's always been Gonchar: bigger difference maker on the offensive end. I don't think you're getting him at 2million, but 3.5-4 million per for 2 seems reasonable. Heck, if he can be got at that price, I wouldn't mind the Wings taking a run at him instead of Volchenkov. It's just such a terrible year to want to go out and get a D-man, ya know? Once you get past Lidstrom (retire or Detroit), Niedermayer (retire or Anaheim), Vochenkov and Gonchar, who is left that you really want to throw cash at? Dan Hamhuis? Zbynek Michalek? Adrian Aucoin? A 40 year old Rob Blake?

The Wings also sound to be in the Volchenkov sweeps (although the persistent rumour of Kenny Holland going after Jack Johnson via trade continues to rear its head), but I don't think they're going to throw some ridiculous $6 mil per contract out there after him. Ultimately, they can go with Lidstrom/Rafalski/Kronwall/Ericcson/Stuart/Lilja (at the same cash as this season) and Meech or Janik again and take their cap space to go chase Frolov or Plekanec (or heck, even Kovalchuk if he's willing to go for 6-7 million over 4-5 years to play for a contender).
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 04:17:47 pm by Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface »