Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1902878 times)

i am gay and i like cats

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #2775 on: June 09, 2013, 06:22:30 pm »
is it just me . . . when people start talking sports, i lose my hardon.

vansmack

« Reply #2776 on: June 10, 2013, 01:32:50 pm »
I had no idea that Mac's didn't support multiple monitors until they unveiled multiple monitor support at this mornings keynote.  It's 2013 still, right?

They're also calling their new OS Mavericks, which is awesome.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2777 on: June 10, 2013, 01:51:24 pm »
I had no idea that Mac's didn't support multiple monitors until they unveiled multiple monitor support at this mornings keynote.  It's 2013 still, right?

my workmate in the multimedia dept here has 2 monitors.  maybe there's a detail you're missing here, like "supports natively" vs some hack needed before this?
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #2778 on: June 10, 2013, 01:53:21 pm »
my workmate in the multimedia dept here has 2 monitors.  maybe there's a detail you're missing here, like "supports natively" vs some hack needed before this?

Two separate video cards in his machine, maybe?

EDIT:  I see.  It was just mirroring your display before.  Now you can have two actual separate monitors doing two different things:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/10/mac-os-x-mavericks-multi-display/
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 01:56:19 pm by vansmack »
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2779 on: June 10, 2013, 02:33:05 pm »
EDIT:  I see.  It was just mirroring your display before. 

nope... re-visit that link: "Mac OS X Mavericks promises better multi-display options, can use Apple TV as extra monitor. (...) ...for those already using a two-display setup, the dock and menu bar will now appear on either panel as your activity moves between them, and each display can be panned independently.  "

i applaud your desire to cut down apple, but lets keeps it real.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #2780 on: June 10, 2013, 04:07:48 pm »
...for those already using a two-display setup, the dock and menu bar will now appear on either panel as your activity moves between them, and each display can be panned independently.  "

I'll freely admit that I'm not that familiar with Mac OS, but read it again.  It's not that you can't hook up two monitors, it's that you can't control what's in the second monitor.

The dock and menu bar will now appear on either panel.  It didn't used to - which basically meant that while you could move the viewing parts to the second monitor, you couldn't control it without switching apps on your main monitor. 

Each panel will now be panned independently - which is true dual monitor support.

I was surprised that you couldn't do that before - call me naive if you want, but windows has had that for over a decade.  Windows XP allowed you to move the entire window, tool bars and all and all you have to do is move your mouse to the other monitor to control that program.  I'm not sure what good it is to see the window on the other monitor (some artist will correct me, I'm sure), when have to go back to the first monitor switch to that app and then be able to control what's on the second monitor. 

I just had this demonstrated for me in my IT dept - you should do the same as it will make more sense.  Open a browser in one window, put a word document in the other and see how you need the first window to control everything in the second. 
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2781 on: June 10, 2013, 06:04:59 pm »
cool, we're all on the same page :)  your initial post that "Mac's didn't support multiple monitors" did indeed need some additional detail.

Each panel will now be panned independently - which is true dual monitor support.

I was surprised that you couldn't do that before - call me naive if you want, but windows has had that for over a decade. 

i don't think you understand what panning is, in this context:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/264648?start=0&tstart=0

if Windows has this, i've never used it.  every PC that i've worked on, and i've worked on many, if you select a screen size that doesn't match the pixel resolution then Windows will stretch or shrink your desktop to fit.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #2782 on: June 10, 2013, 07:36:19 pm »
i don't think you understand what panning is, in this context:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/264648?start=0&tstart=0

if Windows has this, i've never used it.  every PC that i've worked on, and i've worked on many, if you select a screen size that doesn't match the pixel resolution then Windows will stretch or shrink your desktop to fit.

You are correct - I was using "panning" in the developers context, which is horizontal and vertical scrolling.  I can scroll my email up and down (using my wheel) on my right monitor, even when my mouse is on my left monitor - that's what I thought it was referring to.

The only panning in the context you are referring to that exists in Windows machines exists if your hardware supports (check your Intel graphics properties).  I've never used it, but my Sony laptop supports it. Now that I know it exists I'm sure I'l find a use case for it, but right now I can't think of one.

Here's a pretty good list of what Mavericks brings, with point #1 and #2 being what were the huge surprise to me that they weren't already supported:

#1: migrate the menu items from the primary screen to whatever screen your mouse is focused on...

#2: allow you to make SOME programs run full screen on SOME monitors ... right now when one goes full screen, they all do.

#3: move the dock to whatever screen the mouse is focused on.

#4: allow the use of any Apple TV connected television to become a second/third monitor and still retain 100% of the features of a wired connected monitor.

The last one sounds a lot like MiraCast or WiFiDirect, just with using an existing device in the Apple ecosystem.  I'm sure that's a huge plus for Apple enthusiasts.  I've used Miracast with my tablet and phone for presentations - it's nice for slides (and music), but you really can't rely on it for movies.  Maybe Apple TV will be different.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2783 on: June 20, 2013, 01:10:36 am »
Josh Hamilton's last 9 AB's:

1) K looking

Had two days off...

2) GIDP (Trout had singled)
3) GIDP (Trout had singled)
4) GIDP (Trout had walked)
5) K swinging
6) K swinging

Was moved to 7th in the lineup:

7) Ground out to the catcher
8) K swinging
9) K swinging
27>34

stevewizzle

« Reply #2784 on: June 20, 2013, 09:44:42 am »
* opens fantasy baseball. proposes trade. john lackey for josh hamilton *

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2785 on: June 20, 2013, 10:03:26 am »
i do believe this one is in smackie's wheelhouse:

The Economist explains: How does copyright work in space?
http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2013/05/economist-explains-12

law, copyright, music, astronaut, youtube jurisdiction, a canadian... how can you not love this article?
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #2786 on: June 20, 2013, 11:42:15 am »
i do believe this one is in smackie's wheelhouse:

The Economist explains: How does copyright work in space?
http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2013/05/economist-explains-12

law, copyright, music, astronaut, youtube jurisdiction, a canadian... how can you not love this article?

The whole time I was reading that, I was thinking, I'm pretty sure he cleared it with Bowie before he did this...

Then, in the second to last paragraph: "the matter is straightforward because Commander Hadfield had obtained permission to record and distribute the song, and production and distribution was entirely terrestrial."

Reading the part about the moon did remind me of the time the board was wiped out (or at least partially) for a short period of time and people rushed to be the first to recreate the most popular threads in their own name.  I can see the same happening by some crappy entrepreneur on the moon or Mars - claiming IP rights in that new jurisdiction for what already exists on Earth.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2787 on: June 20, 2013, 11:46:11 am »
* opens fantasy baseball. proposes trade. john lackey for josh hamilton *

Funny.  I should also point out that his ground out to the catcher would have been a double play had he hit it hard enough to reach any other infielder, but alas he missed it so badly that the catchers only play was to first and Callaspo safely reached second.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2788 on: June 20, 2013, 11:54:57 am »
He's got all the tools, but needs to work on his game smarts.

Puig's games yesterday were just quintessential to this point:

4 hits in the double header including an opposite field HR, a bunt single and a stolen base.

He also got thrown out trying to stretch a single into a double on a ball hit to straight away center field and over threw first base trying to throw a runner out at first base that led to a run and a double.

You take the good with the bad I guess.  Someone is going to have to mentor this kid, and if that happens, look out.
27>34

stevewizzle

« Reply #2789 on: June 20, 2013, 12:53:01 pm »
He also got thrown out trying to stretch a single into a double on a ball hit to straight away center field and over threw first base trying to throw a runner out at first base that led to a run and a double.

he's such a manny ramirez.