Author Topic: On the Eve of the new Season...  (Read 1367597 times)

atomic

Re: On the Eve of the new Season...
« Reply #4050 on: June 20, 2014, 01:40:01 pm »
I feel like the entire board is watching World Cup games as they have cushy government jobs while I am stuck in the office.

Yada

« Reply #4051 on: June 20, 2014, 02:12:54 pm »
I feel like the entire board is watching World Cup games as they have cushy government jobs while I am stuck in the office.

Assuming your job has the luxury of high speed internet, i'd recommend tuning into ESPN3

betao

« Reply #4052 on: June 20, 2014, 02:32:33 pm »
anyone have a direct link to the live stream of the games? I've tried ESPN but don't have the login info for the service providers they ask for.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4053 on: June 20, 2014, 02:44:16 pm »
Not at all. I would stare at the wall in my office blankly for two hours before I'd watch the glorified kick-the-can that is soccer.
LVMH

« Reply #4054 on: June 20, 2014, 05:16:27 pm »
anyone have a direct link to the live stream of the games? I've tried ESPN but don't have the login info for the service providers they ask for.

Univision baby
GOOOOOOOOL is about all I understand
slack

Yada

« Reply #4055 on: June 22, 2014, 07:56:51 pm »
Shit.

hutch

« Reply #4056 on: June 22, 2014, 08:21:35 pm »
Shit.

I still like our chances to advance... you have to if you look at the group standings

but that was sickening to watch.... Bradley's giveaway cost us the game... He doesn't look good at all at this Cup... I'm really surprised...

not sure about the 5 minutes added on... do they add on extra time because of the break for excessive heat?

atomic

« Reply #4057 on: June 22, 2014, 08:48:40 pm »
Shit.

I still like our chances to advance... you have to if you look at the group standings

but that was sickening to watch.... Bradley's giveaway cost us the game... He doesn't look good at all at this Cup... I'm really surprised...

not sure about the 5 minutes added on... do they add on extra time because of the break for excessive heat?

It is for all the time for players laying on the ground pretending to be injured.  Anyway all the US has to do is not to get beat too badly by Germany and they will advance.  They have a five goal differential up on Portugal. 

hutch

« Reply #4058 on: June 22, 2014, 10:24:27 pm »
Shit.

It is for all the time for players laying on the ground pretending to be injured.  Anyway all the US has to do is not to get beat too badly by Germany and they will advance.  They have a five goal differential up on Portugal. 

you sure seem to watch a lot of games, and know quite a bit, for someone who hates it so! :)

I liked Zuzi today.....

oh and they only have a +2 differential on Ghana so.....

atomic

« Reply #4059 on: June 22, 2014, 11:50:28 pm »
Shit.

you sure seem to watch a lot of games, and know quite a bit, for someone who hates it so! :)

I liked Zuzi today.....

oh and they only have a +2 differential on Ghana so.....

I thought since they beat Ghana they would advance if tied.  I guess I am wrong.  The way they run the first round makes no sense at all.  But whatever. 

Soccer is fine every four years like Figure Skating, Swimming or Track and Field. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 11:54:51 pm by atomic »

betao

« Reply #4060 on: June 23, 2014, 08:46:58 am »
It's not confusing. It's mainly at this point based on goal differential. From ESPN, here's the breakdown on what needs to happen for the US to advance:

Simplest Scenarios

- Germany: Advance with win/draw vs. USA
- United States: Advance with win/draw vs. GER
- Portugal: Advance with win vs. GHA and GER/USA do not tie, IF POR wins tiebreak with loser (see below)
- Ghana: Advance with win vs. POR and GER/USA do not tie, IF GHA wins tiebreak with loser (see below)

U.S. Scenarios

- Win/draw vs. Germany
- Loss and Portugal-Ghana draw
- Loss and win tiebreaker vs. Portugal-Ghana winner

Tiebreakers

If the United States loses, Ghana would qualify instead if either game is decided by a margin of two goals or more. If the U.S. loses by one goal, Ghana would need to win by two goals or be involved in a higher-scoring one-goal win. For instance, a 1-0 scoreline in both games would put the United States through on head-to-head. So, if the U.S. loses 1-0, then Ghana must win 2-1 to qualify on goals scored.

To surpass the U.S., Portugal will need a goal-difference swing of five (head-to-head is level). So for instance, Portugal would need to win 3-0 and U.S. lose 2-0, among other equivalent scorelines. The teams will draw lots if goal difference is identical (this would happen with a 3-0 U.S. defeat and a 2-0 Portugal win, for example).

atomic

« Reply #4061 on: June 23, 2014, 10:01:40 am »
What kind of sport draws lots to see who advances?  First off they shouldn't have these stupid ties.  Play until someone wins.  You have this once every four years can't you do it right?  If there was an absolute tie they could have a day between group stages and knock out round where the teams could play a game to decide who advances.  No wonder Americans don't like soccer.  Ties? Unamerican.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4062 on: June 23, 2014, 10:04:03 am »
So, if the US loses to Germany by multiple goals, its likely they're out of the tournament and people will stop pretending like they give a shit about this glorified version of kick the can for another four years, right? Viva Germany.
LVMH

atomic

« Reply #4063 on: June 23, 2014, 11:16:56 am »
So, if the US loses to Germany by multiple goals, its likely they're out of the tournament and people will stop pretending like they give a shit about this glorified version of kick the can for another four years, right? Viva Germany.

Deutchland Uber Alles

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #4064 on: June 23, 2014, 11:20:42 am »

Deutchland Uber Alles

these guys, agree, with you