Author Topic: Maybe we should just elect Trump president  (Read 927498 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Maybe we should just elect Trump president
« Reply #1995 on: October 06, 2016, 10:43:36 am »
Can we pivot the conversation a bit? Let's play hypothetical Clinton victory. What happens to Kaine's senate seat? I mean, yes, I know the governor fills it and there'll be a special election in 2017 followed by a regular election in 2018, but who gets it?

It's very weird with the timing. You need someone who can fundraise well and repeatedly since they basically have to run two Senate campaigns back to back, hypothetically. Let's play out a few scenarios:

(1) McAuliffe appoints himself. If McAuliffe wants Northam to be the next governor of Virginia, he gives him the ability to run as a de facto incumbent, something very rare in VA politics. McAuliffe passes the fundraisability test. McAuliffe, though, is not supremely likable. He puts the Dems losing the seat in play and if the Senate is 50-50 with Kaine casting tiebreaking votes, we run a serious risk of Hillary having a friendly Senate for exactly one year.

(2) McAuliffe goes with Northam. This is a Machiavellian powerplay if he wants to clear the path for Herring to be the next Governor (or at least the next democratic nom). If the Senate majority is more than one vote, he can risk Northam losing in 2017 with the chance to take the seat back in 2018, either by himself or another candidate from the below options.

(3) McAuliffe goes with the seniority choice and picks Bobby Scott, making him VAs first black senator since Reconstruction. (This assumes Scott wants the post.) He's a perfect middle of the road candidate. On the three big factors (does this look like cronyism, can he fundraise, do people like him) he's a solid 7 across the board. Outstanding in none, but no gaping issues. This seems the safest pick.

(4) Connolly or Beyer, the states other two Democratic Congressmen. Connolly looks like the better fundraiser but Beyer has more experience on a big stage. These are meh picks, although both come from fairly gerrymandered Congressional seats that the Dems won't lose in 2018. I would question either of these ability to win re-election, especially if Cuccinelli decides he wants a Senate seat instead of running for Governor again.

(5) Levar Stoney. Reeks of cronyism, but he's also young and personable and if he can get in the Senate, he can lock it down for multiple terms. Gets the Clinton/McAuliffe money-cannon fired at him. Will have to overcome the perception that a guy who is about to lose a Mayoral election in Richmond gets handed a Senate seat. (DO NOT GET ME STARTED ON THE RICHMOND MAYORAL RACE. I WILL TALK YOUR EAR OFF AND 90% OF IT WILL BE ME BRAGGING ENDLESSLY THAT EVERYONE MOCKED WHO I SAID WOULD WIN A YEAR AGO AND NOW THEY'RE CRUSHING. SERIOUSLY THE DUDE WE ARE ELECTING IS GOING TO GET MOCKED ON EVERY NATIONAL TELECAST, ITS AMAZING.)
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #1996 on: October 06, 2016, 09:46:02 pm »
I had been meaning to bring up Morrissey, lol.

« Reply #1997 on: October 06, 2016, 09:48:27 pm »
I had been meaning to bring up Morrissey, lol.
DON'T GET ME STARTED. HE CONFIRMED TO ME HE WAS RUNNING AT A GIN RELEASE PARTY 9 MONTHS BEFORE HE ANNOUNCED. IM NOT EVEN JOKING AROUND TO MAKE A JULIANS AMERICA STORY, IT REALLY HAPPENED AND I HAVE PHOTOS AND ONE OF THE BOARDIES ON MY SOCIAL MEDIA CAN CONFIRM.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #1998 on: October 06, 2016, 09:49:02 pm »
sorry I can't do "hypothetical Clinton victory"... it is still a ways away.... anything can happen...

hutch

« Reply #1999 on: October 07, 2016, 08:43:02 am »

hutch

« Reply #2000 on: October 07, 2016, 10:33:05 pm »
oops

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #2001 on: October 07, 2016, 10:46:42 pm »
😐 🎶

« Reply #2002 on: October 08, 2016, 09:20:21 am »
This isn't the Walkie thread.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #2003 on: October 08, 2016, 12:52:30 pm »
OK I guess I'm ready to speculate because I have to believe its curtains for Trump...

with the very limited knowledge I have:

I cannot stand Mcaullife...hate hate hate him.. loathe him. of course not as much as I loathe Republicans but he is amongst the worst the Democratic Party has to offer..

I like Beyer a lot but he's a bit long in the tooth.....what a shame... he really should have been Governor or Senator much earlier... but he lost the Governorship I think...and then he became US Ambassador to Switzerland (nice gig if you can get it).... He is definitely a luxury as my Representative though.....

I'm just not sure Beyer has the energy, fight or toughness to run....

And I dont' think Mcaullife would pick Beyer anyways...

In my view Gillespie has the advantage.... against anyone...cause it will be a midterm election , right?

shemptiness

« Reply #2004 on: October 08, 2016, 04:45:08 pm »
It's so amusing that people are more offended by the use of vulgar words by the media than the fact that the Republican presidential nominee actually said those words.

'My daughter is watching this'

Space Freely

« Reply #2005 on: October 08, 2016, 06:49:10 pm »
OK I guess I'm ready to speculate because I have to believe its curtains for Trump...

with the very limited knowledge I have:

I cannot stand Mcaullife...hate hate hate him.. loathe him. of course not as much as I loathe Republicans but he is amongst the worst the Democratic Party has to offer..

I like Beyer a lot but he's a bit long in the tooth.....what a shame... he really should have been Governor or Senator much earlier... but he lost the Governorship I think...and then he became US Ambassador to Switzerland (nice gig if you can get it).... He is definitely a luxury as my Representative though.....

I'm just not sure Beyer has the energy, fight or toughness to run....

And I dont' think Mcaullife would pick Beyer anyways...

In my view Gillespie has the advantage.... against anyone...cause it will be a midterm election , right?

I just read that Mcauliffe pledged to visit all 160 (and growing) craft breweries in VA during his four years in office. While this doesn't necessarily make me admire him, it does make me want his job.

Space Freely

« Reply #2006 on: October 09, 2016, 10:38:00 pm »
Well that was ugly. I felt like I was watching 9:30 Forum Raw.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 10:50:21 pm by Space Freely »

hutch

« Reply #2007 on: October 10, 2016, 07:47:58 am »
I found that debate very disturbing.. I watched about 45-50 minutes and then I couldn't take any more..

I wish Hillary has just attacked back from the get go.. instead she tried the same approach as the first debate.. but since Trump's approach was different and the context within which the debate took place was different I think that was ill advised...

K8teebug

« Reply #2008 on: October 10, 2016, 09:27:34 am »
To see him brush off his sexual assault language as locker room talk was just infuriating.

« Reply #2009 on: October 10, 2016, 12:57:36 pm »
Well that was ugly. I felt like I was watching 9:30 Forum Raw.
+1
slack