Author Topic: 100 favorite musical acts  (Read 2330 times)

Space Freely

Re: 100 favorite musical acts
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2024, 09:41:51 am »
It is his husband's ranch, that allows the fracking; she just lives there part of the year. My favorite quote regarding the fracking issue from Ru . . . "Do you buy gas? Before you point the finger, smell it first, bitch.”

And her music, eats all, regardless.

Hutch . . . I might be wrong, but I believe Alaska's music caters to fans of drag, drag race, and insane gay people.

Given our love for you, I think we're all fans of insane gay people.

Blow, me, Joey

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2024, 10:22:08 am »
I accept that love, and all forms of payments for, said love.

hutch

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2024, 07:00:43 pm »
8. Leonard Cohen

So much to his lyrics….there’s so much there….

I regret missing the Merriweather show….cheapskate

Not a better songwriter than Bob but definitely a better poet.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 07:31:14 pm by Hutch »

Mobius

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2024, 08:48:33 pm »
Among other things, that show at Merriweather was a master class on how to age gracefully. Pure class

hutch

« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2024, 10:13:42 am »
Well….Leonard was always “old” but I get your point

hutch

« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2024, 10:14:43 am »
9. Stephen Malkmus

And I say Malkmus not Pavement intentionally as the years have taught me Malkmus is Pavement

hutch

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2024, 12:36:47 pm »
Losing interest so am unveiling the tablet. Just add Hellacopters to it. The third row are just some acts “bubbling under”

Drum roll

I plan to carry the tablet on my keychain so when people ask me what music I like I whip it out

Yada

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2024, 02:16:57 pm »
bummer

Space Freely

« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2024, 02:18:30 pm »
9. Stephen Malkmus

And I say Malkmus not Pavement intentionally as the years have taught me Malkmus is Pavement

My wife uses Pavement as an example of a band that music snobs like when she goes on her rants about how she hates music snobs.

She also trashes some of my favorites as examples of bands that music snobs like. E.g. Tom Waits, Lucinda Williams.

Though I would argue that true music snobs don't like any of those bands. True music snobs are into hobo shows and the like.

hutch

« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2024, 02:25:06 pm »
Your wife is crazy.  Talent is talent. Great songwriting is great songwriting.

Lucinda and Waits have been at it for like five decades. Critics can hype all they want but if there is no there there acts don’t survive five decades.

Yada

« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2024, 02:25:47 pm »
9. Stephen Malkmus

My wife uses Pavement as an example of a band that music snobs like when she goes on her rants about how she hates music snobs.

She also trashes some of my favorites as examples of bands that music snobs like. E.g. Tom Waits, Lucinda Williams.

Though I would argue that true music snobs don't like any of those bands. True music snobs are into hobo shows and the like.

what I've learned is that Pavement continues to go viral on Tiktok with some of their lesser known, "hits."

Space Freely

« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2024, 02:31:28 pm »
Your wife is crazy.  Talent is talent. Great songwriting is great songwriting.

Lucinda and Waits have been at it for like five decades. Critics can hype all they want but if there is no there there acts don’t survive five decades.

I'm with you, but I'm married to her (thankfully for you.)

She says Lucinda "has a whiny voice" and well with Tom Waits it's obvious...voice is an acquired taste. He's unique.

Obviously, for me, it's not about how pretty the voice is (though I do like some voices especially...Raul Malo, Roy Orbison, Billie Holiday, the list goes on), it's about the songs and how the voice is an effective tool to get the song across.

For her, Maria Carey deserves to be a billionaire and those other artists (Lucinda, Tom, Pavement) are for music snobs who think they are cooler than everyone else.

hutch

« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2024, 03:56:44 pm »
Yeah I had a pretty heated conversation with my uncle 20 years ago about how Bob Dylan was a great singer.

I have given up on having that conversation with people

« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2024, 07:35:46 pm »

what I've learned is that Pavement continues to go viral on Tiktok with some of their lesser known, "hits."
I keep hearing bits of pavement coming from my kids phone
At first I’m all excited and then I hear the same 20 seconds repeat and get maudlin
slack

bearman🐻

« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2024, 01:05:35 pm »
Yeah I had a pretty heated conversation with my uncle 20 years ago about how Bob Dylan was a great singer.

I have given up on having that conversation with people

I think Bob Dylan is for people who catch him at the right place in their lives, and he unlocks something for them that doesn't happen for the rest of us who miss that opportunity. I recognize his talent and influence. He brings something unique and special to the fans of his that found him at a time in their lives when his impact was seismic to their music appreciation and enjoyment. But I cannot get him, I can't stand him, and I also had a roommate whom I couldn't stand who loved Dylan, so that was another strike against him for me. I am glad people enjoy him, but for me he might as well be Dave Matthews. It's like trying to get me to enjoy a rare duck breast with blood oozing out of it. It ain't gonna happen, and it's just not my thing. Now duck confit is another story. That might be more along the lines of Neil Young...and I'm a BIG fan of his.