Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243695 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #3090 on: July 18, 2013, 10:49:03 am »
How do you guys feel about Stone Farkin Wheaton? A 13% imperial wheat stout made in collaboration with actor/homebrewer Wil Wheaton?

slappy

« Reply #3091 on: July 18, 2013, 10:58:08 am »
How do you guys feel about Stone Farkin Wheaton? A 13% imperial wheat stout made in collaboration with actor/homebrewer Wil Wheaton?

I don't feel anything from a beer until I taste it.

James Ford

« Reply #3092 on: July 18, 2013, 11:22:55 am »
Fair enough. Do you think good or bad thoughts when "wheat" and "imperial stout" are used in the same sentence...was what i was getting at.

I don't feel anything from a beer until I taste it.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3093 on: July 18, 2013, 12:41:17 pm »
Fair enough. Do you think good or bad thoughts when "wheat" and "imperial stout" are used in the same sentence...was what i was getting at.

that's what struck me the most about that.  some think that wheat doesn't age well, if that's true then this would need to be drunk fresh... and generally imp stouts do better with some time on them.  if i found some, and it wasn't stupid expensive, i'd get some just to age it and see if there is anything to the "wheat doesn't age well" argument.

wheat has a very distinct taste, depending on how much the used in the recipe this could be a unique stout.

guess it's settled then, i'm getting some.  ford, have you seen any locally?  imma gonna make a few calls...
<sig>

stevewizzle

« Reply #3094 on: July 18, 2013, 01:28:54 pm »
While Gordon Biersch isn't the greatest place, the all out hate is a little over the top and ignorant.

dang some straight hate on GB!

the location at nats park is nice, and they use to have local brews on tap too.  i thought that was cool.

James Ford

« Reply #3095 on: July 18, 2013, 01:37:32 pm »
$9.99/bottle at Total Wine. $10.99 at Chevy Chase. MD will be getting some, but not available yet.

that's what struck me the most about that.  some think that wheat doesn't age well, if that's true then this would need to be drunk fresh... and generally imp stouts do better with some time on them.  if i found some, and it wasn't stupid expensive, i'd get some just to age it and see if there is anything to the "wheat doesn't age well" argument.

wheat has a very distinct taste, depending on how much the used in the recipe this could be a unique stout.

guess it's settled then, i'm getting some.  ford, have you seen any locally?  imma gonna make a few calls...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 01:40:17 pm by James Ford »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3096 on: July 18, 2013, 01:46:08 pm »
i also don't quite get the GB hate.  they are boring, but they do make clean, well-brewed lagers.   it's hard to really wow the beer nerds with german lagers - maybe they should try keeping a dopplebock on tap all the time instead of making it a seasonal... or making a properly hoppy pilsner.  on an occasion or two it has been a restaurant where i can take non-beer-drinkers that is better than the other options.  

$9.99/bottle at Total Wine. $10.99 at Chevy Chase. MD will be getting some, but not available yet.

cool, thanks.  i'm going to hit the FB WF on my way home, need to buy some groceries anyways.  might hit something else along the Red Line if i they don't have any.
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3097 on: July 18, 2013, 01:49:39 pm »
maybe they should try keeping a dopplebock on tap all the time instead of making it a seasonal... or making a properly hoppy pilsner. 

Bocks and Pilseners are lagers, so no.  I only ever go there when non-beer drinkers choose the place.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3098 on: July 18, 2013, 03:01:11 pm »
maybe they should try keeping a dopplebock on tap all the time instead of making it a seasonal... or making a properly hoppy pilsner. 

Bocks and Pilseners are lagers, so no. 

dude, are you trying to school me in beer styles?!?  this ain't gonna end well for ya... ;D

my point was, if they want to focus on lagers and they want to impress beer nerds, they should up the output of those two offerings (lagers!).
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #3099 on: July 18, 2013, 03:16:47 pm »
But weizenbock's are ales, right?

