Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2120267 times)

hutch

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #5250 on: April 06, 2016, 01:04:43 pm »
+1 on Depeche Mode up to and including Violator.... huge band for me.. could have made my top 5 but New Order and the Cure took up those slots... basically for a good while anything synthy and gay I was into...musicwise that is...

if I had a time machine I would love to be at the 101 shows in LA... the last few albums do nothing for me.. but for a good while everything they touched turned to gold...

killsaly

« Reply #5251 on: April 06, 2016, 01:42:17 pm »
I just started Heaven Up Here (Remastered & Expanded version)
I just started going through Echo & the Bunnymen discography - another 80s band that I had not checked out before but knew their name.  On now: Crocodiles

killsaly

« Reply #5252 on: April 06, 2016, 11:04:36 pm »
I am listening to the debut album, Elektron, from Italian technical death metal band Duality (with touches of prog and jazz).

http://prcmusic.bandcamp.com/album/duality-elektron-cd

Yada

« Reply #5253 on: April 07, 2016, 10:33:41 am »
In a board death match, who would win? Sturgill vs. Frank T?

http://www.npr.org/2016/04/07/473237504/first-listen-sturgill-simpson-a-sailors-guide-to-earth

First track is pretty slick with the Dap Kings... 

killsaly

« Reply #5254 on: April 07, 2016, 01:59:04 pm »
Vindland - Hanter Savet

Black Viking Metal from France

https://vindland1.bandcamp.com/releases

dyecraig

« Reply #5255 on: April 07, 2016, 07:47:31 pm »
fleetwood mac - tusk
1st time for me.
i remember all the fuss when this came out for not being "rumours ".
it's much better.

killsaly

« Reply #5256 on: April 07, 2016, 08:04:43 pm »

killsaly

« Reply #5257 on: April 07, 2016, 09:23:44 pm »
Tokyo Police Club - Melon Collie And The Infinite Radness (Part One)

killsaly

« Reply #5258 on: April 07, 2016, 10:47:07 pm »
Filter - Crazy Eyes

Yeah, they are still a thing.

walk,on,by

« Reply #5259 on: April 08, 2016, 11:02:02 am »
right now, I am listening to some band called m83.  some new album called junk with a cute cover.  we, will see.  first song on shuffle, solitude, is not bad. 

killsaly

« Reply #5260 on: April 08, 2016, 11:08:11 am »
Fujiya & Miyagi - Ventriloquizzing

I am not sure how I skipped this one... I have all of the rest of their catalog.

bob72

« Reply #5261 on: April 08, 2016, 02:13:40 pm »

flashback to the Chicago Wax Trax days:

PENIS

hutch

« Reply #5262 on: April 08, 2016, 02:31:57 pm »
ZZ Top Tres Hombres cranked at 11... fabulous...cool gatefold

saintangelsin

« Reply #5263 on: April 09, 2016, 05:03:21 am »
I still love the new Grimes album. It's so all-over-the-place and as saint said, there's some great bangers on it. I played it for my Thai lady last night and she was over the moon on it.

I think that was a reaction to the slimy, possibly still-alive animals in her stomach.

Gold star for Jaded! But seriously, I'm glad Relaxer agrees with me. Dude, I still love the album too. Totally agree how it's all over the place, yet there's this great cohesion on it. More pop music should sound this cool.

I just started Heaven Up Here (Remastered & Expanded version)
I just started going through Echo & the Bunnymen discography - another 80s band that I had not checked out before but knew their name.  On now: Crocodiles

Oh man!!! I grew up on Echo and the Bunnymen! My dad was obsessed with their psychedelic tendencies, but I went nuts for their post-punk early days as a teenager. I have this memory of being 17, lying in bed late at night and listening to Heaven Up Here and Porcupine!!! And this was back in 2002. Ocean Rain is a fucking masterpiece. Enjoy discovering those amazing albums.

yes, dp, like pf, was one of those bands to me, at a certain period in my life, which controlled me and forced me to only listen to it for a while.  I think it has to do with the fact that humans can plug their emotional needs into the outlets of music.  of course, violator was the key.

I can absolutely relate. Violator is one brilliant album. I don't feel like there's a single wasted track. And the programming and arrangements Alan Wilder did was what made it so different. Plus, you got Flood's incredible production work.

+1 on Depeche Mode up to and including Violator.... huge band for me.. could have made my top 5 but New Order and the Cure took up those slots... basically for a good while anything synthy and gay I was into...musicwise that is...

if I had a time machine I would love to be at the 101 shows in LA... the last few albums do nothing for me.. but for a good while everything they touched turned to gold...

Very nice! It's funny to me how folks say particular music was "gay" when nobody in Depeche was gay. Ditto with New Order. Not many synth pop bands were aside from one member in Erasure and Pet Shop Boys. Anyhow, it delights me to hear that you were all about this sort of stuff, Hutch. I'm totally with you on that time machine thing. I'd give anything to have seen DM at the Rose Bowl, but I'd also give anything to have seen them on the World Violation tour with Nitzer Ebb as the opening act. I still debate over whether I'd want to have seen DM during the craziness that was the Devotional and Exoctica tours. Dave Gahan strung out on smack not exactly my idea of fun. I will say that I've not missed a tour since first seeing them in 2001 at Merriweather. Sure the new albums usually only have a few songs I enjoy, but there is something always fantastic about seeing them live. It's thrilling when they pullout songs they haven't done in years/decades. I might be a younger fan, but I'm critical about them. I've yet to be disappointed with a live show.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 05:07:49 am by saintangelsin »

killsaly

« Reply #5264 on: April 09, 2016, 08:28:04 pm »
So far I have really enjoyed them and will be at the 930 Club show!  My parents were not cool enough (and possibly a few years older than your parents) to listen to stuff like Echo & the Bunnymen.

Oh man!!! I grew up on Echo and the Bunnymen! My dad was obsessed with their psychedelic tendencies, but I went nuts for their post-punk early days as a teenager. I have this memory of being 17, lying in bed late at night and listening to Heaven Up Here and Porcupine!!! And this was back in 2002. Ocean Rain is a fucking masterpiece. Enjoy discovering those amazing albums.