Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2699596 times)

eltee

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #3930 on: May 29, 2012, 08:18:28 pm »
Dandy Warhols looking unlikely now. Someone just alerted me to a Nautical Almanac thing at Floristree tomorrow evening. Yeah, lame of me, I know.

no worries, thanks for note. I haven't made it down yet due to storm so my attendance is compromised too.

azaghal1981

« Reply #3931 on: May 29, 2012, 11:57:12 pm »
That band Sourpatch playing the Dollhouse Friday is pretty great. Lots of 90's Slumberland influence.
احمد

lily1

« Reply #3932 on: May 31, 2012, 08:58:10 am »
i had never seen them live figured i'd check them out. they are not really to my musical taste but i'm glad i checked them out as their show was quite strong-good presence, tight  band, played for about an hour and 35 minutes.

why avoiding rnr?

great lakes swimmers (really good too, but not really my sound) at rnr hotel.
good show? wish i had gone. avoiding rnr or buddying up when i eventually go.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3933 on: May 31, 2012, 03:47:40 pm »
if you are going out on friday . . . be careful!!  postponing my vacation by one day, because i am not driving through this!

calling for severe t-storms, heavy hail and possible tornadoes
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 03:49:12 pm by walkonby »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3934 on: May 31, 2012, 08:53:20 pm »
I thought the Radiohead show wasn't until Sunday?
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #3935 on: May 31, 2012, 09:43:39 pm »
Well, given that Walkies is making it sound as if tomorrow will be doomsday, there will be no venue for Radiohead to play on Sunday.
احمد

eltee

« Reply #3936 on: May 31, 2012, 10:47:10 pm »
i had never seen them live figured i'd check them out. they are not really to my musical taste but i'm glad i checked them out as their show was quite strong-good presence, tight  band, played for about an hour and 35 minutes.

why avoiding rnr?

great lakes swimmers (really good too, but not really my sound) at rnr hotel.
good show? wish i had gone. avoiding rnr or buddying up when i eventually go.
everyone says it's shite: sound, sight, staff, etc. and I haven't quite figured out secure parking yet.

azaghal1981

« Reply #3937 on: May 31, 2012, 11:22:49 pm »
CD Cellar show tomorrow with Cash Slave Clique and some others. I will probably end up there.

I really like that room as a venue. Sounds surprisingly good.

احمد

lily1

« Reply #3938 on: June 01, 2012, 10:22:00 am »
i don't think rnr is that bad. the sound is ok, not 930 great, but good. on par with black cat. and i just take the X2 bus from gallery place right on over, but i live on the greenline so its easy to get up there and transfer tob us. i've found that the x2 runs rather frequently.

the staff on the other hand, are unpredictable. i was there twice last week. the first time, the bouncer and the ticket staff were just kinda cold and unwelcoming but the second time, they were all friendly and helpful.

their ticketing process kinda sucks. if you want to buy advance tickets you have to do so online with a credit card, or they can do it for you at the venue but you can only pay cash. and i wish they gave you physical tickets. i'm one of those people that holds onto all their ticket stubs to show the grandkids how much of a bad ass grandma was back in the day!

oh, and they have a roof deck! that's nice.

hutch

« Reply #3939 on: June 01, 2012, 01:00:54 pm »
I found the RNR Hotel to be an abomination. imagine a narrow rectangular room where the band is in the narrow part and everyone is squeezed together going back to the door so the people in the back can't see jack squat. If you wanted to see anyting you'd have to get there really early - I got there  towards end of opener and was still way way in the back for the White Denim and even if you made it to a good viewing spot which i think would have to be close to stage it would be hard to get back to the bar or use the bathrooms or anything... or have your friends come later and actually find you.. a total clusterfuck.. ALso, I don't even think White Denim sold out so if thats how it is for a not sold out show...

will never go back unless Billie Holiday is playing her comeback show there or something. I am tall and being able to see the show is what its all about.. if I can't see the show I don't want to be there..I did love the rooftop bar and liked the vibe in the middle room (ACDC , and a lot of metal , hair metal blaring out of juke)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 01:07:59 pm by hutch »

eltee

« Reply #3940 on: June 01, 2012, 09:23:35 pm »
Is the stage especially low? I went to U Hall, and I guess it's a wide rectangle, maybe a square, and while it wasn't filled, I could see the person on stage. (minus a person or two standing in front of me).
I've given up trying to see at shows, I'm too short and most shows are sold out. What I can't stand is when I'm packed in with nose to someone's back.
Thanks for the details, hutch. That's pretty much why I haven't gone yet...Each time I ask if it's gotten better, it hasn't. While commenters appear varied, each seem to have the same bad experiences & observations. I'm trusting those for now.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 09:28:44 pm by eltee »

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #3941 on: June 01, 2012, 11:28:40 pm »
My experience @ RnR was fine - staff was friendly, beer was reasonable-ish, got there early enough to be able to see the stage, sound was ok.  I fully agree that if you're stuck in the back of that room you're S.O.L.

The rooftop bar was ok for having a drink outside but did they have to enclose it like that?  Would be nice to have an unobstructed view of something other than the sky.

azaghal1981

« Reply #3942 on: June 03, 2012, 09:24:12 am »
Dengue Fever & Omar Souleyman Wednesday
The Clean Thursday (I have had similar negative RNR Hotel experiences to those listed earlier and Steve Lambert's scumbaggery has yet to be touched on but it is The Clean and could possibly be my last chance to see them)
Sidenote: I think local musicians are slowly starting to come to their senses and are turning down Hood Booking when approached by them with offers to open shows at the Blowtel/DC9/Red Palace. Hopefully this trend continues.
Back Alley Theater show featuring Susan Alcorn and Insect Factory Friday.
Citizens Arrest/Ceremony/a bunch of other bands at St. Stephen's Saturday.
احمد

eltee

« Reply #3943 on: June 03, 2012, 02:12:15 pm »
I hope some shows at RnR go elswhere, they and Red Palace do receive quite a few I'd like to see.
Anyhow...Rhett Miller at JJ Mon., Matthew Sweet at club Sat. (I have an extra ticket if anyone wants it - free - azag?)

hutch

« Reply #3944 on: June 03, 2012, 06:00:56 pm »
I hope some shows at RnR go elswhere, they and Red Palace do receive quite a few I'd like to see.
Anyhow...Rhett Miller at JJ Mon., Matthew Sweet at club Sat. (I have an extra ticket if anyone wants it - free - azag?)

i liked the red palace!