That's my favorite German beer style.

atomicfront

« Reply #3100 on: July 18, 2013, 03:25:28 pm »
When people say they don't like Lagers I think they mean they don't like pale lagers.  Marzen's are lagers.  There is no reason you couldn't have a super hoppy lager.  I just had a jug of Blackwing Lager from Union Craft that was pretty tasty. 

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3101 on: July 18, 2013, 03:32:42 pm »
But weizenbock's are ales, right?

That's my favorite German beer style.

The German Beer Institute says yes.
http://www.thebeerspot.com/beer/style/weizenbock

atomicfront

« Reply #3102 on: July 18, 2013, 03:45:11 pm »
Has anyone made a Saisson?  I have been making beer in my basement and as it isn't air conditioned down there I thought it might be getting too hot.  But it looks like you use this yeast up to 95 degrees:

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=60

killsaly

« Reply #3103 on: July 18, 2013, 03:52:28 pm »
http://blogs.citypaper.com/index.php/2013/07/cardin-coming-to-heavy-seas-to-push-bill-for-small-brewers/
Senator Ben Cardin will visit the Heavy Seas brewery in Halethorpe tomorrow to tour the expanding facilities and answer questions about the Small BREW Act (The Small Brewer Reinvestment and Expanding Workforce Act), a bipartisan bill he and Maine Senator Susan Collins introduced to Congress in May.

Currently, brewers pay an excise tax of $18 per barrel. Small breweries, or those who brew less than 2 million barrels of beer a year, pay $7 a barrel. Under the Small BREW Act, the excise tax rate on each barrel of beer would be reduced from $7 to $3.50 for first 60,000 barrels; after 60,000 barrels and up to 2 million barrels, the excise rate would be $16 per barrel. For breweries making over 6 million barrels of beer, the change in taxation would not apply at all. In 2012, Heavy Seas sold 33,000 barrels of beer (or 10,912,000 12-ounce bottles of beer). By contrast, Sam Adams aka Boston Beer Company?s barrelage per year is 2.1 million.

With Union Craft Brewing celebrating its first anniversary next weekend, the recent addition of Peabody Heights Brewery to the city?s brewing scene, and at least two breweries as close as Columbia with plans to open in 2014, the bill would be an economic boon to these new businesses. According to Cardin?s website, there are 24 Maryland craft breweries in the planning stages.

atomicfront

« Reply #3104 on: July 18, 2013, 04:54:32 pm »
http://blogs.citypaper.com/index.php/2013/07/cardin-coming-to-heavy-seas-to-push-bill-for-small-brewers/
Senator Ben Cardin will visit the Heavy Seas brewery in Halethorpe tomorrow to tour the expanding facilities and answer questions about the Small BREW Act (The Small Brewer Reinvestment and Expanding Workforce Act), a bipartisan bill he and Maine Senator Susan Collins introduced to Congress in May.

Currently, brewers pay an excise tax of $18 per barrel. Small breweries, or those who brew less than 2 million barrels of beer a year, pay $7 a barrel. Under the Small BREW Act, the excise tax rate on each barrel of beer would be reduced from $7 to $3.50 for first 60,000 barrels; after 60,000 barrels and up to 2 million barrels, the excise rate would be $16 per barrel. For breweries making over 6 million barrels of beer, the change in taxation would not apply at all. In 2012, Heavy Seas sold 33,000 barrels of beer (or 10,912,000 12-ounce bottles of beer). By contrast, Sam Adams aka Boston Beer Company?s barrelage per year is 2.1 million.

With Union Craft Brewing celebrating its first anniversary next weekend, the recent addition of Peabody Heights Brewery to the city?s brewing scene, and at least two breweries as close as Columbia with plans to open in 2014, the bill would be an economic boon to these new businesses. According to Cardin?s website, there are 24 Maryland craft breweries in the planning stages.

Looks like there will be a ton of local breweries to choose from.  There seems to be Union Craft, Flying Dog, and Heavy Seas at every restaurant in town.  Soon you will have no reason not to buy local.  I guess that was how it was before World War II.