Author Topic: YEAH!  (Read 5113 times)

mankie

YEAH!
« on: November 24, 2003, 01:44:00 pm »
The sniper got the death sentence...now if we could only have the method of execution be by sniper sometime that he doesn't know, so that he can live like we had to last year, instead of the cowardly injection method.

Joymonster

• MySpace
Re: YEAH!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2003, 01:46:00 pm »
HELL YEAH!

Best news I've heard all day!  :D

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003, 01:51:00 pm »
If there was ever a case when this was an appropriate punishment, then this is it.  

Personally I'm opposed to captial punishment in all cases but that's just me.

mankie

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2003, 02:00:00 pm »
I admit to being somewhat on the fence on the issue, but not for pond scum,,,,Bundy, Dammer, Casey and this twat etc...I hope they kill his little toy boy as well.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2003, 02:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:
  The sniper got the death sentence...now if we could only have the method of execution be by sniper sometime that he doesn't know, so that he can live like we had to last year, instead of the cowardly injection method.
well, utah still has the firing squad as an option.
OU812

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2003, 02:38:00 pm »
I wonder what Steve Earle and Billy Bragg will have to say about this tonight.

chaz

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2003, 02:40:00 pm »
One wierd thing about cases where the death sentance may come into play is that if a potential juror is opposed to the death penalty they are dismissed from the jury pool.  Is it just me or does this not make sense?  A jury is supposed to be composed of our peers...a cross section of society if you will.  If that cross-section of society includes people against capital punishment, so be it, correct?

Sir HC

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2003, 02:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by chaz:
  One wierd thing about cases where the death sentance may come into play is that if a potential juror is opposed to the death penalty they are dismissed from the jury pool.  Is it just me or does this not make sense?  A jury is supposed to be composed of our peers...a cross section of society if you will.  If that cross-section of society includes people against capital punishment, so be it, correct?
Another way to get out of a trial too.

I am on the fence about this also.  I am against killing, and I don't see how this can serve as an example to others (such people are really over the edge in the first place and don't think they will ever be caught), and really is just making it again unclear that it is wrong to kill.

That and admit it, put him in the general population and he will be buggered to death in a month...

mankie

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2003, 02:54:00 pm »
chaz...you make a good point, but if it was that simple all the defence would have to do is get one juror against the death penalty and "baddaboom" they win.  I believe defence/prosecution can veto either sides juror selection. I think the defences strategy is to get jurors who would vote for death, but very reluctantly, so that the procecution will allow them to sit. I think that's what happened in this case because one juror was struggling with their decision.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not professing to be an expert, that's just my understanding of how it works.

chaz

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2003, 03:46:00 pm »
You're definately right Mankie.  I guess my point is just that the system works better for people who are pro electric chair zealots than it does for people who are opposed.  But of course that is because capital punishment is legal in VA.

mankie

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2003, 03:56:00 pm »
  You're definately right Mankie.  I guess my point is just that the system works better for people who are pro electric chair zealots than it does for people who are opposed.  But of course that is because capital punishment is legal in VA.
I feel strongly that death is the right punishment for these two maggots, but felt very uncomfortable after their arrest when the different states were fighting over who would try them first by arguing they'd get death in their state, no worries. "Let us have em..we'll fry em no problem" It all sounded very sick and twisted.

chaz

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2003, 04:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:

I feel strongly that death is the right punishment for these two maggots, but felt very uncomfortable after their arrest when the different states were fighting over who would try them first by arguing they'd get death in their state, no worries. "Let us have em..we'll fry em no problem" It all sounded very sick and twisted. [/b]
How telling that Va. got to prosecute first.  People around here really want to see these guys dead.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2003, 04:05:00 pm »
well, the 3 states that they were/are gonna be prosecuted in all allow the death penalty. . .
OU812

Sir HC

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2003, 04:07:00 pm »
The worst part is during the whole sniper thing we were talking about it at work, and I mentioned that you had a greater chance of dying in a car wreck.  Well that weekend a co-worker did die in a crash.  The sniper stuff completely quashed out such things (in this case 3 20ish boys died in the crash).  Didn't make much of a dent in the news.  That story and the bull about the white truck kept many other important things out of the news.  There seems to  be this inability for the tv and papers to fixate on more than one or two stories.

I am against the death penalty because:

(1) it is not cost effective
 (2) it doesn't seem to deter anyone (we still have the highest murder rates of first world countries)
 (3) there is always chance of error (probably not this time, but I can not say that everything wasn't planted on them)
 (4) we have all these christians saying that it is okay to kill in this instance but not for 3 day old zygotes
 (5) could you imagine now having someone's death on your conscience?  

and more reasons

mankie

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2003, 04:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
  well, the 3 states that they were/are gonna be prosecuted in all allow the death penalty. . .
There's a difference between "allow" and "do". I can't imagine a Maryland jury coming back with that decision. Alabama would probably have been the second choice.