Author Topic: The Official Coachella Line-Up  (Read 42246 times)

bearman🐻

Re: The Official Coachella Line-Up
« Reply #135 on: May 04, 2004, 01:20:00 pm »
I respectfully disagree, but as a Radiohead fan I can tell the difference anyway.

vansmack

« Reply #136 on: May 04, 2004, 02:38:00 pm »
Time for the old guy who only went to Saturday's show with the intention of seeing the Pixies really.

I'm way too old for this shit.  I'm shocked I even used to enjoy it. And it was way too hot.  Say what you want about a dry heat, but 100+ is 100+ no matter what.

I agree that the Pixies were fantastic (I thought they were better then Radiohead, but I'm in the mminority - I also knew all the words so again, I was in the minority).  What you saw was history and if you thought for as long as I did that you may never get to see it, well then you appreciated it that much more.  I will pay any scalper any price to see them again at the Greek.  Nearly 2 dozen songs in about an hour.  I can't wait until they have the whole place to themselves and less people who aren't Pixies fans.  And fewer Radiohead fans would be nice too. 10+ years in hiatus and still one of the best and most influential bands of all time.

I'm not the biggest Radiohead fan, but I did enjoy the show.  And they played a lot of older Radiohead songs so the surprisingly had some rythyms and melodies.  But for anyone to tell me that they were better than one of their prime influences, well you missed something.

The big stages left me longing for the Clubs, especially for Death Cab, but I thought they sounded better then when I saw them early in the tour.  Sparta were good, but agian I preferred them at the Black Cat with Markie bouncing around.

The DJs were all pretty good I thought, but yes, Kraftwork tore it up.  They proved once again that they are the masters.

The crowd was civil, mostly because the music precipitated civil crowds.  There wasn't that one or two bands that would bring the HFS nonsense.

Everytime I say I'll never do it again, but i they keep bringing bands that I think I'll never see again out of the woodwork, then I shall keep returning.  

Here's to looking for The Smiths in 2005.  And I'll have to drag my sorry ass back out there.
27>34

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #137 on: May 04, 2004, 02:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
 Here's to looking for The Smiths in 2005.  And I'll have to drag my sorry ass back out there.
Now  THAT would get me on a plane to California!

Thanks to everyone for all the reviews.

Bags

« Reply #138 on: May 04, 2004, 03:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by Skeeter:

Now  THAT would get me on a plane to California!

Thanks to everyone for all the reviews. [/b]
Ditto
 Ditto

Smackie, I think I'm in your camp in terms of not being able to imagine I'd still enjoy a fest like this in temps over 100, but I may be selling myself short.  I still love Jazzfest in New Orleans, but I'm there for the vibe, not to see bands I love (and I avoid the big headliners, as the crowds for those are insane and it's just Cowboy Mouth/Buffet/Paul Simon/Dave Matthews).  Plus after a day at the fest we have good dinners at some of NO's finer restaurants and hang in air-conditioned bars.

But, I may need to look into this next year....there are decent hotels you can stay nearby, right?  And the parking lot situation sounds a lot like Nissan....    :p

« Reply #139 on: May 04, 2004, 03:40:00 pm »
How was your first NASCAR race?

Time for the old guy who only went to Saturday's show with the intention of seeing the Pixies really.

I'm way too old for this shit.  I'm shocked I even used to enjoy it. And it was way too hot.  Say what you want about a dry heat, but 100+ is 100+ no matter what.

I agree that the Pixies were fantastic (I thought they were better then Radiohead, but I'm in the mminority - I also knew all the words so again, I was in the minority).  What you saw was history and if you thought for as long as I did that you may never get to see it, well then you appreciated it that much more.  I will pay any scalper any price to see them again at the Greek.  Nearly 2 dozen songs in about an hour.  I can't wait until they have the whole place to themselves and less people who aren't Pixies fans.  And fewer Radiohead fans would be nice too. 10+ years in hiatus and still one of the best and most influential bands of all time.

I'm not the biggest Radiohead fan, but I did enjoy the show.  And they played a lot of older Radiohead songs so the surprisingly had some rythyms and melodies.  But for anyone to tell me that they were better than one of their prime influences, well you missed something.

The big stages left me longing for the Clubs, especially for Death Cab, but I thought they sounded better then when I saw them early in the tour.  Sparta were good, but agian I preferred them at the Black Cat with Markie bouncing around.

