Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3242793 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #7410 on: September 28, 2016, 03:25:21 pm »
I saw these cool little 5L mini-kegs of Oberon earlier. I really like this beer but they basically only sell it for 6 months out of the year. Stored in this format at room temperature, how long hypothetically would one of these remain good? (And would it change it if I stuck it in my freezerfridge?)

would definitely last longer in the fridge.

the beer shouldn't spoil or become undrinkable with time, it will just taste less fresh.  wheat beers tend to age very poorly, as in the show the effects of age sooner.  everyone has a different tolerance for aged/oxidized beers.

all that to say: kept in the fridge, it should be fine for several months... personally i wouldn't go more than 3 or 4, and really you should just drink it asap.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #7411 on: September 28, 2016, 04:12:14 pm »
so I guess no one went to the Aslin 1 year
also no post show reports from Snallygaster? (I was trying to get to Canteen that Friday before..then they tweeted they were not doing it  :(  )

also this is going on this week http://dcbeerweek.net

few interesting events:
Sour Week at the Partisan
The 3 Fonteinen Bottle Share @ Sovereign
Ocelot Invades Brookland Pint
The Allagash Sour & Barrel-Aged Night @ rustico in Ballston
Handsome Beer Co. Goes Belgian @ Brasserie Beck
The Ballast Point 20th Anniversary Party @ churchkey
Cask Night at District ChopHouse & Brewery $50 -Unlimited samples of over 20 casks from the DMV
Denizens' ''Make It Funky' Wild Beer Festival
Cantillon Zwanze Day 2016 @ Sovereign

I am pretty sure Brennser went to the Aslin Anniversary Party (did he do the weekend daily double and hit the 3 Stars Hopfunkfest as well?). If he did, hope I get to see him in the sunglasses.  ;)

brennser

« Reply #7412 on: September 28, 2016, 09:30:47 pm »
so I guess no one went to the Aslin 1 year
also no post show reports from Snallygaster? (I was trying to get to Canteen that Friday before..then they tweeted they were not doing it  :(  )

also this is going on this week http://dcbeerweek.net

few interesting events:
The 3 Fonteinen Bottle Share @ Sovereign
Ocelot Invades Brookland Pint
The Allagash Sour & Barrel-Aged Night @ rustico in Ballston
The Ballast Point 20th Anniversary Party @ churchkey
Cask Night at District ChopHouse & Brewery $50 -Unlimited samples of over 20 casks from the DMV
Denizens' ''Make It Funky' Wild Beer Festival
Cantillon Zwanze Day 2016 @ Sovereign

I am pretty sure Brennser went to the Aslin Anniversary Party (did he do the weekend daily double and hit the 3 Stars Hopfunkfest as well?). If he did, hope I get to see him in the sunglasses.  ;)

i went - it was great and worth every penny despite all the hating on the BA forum - we all know their core beers are great - the collars were mostly good to very good except for the pen druid collab - there were a ridiculous number of guest beers (6 or 7 taps rotated every hour for a total of 18-21 guest beers)

« Reply #7413 on: September 28, 2016, 11:38:44 pm »
i went -
let's see the sunglasses or it didn't happen

went to Sehkraft tonight...just can't get excited about their beers
brought a growler with me, but $20 for the DIPA
didn't pass the space sniff test and left with an empty growler
I did like the Union Old Pro Gose tho

also tryin to decide for tomorrow...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 11:45:11 pm by SidebySide 🛠⛏|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|🗡⚔ »
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #7414 on: September 29, 2016, 09:07:44 am »
Ok beer nerds. Which five from this list would you pick to enjoy with your partner in crime over a leisurely two hour dinner??? This was the beer list for the Smoke and Barrel Anniversary Party Tuesday. No cover charges, no sunglasses, but there was a wing-eating contest (?!). Of course, we went on Wednesday, when their were half priced drafts (but no wing-eating contest).

At some point, I'll post my five picks as well as reviews of the beers.

1. Victory Prima Pils
2. Port City Optimal Wit
3. RAR Nanticoke Nectar
4. Bold Rock Crimson Ridge Vat No. 1 Cider
5. DC Brau Oktoberfest
6. Firestone Helldorado
7. Ocelot Planets Align IPA
8. Ommegang Barrel-Aged 3 Philosophers
9. RAR/Hoof Hearted Hoof RARted Imperial IPA
10. Atlas Rowdier
11. Perennial Von Pampelmuse
12. Allagash Avance
13. Right Proper Kick Kick Snare
14. Wicked Weed Marina
15. Manor Hill Hidden Hopyard 5
16. Smuttynose Orville
17. Founders KBS
18. Fremont Bourbon Aboninable Winter Ale
19. Firestone Walker Krieky Bones
20. Logsdon Szech N? Brett
21. Otter Creek 25th Anniversary Imperial IPL
22. Fair Winds Masthead Mosaic
23. 3 Stars Two Headed Unicorn
24. 3 Stars Pounding Trees

Yada

« Reply #7415 on: September 29, 2016, 09:13:02 am »
Ok beer nerds. Which five from this list would you pick to enjoy with your partner in crime over a leisurely two hour dinner??? This was the beer list for the Smoke and Barrel Anniversary Party Tuesday. No cover charges, no sunglasses, but there was a wing-eating contest (?!). Of course, we went on Wednesday, when their were half priced drafts (but no wing-eating contest).

At some point, I'll post my five picks as well as reviews of the beers.

