Author Topic: eMusic again  (Read 4485 times)

Sage 703

eMusic again
« on: January 04, 2008, 01:38:00 pm »
so I just signed up, and I gotta say, it seems pretty amazing.  

can anybody offer any tips on navigating it or getting recommendations from the website?  any features that you found after being a member for awhile that are worth knowing about from the get go?

calecp01

Re: eMusic again
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 02:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by callat703:
  so I just signed up, and I gotta say, it seems pretty amazing.  

can anybody offer any tips on navigating it or getting recommendations from the website?  any features that you found after being a member for awhile that are worth knowing about from the get go?
Once you start downloading and rating stuff the recommendations on the main page end up being pretty helpful

brennser

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 04:24:00 pm »
congrats on seeing the light - emusic really is amazing, I don't know what I would do without it

I think everyone has different approaches and it all depends on how much time you have - cale is right the recs do work (sort of) after a while.....what I find most useful in finding new music is look at what other folks are listening to, looking at other folks lists, i.e., if they've downloaded the national, shout out louds and apples in stereo and have a fourth artist I haven't heard of that they love I'll download at least a few tracks purely based on that

I also look at the message boards from time to time, esp the new releases thread because often people comment on specific new releases andone will catch my eye

ratioci nation

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 04:38:00 pm »
I tend to look at what Brennser has been downloading   :D  

Although lately I have been listening to audio books during my drive to work and find it harder and harder to find new music I want to listen to

El Jefe Design

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 05:22:00 pm »
The Dozens feature is kinda interesting but can be limiting. There are a few good labels (Matador, Dischord, Touch and Go, etc...) on there so select those and ge tthe higher ranked goodies.

They just did a best of 2007 but I can not find it for some reason.

nkotb

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 05:54:00 pm »
I always forget about the "Friends" list in eMusic.  I just added brennser, and I think I found Kosmo too.

If anyone wants to add me, here's my profile page.  Like everyone else, I'm always looking for new suggestions.

http://www.emusic.com/profile/mycollection.html?nickname=aobehr

Originally posted by pdx pollard:
  I tend to look at what Brennser has been downloading    :D  

ratioci nation

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 06:02:00 pm »

vansmack

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 06:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by pdx pollard:
  Although lately I have been listening to audio books during my drive to work and find it harder and harder to find new music I want to listen to
Agreed.  I just suspended my account after creating a backlog of downloads that stretched into the 100's.
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 06:22:00 pm »
I slog through all the new added titles which can be tedious at times, any period longer than a week at a time it's pretty mind numbing.   I've learned to play closer to attention to who the distributor is for instance Vital:PIAS Digital, Uploader and  is a great source for UK indie labels.  Some of my favorite labels are Daptone, In The Red,  Light in the Attic , BBE, the various V2 labels, All the labels under the Beggars umbrella, even noticed Deltasonic (home of The Coral, Dead 60s) had a release show up the other day.

Just beware there is a lot of re-recorded aongs especially for notable oldies releases, I really leary of many of the labels handled by The Orchard..  If yeah don't recognize the label it's probably crap.
T.Rex

slappy

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 12:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo:
  I slog through all the new added titles which can be tedious at times, any period longer than a week at a time it's pretty mind numbing.   I've learned to play closer to attention to who the distributor is for instance Vital:PIAS Digital, Uploader and  is a great source for UK indie labels.  Some of my favorite labels are Daptone, In The Red,  Light in the Attic , BBE, the various V2 labels, All the labels under the Beggars umbrella, even noticed Deltasonic (home of The Coral, Dead 60s) had a release show up the other day.

Just beware there is a lot of re-recorded aongs especially for notable oldies releases, I really leary of many of the labels handled by The Orchard..  If yeah don't recognize the label it's probably crap.
Setanta is good for late 80's/early 90's UK stuff like Boo Radley's , A House, Mighty Lemon Drops, etc.

Sage 703

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 01:17:00 pm »
I adore this website.  Found some incredible things that I never otherwise would have heard.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 10:08:00 pm »
The Constellation label is now available on emusic!

Silver Mt. Zion, Carla Bozulich, the last album by Vic Chesnutt, DO MAKE SAY THINK!

ahhhhh!!!!!!!! I'm downloading tonite!
(_|_)

Chip Chanko

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 07:16:00 pm »
Do you guys get album art when you download from them? I just re-signed up to try it out again (i used it a long time ago but they didn't have very good selection then) and noticed that none of the albums I've downloaded so far came with the cover art.

FYI in trying to find a place where I could get an mp3 copy of the new Cass McCombs album I discovered that Other Music in NYC has a digital download store online (although fixed rate 320 mbps...kind of big).

El Jefe Design

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 10:31:00 pm »
NO, but you can get album art through iTunes without having to purchase it through the iTunes store.

Chip Chanko

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 11:30:00 pm »
If you use iTunes (which I do). But still, that's pretty ridiculous that they don't supply it.