The DJs were all pretty good I thought, but yes, Kraftwork tore it up.  They proved once again that they are the masters.

The crowd was civil, mostly because the music precipitated civil crowds.  There wasn't that one or two bands that would bring the HFS nonsense.

Everytime I say I'll never do it again, but i they keep bringing bands that I think I'll never see again out of the woodwork, then I shall keep returning.  

sonickteam2

« Reply #140 on: May 04, 2004, 04:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by Macktastic Bag O' Flash:

But, I may need to look into this next year....there are decent hotels you can stay nearby, right?  And the parking lot situation sounds a lot like Nissan....     :p  
tons of hotels.  its a resort town, so you have your Motel 6's or your nice resort golf course hotels.  
    and the traffic situation was fine on Sunday night. whatever happened on Sat night was fixed quite happily.

bearman🐻

« Reply #141 on: May 04, 2004, 04:39:00 pm »
It didn't take us long at all to get out of the parking lot...I think the first night was a good 40 minutes, but the second night was half that. All things considered, it could have been much worse (like 3 hours).

jkeisenh

« Reply #142 on: May 04, 2004, 04:45:00 pm »
We camped on-site for a total cost of $25 per person for all three nights.

We also got a total of 7 hours of sleep.

But it was great-- no driving, and the party just didn't stop.

Originally posted by sonickteam2:

Originally posted by Macktastic Bag O' Flash:

But, I may need to look into this next year....there are decent hotels you can stay nearby, right?  And the parking lot situation sounds a lot like Nissan....      :p  
tons of hotels.  its a resort town, so you have your Motel 6's or your nice resort golf course hotels.  
    and the traffic situation was fine on Sunday night. whatever happened on Sat night was fixed quite happily. [/b]

sonickteam2

« Reply #143 on: May 04, 2004, 05:09:00 pm »
the funny thing on Sat night was that people could NOT find thier cars.  thier was no clear exit to the lot (field) so by the time we left at 12:10am, cars were in long lines to and end of the lot that had no exit. people just had thier cars off in line to leave!!! we just sat in the car til about 3am, drinking.  and finally at 3am the guys who drove the car parked next to us come running to the car and hug it.  poor kids looked or almost 4 hours for thier car, lol.  i really wish i had a camera in that lot.  there was a car facing every way possible!

vansmack

« Reply #144 on: May 04, 2004, 05:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sacktastic Bag O' Nuts:
  How was your first NASCAR race?

From what Smackette said, it had to be better then the Flaming Lips and The Cure.

The partying was outstanding, the set-up was very nice and I had a blast.  It was damn hot though.  I would spend about 20 laps on the roof of the motorhome and then about 20 minutes inside the motorhome watching it on TV.  I couldn't imagine being in the stands for the whole race.  I felt that Gordon was just teasing the field for most of the race, but there was a lot of passing and the atmosphere was fantastic.  I hoped that Jr. or Tony would have been a bit more competitive because I could only imagine what the crowd would have been like had there been much competition from another popular driver, but Labonte almost made it competitive.

All in all a good time and I would definetly go again, but just hope that it's not in triple digits on the thermometer.  I'm looking forward to nice, breezy Sears Point next month.
27>34

myuman

« Reply #145 on: May 04, 2004, 09:30:00 pm »
I have no past Coachella's to compare it to, but it was a nice weekend.  Skimming through the other posts leaves me with little to add.  Upfront: Radiohead is probably my favorite band and the wifey and I left after Iron Lung.  Thom's voice up to that point was horrific.  I picked the first five songs, so I didn't see much reason to remain to hear a set list almost exactly like I've heard twice in the past year.  Since we left early the exiting was a breeze, but I couldn't believe the number of cars in a place with few exits... I can only imagine what it must have been like to leave after RH or Kraftwerk.  Pixies were tremendous and Stellastar was my surprise highlight.  Rapture was amazing as well.  I'd do it again, but I'll never be young enough to make it two days in a row... Hit Sunset Blvd. and Venice beach on Sunday and kicked back.

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #146 on: May 04, 2004, 10:40:00 pm »
Well, I, too, had an incredible time at the fest. I've never been to a festival that was filled with such a positive energy. People were polite, friendly and genuinely excited about the music. I saw bands that can barely fill the 9:30 Club play superb sets to rapturous crowds of thousands. What a cool thing. How many festivals can you go to and see people wearing Spoon, The Fire Theft and Modest Mouse t-shirts? A great sense of community which was in full force during the Pixies set. And what a beautiful location!