1. Victory Prima Pils
2. Port City Optimal Wit
3. RAR Nanticoke Nectar
4. Bold Rock Crimson Ridge Vat No. 1 Cider
5. DC Brau Oktoberfest
6. Firestone Helldorado
7. Ocelot Planets Align IPA
8. Ommegang Barrel-Aged 3 Philosophers
10. Atlas Rowdier
11. Perennial Von Pampelmuse
12. Allagash Avance
13. Right Proper Kick Kick Snare
14. Wicked Weed Marina
15. Manor Hill Hidden Hopyard 5
16. Smuttynose Orville
17. Founders KBS
21. Otter Creek 25th Anniversary Imperial IPL
22. Fair Winds Masthead Mosaic
23. 3 Stars Two Headed Unicorn
24. 3 Stars Pounding Trees

6. Firestone Helldorado
14. Wicked Weed Marina
17. Founders KBS

I'd then wash all those downs with a half pour of one of the IPAs, most likely the RARted because I've never had it.

brennser

« Reply #7416 on: September 29, 2016, 09:29:25 am »
6. Firestone Helldorado

fatskippy

« Reply #7417 on: September 29, 2016, 09:30:53 am »
I tried a few Wicked Weed sours for the first time last weekend and Marina was my favorite, great beer.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #7418 on: September 29, 2016, 10:46:41 am »
Underground pipeline for beer becomes operational!
http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/19/news/beer-pipeline-bruges-belgium/

Space Freely

« Reply #7419 on: September 29, 2016, 02:37:00 pm »
6. Firestone Helldorado

That's close to what I chose. We were only going to have the first four, but then opted for a fifth...Manor HillHidden Hopyard 5.

FW Helldorado-first had this at a Firestone Walker event, liked it even more than Sucaba, Parabola, and the Anniversary beer (forget what vintage). Even my wife, who doesn't like bourbon aged beers, though it was excellent.

RAR/Hoof Hearted Hoof RARted Imperial IPA-this was excellent. Hoof Hearted (and RAR) knows how to make hoppy beers for sure, even if their customer service (HH, not RAR) at their brewpub sucks.

Fremont Bourbon Abominable Winter Ale=this might be my favorite barrel-aged stout. For me it beat KBS in a side by side at the Founders/Fremont thing at Meridian Pint...plus I have KBS sitting at home and no Abominable. Amazing paired with the double chocolate cheesecake.

Firestone Walker Krieky Bones- had never heard of this beer, but I'm a sucker for anything with cherry, and if FW is making it, you know it's going to be excellent. And it was.

Manor Hill Hidden Hopyard 5-I had every intention of getting the Ocelot (or the Wicked Weed, the Lodgson, or the KBS, but gotta please my hophead wife)...but when I saw the description of this one "hazy New England style DIPA with Citra and Mosaic" I knew I had to try it. It looked, smelled, and tasted like an Aslin DIPA...if you had told me it was an Aslin beer, I wouldn't have second-guessed at all...it was that great.

So five for five, all of them were excellent.

medeski7

« Reply #7420 on: September 29, 2016, 02:43:56 pm »
Manor Hill Hidden Hopyard 5-I had every intention of getting the Ocelot (or the Wicked Weed, the Lodgson, or the KBS, but gotta please my hophead wife)...but when I saw the description of this one "hazy New England style DIPA with Citra and Mosaic" I knew I had to try it. It looked, smelled, and tasted like an Aslin DIPA...if you had told me it was an Aslin beer, I wouldn't have second-guessed at all...it was that great.

Totally agree.  The fam and I went to Manor Hill last weekend.  It's a really nice place.  They take reservations, so it didn't get too crowded.  Lots of space for kids to run around and not bother childless patrons.  The beer was really solid too.  Hidden Hopyard 5 was a major crowd pleaser.  We grabbed some four packs of that and the Citra Splendor, which was also awesome, to take home.

Yada

« Reply #7421 on: September 29, 2016, 02:51:07 pm »
6. Firestone Helldorado

That's close to what I chose. We were only going to have the first four, but then opted for a fifth...Manor HillHidden Hopyard 5.

FW Helldorado-first had this at a Firestone Walker event, liked it even more than Sucaba, Parabola, and the Anniversary beer (forget what vintage). Even my wife, who doesn't like bourbon aged beers, though it was excellent.

RAR/Hoof Hearted Hoof RARted Imperial IPA-this was excellent. Hoof Hearted (and RAR) knows how to make hoppy beers for sure, even if their customer service (HH, not RAR) at their brewpub sucks.

Fremont Bourbon Abominable Winter Ale=this might be my favorite barrel-aged stout. For me it beat KBS in a side by side at the Founders/Fremont thing at Meridian Pint...plus I have KBS sitting at home and no Abominable. Amazing paired with the double chocolate cheesecake.

Firestone Walker Krieky Bones- had never heard of this beer, but I'm a sucker for anything with cherry, and if FW is making it, you know it's going to be excellent. And it was.

That fremont beer isn't a stout is, it?

Space Freely

« Reply #7422 on: September 29, 2016, 03:00:22 pm »
6. Firestone Helldorado

That fremont beer isn't a stout is, it?

I think that's a question best answered by Sweetcell, but here's mine...

I know Ratebeer and Beer Advocate call it an "American Strong Ale" (whatever that means), but reading this description from Fremont, how could it not be a stout?

Lovingly referred to by Fremonters as the B-BOMB, this bourbon barrel-aged edition of our winter ale has a warming spicy aroma and rich carmelly notes of bourbon, wood and vanilla added to dark roasty chocolatey malt flavors and subtle hopping.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7423 on: September 29, 2016, 03:20:23 pm »
quick answer: based on my recollection of B-Bomb, it rides the line between a spice beer (a winter warmer) and a stout.  it's not quite roasty enough to be a stout, but it's damn roasty for a spice beer.
<sig>