Author Topic: COVID-19 2020  (Read 401335 times)

Starsky

Re: COVID-19 2020
« Reply #3765 on: December 20, 2021, 01:19:29 pm »
School isn’t just about taking tests or being in a classroom listening to teachers…that’s arguably for many the least important part

Particularly for younger kids it’s about learning to be social, make friendships….relate

Older kids obviously will bear virtual learning  much better than younger kids…

What gets me about those always in favor of shutting down in the name of safety is they never give any consideration to all the other costs of doing so… it’s like those costs don’t matter because all that matters is not dying but what living are you left with… is someone going to step in and take care of the kids that get left behind…alive but… how many years do they need to stay home? Forever? And how likely is it my fully vaccinated kids would get covid and die from school? I mean it must be infinitesimal!

It’s just so moronic… the failure to balance all the costs with the benefit… as if a case of covid for a fully vaccinated person who wears masks to school is automatic death…

UK is averaging close to 100,000 new cases with 100 deaths per day.

Oh and let’s throw the economy in the crapper again…
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 01:21:40 pm by Starsky »

« Reply #3766 on: December 20, 2021, 01:21:20 pm »
Some might even argue that disgruntled NoVA parents were one reason why Youngkin won.
I think it's gone from argument to fact on that
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #3767 on: December 20, 2021, 01:42:15 pm »
School isn’t just about taking tests or being in a classroom listening to teachers…that’s arguably for many the least important part

Particularly for younger kids it’s about learning to be social, make friendships….relate

Older kids obviously will bear virtual learning  much better than younger kids…

What gets me about those always in favor of shutting down in the name of safety is they never give any consideration to all the other costs of doing so… it’s like those costs don’t matter because all that matters is not dying but what living are you left with… is someone going to step in and take care of the kids that get left behind…alive but… how many years do they need to stay home? Forever? And how likely is it my fully vaccinated kids would get covid and die from school? I mean it must be infinitesimal!

It’s just so moronic… the failure to balance all the costs with the benefit… as if a case of covid for a fully vaccinated person who wears masks to school is automatic death…

UK is averaging close to 100,000 new cases with 100 deaths per day.

Oh and let’s throw the economy in the crapper again…

ii was adking those same questions all the eay back in April 2020. Guess i was ahead of my time, lol.

Some would say of course those kids aren't going to die but their immunocompromised parents and grandparents could.

Starsky

« Reply #3768 on: December 20, 2021, 01:45:39 pm »
I was a kid that would have been happy not to go to school. For years I hated it.

Studying- barely- was the easiest part…I studied but I didn’t need to study much except one class: Physics 11th grade

I remember in high school deciding to take the AP in European history never having actually taken a course, read or studied about European history

The night and day before (on train to school) I read a book on European history, went in and got a 5 of course….my sixth five.. when I went to college on a full scholarship I had a full years worth of credits in the bag….not that I needed them…

Thing is I had a tough time relating to people, making friends, avoiding being bullied until 9th grade (when I put a stop to it)….it’s no wonder being transferred from country to country school to school language to language and having a father- the most important person in my life- that didn’t have one friend after 40…. Meaning I never remember him having a friend 

But it would of all been so much worse if I had done virtual learning…I never would have had contact with anyone outside my kooky father and beaten down mother…my difficulties relating to people would have superseded any academic potential… and arguably it wasn’t even enough…I still had difficulties dealing with people and it did bite me in the ass hard

Staying alive is great but learning to live a life worth living is better….

I wish people thought about some of these things before just letting public health professionals make every decision for us… it’s just a little more complicated than stay at home stay alive

And space the thing is it’s ok to take off a year and change when people are dropping dead in the streets by the thousands daily…and there are no vaccines Space…

But that’s not the situation today!

Space Freely

« Reply #3769 on: December 20, 2021, 01:50:59 pm »
i hear ya hutch. A+ would read again. Thanks for sharing.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3770 on: December 20, 2021, 02:59:47 pm »
how many years do they need to stay home? Forever?

don't be a drama queen.  the last lockdown wasn't forever (and in this country, it wasn't even really a lockdown). 