As for the music...

Saturday:
 Dios - Quite frankly, I was bored. I wandered over to another tent after only a couple of songs.

The Evens - Low key and with some terrific Ian moments. His comment of the day "Fuck the volume. Just listen harder." was funny. Some songs were better than others.

Q and Not U - They tore it up!!  We had planned to only stay for a couple of songs (while recovering in the shade of the tent), but the set was so good that we stayed for it all. Huge energy on stage, crowd responded in kind. A highlight of the weekend, really. I had forgotten just how exciting they are.

Junior Senior - Hilarious and fun as always. Guest appearances by Fred of the B-52s and that annoying Har Mar Superstar (why in the hell is he still around??).

Death Cab -I only caught half the set while standing in line for food. Felt as if it was drowned out by the surroundings but still pleasant.

Black Keys -Wow were they good!  I wish I could have stayed for the whole set. I definitely want to see them again soon.

Sparta - Good but shakey before The Pixies. Better in a club, I think.

The Pixies - Incredible. I looked around and everyone was just grinning and hopping up and down. Amazing to hear the songs and realize that this band is just as exciting and relevant as when the albums first came out.

Radiohead - This band blows my mind every time I see them, so I loved their set. Nation Anthem was my favorite moment, I think.

Sunday:

Supernatural - Some great freestyle rap.

Pretty Girls Make Graves - Fine but didn't grab me as I thought they would.

!!! - Hilarious and with lots of energy. I will definitely try to see them again. If only to see the dancing on stage!  Profane and entertaining words from the lead singer.

Elefant - Arrived with swagger and entertained me as I thought they would. Not my favorite band in terms of the tunes, but I like their presence on stage.

Muse - I really wanted to love them but found my mind drifting during the set. Matt Bellamy is an incredible musician -esp. on the piano- but the songs started to sound similar.

The Cooper Temple Clause - This is one of my favorite bands so of course I loved their set. They had a lot of technical difficulties with Tom's syths and loops but they pulled it off despite those glitches. Ben was as ferocious as ever. And the others seemed especially full on, too.

Bright Eyes - They opened with my favorite Bright Eyes song. I don't think it was their best show, but I still enjoyed it. The last song was beautiful.

BRMC - Those poor guys. Major technical difficulties.  Talk about making the best of the situation. The frustrating thing was that when they were able to play an entire song, it sounded incredible. But I think they were only able to play 3 full songs. The rest were acoustic (a treat!) or partial.

The Flaming Lips -I'd never seen them before and walked up just when it started with Wayne in the plastic bubble. I thought it was funny but the songs still don't grab me. What a spectacle, though.

The Cure - Great to finally see them. We were only able to stay for half the set before having to speed back to LA. But I enjoyed that half.

And yes, it was horribly hot. I had one point on each day where I thought, "Oh god. I'm not sure I can take this heat." Then right after that, I went into one of the tents and recovered. But I drank a total of 17 bottles of water/Gatorade/fruit smoothies over the course of the weekend.

My star sightings...  Maura Tierney - Abby on ER; Amber Tamblin -Joan from Joan of Arcadia; Jeff Balis -the producer on Project Greenlight.  And biggest of all!  Owen Wilson was on my plane flying home!!  Ah, I love him. He was so nice and signed some autographs for kids.

Random Citizen

« Reply #147 on: May 04, 2004, 11:02:00 pm »
Walked out of that set after a couple of songs...so boring. The best part was Flea playing trumpet for all of 10 seconds.

Originally posted by kurosawa-b/w:

The Evens - Low key and with some terrific Ian moments. His comment of the day "Fuck the volume. Just listen harder." was funny. Some songs were better than others.

« Reply #148 on: May 05, 2004, 08:46:00 am »
Are these people stars? Other than Owen Wilson, I have never heard of any of them. You sure have a good eye.

My star sightings...  Maura Tierney - Abby on ER; Amber Tamblin -Joan from Joan of Arcadia; Jeff Balis -the producer on Project Greenlight.  And biggest of all!  Owen Wilson was on my plane flying home!!  Ah, I love him. He was so nice and signed some autographs for kids. [/QB]

« Reply #149 on: May 05, 2004, 08:59:00 am »
Where were Paris Hilton & Ashley Olson?