Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1903385 times)

Frank Gallagher

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #540 on: March 24, 2008, 06:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  Just in time for my new car...

Sirius Purchase of Rival XM Approved by Justice Dept.

Honestly, I thought this would take a lot longer...now what will the FCC do???
Well that answers that then. I won't be getting sattelite radio at all now..up go the fees and down go the commercial free channels.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #541 on: March 24, 2008, 06:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  wait, youve been like everywhere in the world
I, too, see the irony.  

I've even been to Liverpool but wasn't able to make it over to Manchester. [/b]
Wait - you went to Liverpool before you went to Manchester!!!   :eek:  What the fuck!!!  :eek:  and you call yourself a United fan....  :eek:

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #542 on: March 24, 2008, 07:22:00 pm »
Australian Company Calls WiMax a Disaster

Disaster. Miserable failure. Mired in opportunistic hype. Those were just a few of the descriptors Garth Freeman, the CEO of Australian company Buzz Broadband, recently used to characterize the next-generation wireless technology, WiMax.

Based on a report from Commsday, an Australian telecom publication, things have not gone smoothly for the (former) WiMax operator since it first embraced the technology a little more than a year ago. Freeman made this fact abundantly clear to the international audience that assembled at a recent WiMAX conference in Bangkok.

continued...
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #543 on: March 25, 2008, 11:52:00 am »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  Australian Company Calls WiMax a Disaster
Those sound like many of the same criticisms AT&T made about 3G when it first came out (save for "who's going to use their phone to surf the internet?").  I have hope and faith that they'll work it out.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #544 on: March 25, 2008, 11:56:00 am »
Caught this at the newsstand yesterday.  Quite a fair read worthy of some debate:

How Apple Got Everything Right By Doing Everything Wrong
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #546 on: March 25, 2008, 06:51:00 pm »
  Indian Blackberry network given 15 days to allow government snooping or shut down
Sure would like to see RIM draw a line in the sand on this one, but can they really afford to miss out on such an emerging market?
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #547 on: March 26, 2008, 12:23:00 pm »
Somebody pinch me.  The Cable companies are doing something smart for once!

Comcast and Time Warner to bankroll WiMax joint venture

How do the cable companies compete with 1 Gig Fiber to the home?  This is exactly how.  Smart move.  Can it deliver TV?  I'm not so sure, but it can certainly provide superfast internet to the home and guess where else?  Anywhere else in the city (or coverage area) I use my laptop/iPhone/super slick internet only computer for smackie that no one has built yet.  Fiber can't do that.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #548 on: March 26, 2008, 03:30:00 pm »
Spot On.  Other than iTunes (and I have plans to move that to a server based solution) my desktop is not used for anything that isn't browser based.

Microsoft, Apple, and the death of the desktop
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #550 on: March 31, 2008, 08:19:00 pm »
Will this be a dark day for Smackie?

So does post Live Nation cease to exist?

U2 signs deal with Live Nation

Although the band will still distribute its physical recordings through Universal Music Group, the band is letting the rapidly-diversifying concert promoter Live Nation handle its digital distribution, merchandise, and "branding rights" for the next 12 years.

U2's move represents both a break from and embrace of the 360-degree deal concept. At a time when the labels and Live Nation are trying to sign artists to 360-degree deals that give companies a piece of just about every revenue stream leading to an artist, U2 has decided that it makes sense to let someone handle the distribution of T-shirts, lunchboxes, legos and digital files -- so long as that is not the same company that sells the band's CDs.

Bono told BBC News that U2 has been in business with Live Nation for decades, an arrangement formalized by the deal. "We've been dating for over 20 years now. It's about time we tied the knot."

No early april fools joke

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7322106.stm
 http://www.nme.com/news/u2/35540

so will live nation make an effort to protect those digital distribution rights?  i.e. look deeper into torrent sites..
T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #551 on: April 01, 2008, 05:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo:
  Will this be a dark day for Smackie?

I'll be stealing the next album.  Not sure I can skip a tour though, but we'll see.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #552 on: April 01, 2008, 05:39:00 pm »
Smackie also wanted to let Shoeshine and Mankie know that he's not clicking on the Footie thread because he's about 30 minutes behind on the United match...will join the conversation shortly.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #553 on: April 01, 2008, 07:07:00 pm »
you mean ManU's 2-0 victory over Roma?
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #554 on: April 01, 2008, 07:12:00 pm »
  you mean ManU's 2-0 victory over Roma?
I've killed men for less.  Just thought you should know that.

Remember flawd and his ruining of Harry Potter 6?  Ever wonder why we haven't heard from him since before the release of Harry Potter 7?
27>34