"what?  i have to take a BATH?!?  how long to do i have to stay in the tub, FOREVER?!?!?!111"

And how likely is it my fully vaccinated kids would get covid and die from school? I mean it must be infinitesimal!

you do realize how societies work, right?  just because something doesn't apply 100% to you, personally, doesn't mean it's not the right thing for a society to do.

It’s just so moronic…

agreed

the failure to balance all the costs with the benefit… as if a case of covid for a fully vaccinated person who wears masks to school is automatic death…

do you seriously think that policy makers did not consider the costs and benefits of various mandates before declaring them?  "oh, mary says we should lockdown - i dunno, sounds good to me, let's GOOOOOO!!!"?

or is it that you disagree with the risk/reward assessments that have been made?  perfectly understandable, but don't grandstand that no one is looking at the costs.
<sig>

« Reply #3771 on: December 20, 2021, 03:03:30 pm »
Bowser said Monday that she is reinstating the District’s indoor mask mandate and declared a state of emergency.

“I will reinstate a citywide mask order,” Bowser said during a briefing, and added that the city plans expanded testing during the winter surge of COVID-19.

Bowser’s order starts at 6 a.m. Tuesday. It will run until Jan. 31.
slack

Starsky

« Reply #3772 on: December 20, 2021, 03:16:10 pm »
I am sorry sweetcell did I mock you, insult you or what have you?

GTFO

Starsky

« Reply #3773 on: December 20, 2021, 03:20:40 pm »

Anyways a lot of it is still in my head but it wasn’t all bad… I must have gotten along with people to get elected student body government president in high school

And no contrary to sweetcell’s rude ass post my concerns are not mainly about my kids.. they will be alright…more like kids in general…a whole generation of them

Yada

« Reply #3774 on: December 20, 2021, 03:47:09 pm »

Anyways a lot of it is still in my head but it wasn’t all bad… I must have gotten along with people to get elected student body government president in high school

And no contrary to sweetcell’s rude ass post my concerns are not mainly about my kids.. they will be alright…more like kids in general…a whole generation of them

Not saying this is true for sweetcell, but I seriously think some people enjoy the mass disruption, panic, lockdowns, isolotation, etc. that covid has caused. Kids being out of school should've never happened in the first place and still shouldn't happen IMO.

Space Freely

« Reply #3775 on: December 20, 2021, 03:58:04 pm »
DCPS closed January 3 and 4 so they can distribute 100K self tests.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3776 on: December 20, 2021, 04:36:23 pm »
I am sorry sweetcell did I mock you, insult you or what have you?

GTFO

that is an excellent rebuttal to the points i made.  i will have to reconsider my position based on the arguments you present. 
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3777 on: December 20, 2021, 04:47:34 pm »
And no contrary to sweetcell’s rude ass post

where exactly was i rude?

or are you not used to having your ideas challenged?

or are you THAT sensitive?

<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #3778 on: December 20, 2021, 04:56:24 pm »
how many years do they need to stay home? Forever?

don't be a drama queen.  the last lockdown wasn't forever (and in this country, it wasn't even really a lockdown). 

"what?  i have to take a BATH?!?  how long to do i have to stay in the tub, FOREVER?!?!?!111"

And how likely is it my fully vaccinated kids would get covid and die from school? I mean it must be infinitesimal!

you do realize how societies work, right?  just because something doesn't apply 100% to you, personally, doesn't mean it's not the right thing for a society to do.

It’s just so moronic…

agreed

the failure to balance all the costs with the benefit… as if a case of covid for a fully vaccinated person who wears masks to school is automatic death…

do you seriously think that policy makers did not consider the costs and benefits of various mandates before declaring them?  "oh, mary says we should lockdown - i dunno, sounds good to me, let's GOOOOOO!!!"?

or is it that you disagree with the risk/reward assessments that have been made?  perfectly understandable, but don't grandstand that no one is looking at the costs.

Rude, condescending and mocking…not worth engaging with…

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3779 on: December 20, 2021, 05:02:30 pm »
or are you not used to having your ideas challenged?

or are you THAT sensitive?
It's like you're just discovering Hutch for the first time.
LVMH