Author Topic: On the Eve of the new Season...  (Read 1367627 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: On the Eve of the new Season...
« Reply #4200 on: July 02, 2014, 04:41:28 pm »
i like the sentiment here, but seems like a bit much, no?

USA Won the Hearts and Minds of Planet Football at the World Cup This Summer
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2116939-usa-won-the-hearts-and-mind-of-planet-football-at-the-world-cup-this-summer

WARNING: the following is satire.

Americans 'must be kept away from football'
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/americans-must-be-kept-away-from-football-2014070288187
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #4201 on: July 02, 2014, 04:46:04 pm »
I can tell you people in Argentina noticed the USA team....Fabian Johnson was picked to the top 11 team after the group stage by a sportswriter for Argentina's most widely read newspaper...

the US team is now without a doubt consistently amongst the 16 best in the World... .. and we're only going to get better..

« Reply #4202 on: July 02, 2014, 04:51:41 pm »
new rankings

Wow, not so kind treatment of Argentina.
They rank them 10th, even though there are only 8 teams left
slack

hutch

« Reply #4203 on: July 02, 2014, 05:02:45 pm »
new rankings

don't get me started

What do you want me to say? I'm on record saying Argentina has no chance to do anything this World Cup....the coach turned out to be an imbecile and on top of that we don't have enough quality  players....

but one always dreams and anything can happen.... ;D ;D ;D ;D
at least Messi showed up this time...

although that ranking is a bit bogus I must say...

the reality is no team has really shown all that much so its unclear what will happen with Brazil, as badly as they have played, remaining the favorite...

vansmack

« Reply #4204 on: July 02, 2014, 05:32:33 pm »
new rankings

Who have they played?

Bosnia (won 2-1 with an own goal)
Iran (1-0)
Nigeria (3-2)
Switzerland (1-0 in extra time)

The two teams ahead of them that are eliminated:

Mexico (tied Brazil, lost to Holland in auspicious circumstances) and Chile (lost to Holland with a weakened side and missed beating Bazil by a couple inches, only to lose in PK's) both deserve to be ranked ahead of them.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 05:36:40 pm by vansmack »
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #4205 on: July 02, 2014, 05:35:51 pm »
i like the sentiment here, but seems like a bit much, no?

I read the same articles in 1994, albeit not on the internet, and in 2002...

And I think progress has been made, but yes, it's a bit much.  It was interesting to hear that US had the largest following in Brazil outside of the hosts.

BTW - the satire was great.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #4206 on: July 02, 2014, 06:17:26 pm »
new rankings

Who have they played?

Bosnia (won 2-1 with an own goal)
Iran (1-0)
Nigeria (3-2)
Switzerland (1-0 in extra time)

The two teams ahead of them that are eliminated:

Mexico (tied Brazil, lost to Holland in auspicious circumstances) and Chile (lost to Holland with a weakened side and missed beating Bazil by a couple inches, only to lose in PK's) both deserve to be ranked ahead of them.

I find this line of reasoning ludicrous.... nobody knows how other teams would have done with Bosnia, Iran or Nigeria..we do know that Costa Rica, ranked 4, had a tough time disposing of Nigeria (went to PKs) so maybe Nigeria was not that terrible? :) Just like, regardless of previous rankings and thoughts Costa Rica came out first in a group including Italy, England and Uruguay... you have to play the games and see what happens.. you can't hypothesize based on what you "think" makes sense..

To me the ultimate decider is how many games you win and whether you're still in it... .you dont' have to sparkle or play attractive soccer..you just have to win against whoever you have to play...

Mexico??? Pfffffffff.. .they always play tough but have a loser mentality..... Argentina maybe too..the difference is Mexico always loses at the Round of 16 and we lose in the quarters..

I am the last person to argue Argentina has a good team for this WC but we are in the quarters and that makes us one of the best 8..in addition we have the best player in the world.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #4207 on: July 03, 2014, 02:07:06 pm »

shemptiness

« Reply #4208 on: July 03, 2014, 04:06:04 pm »
?They were set up in a way that was opposite from what they?ve been the past couple years, which is opening up, passing, attacking ? trying to do that. And the team?s been successful that way. Why they decided to switch that in the World Cup, none of us will know. From a playing standpoint, I think the guys will probably be disappointed in the way things went.?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/soccer-insider/wp/2014/07/03/landon-donovan-takes-a-shot-at-jurgen-klinsmann-i-dont-think-we-were-set-up-to-succeed-at-world-cup/?tid=pm_pop

hutch

« Reply #4209 on: July 03, 2014, 05:12:22 pm »
?They were set up in a way that was opposite from what they?ve been the past couple years, which is opening up, passing, attacking ? trying to do that. And the team?s been successful that way. Why they decided to switch that in the World Cup, none of us will know. From a playing standpoint, I think the guys will probably be disappointed in the way things went.?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/soccer-insider/wp/2014/07/03/landon-donovan-takes-a-shot-at-jurgen-klinsmann-i-dont-think-we-were-set-up-to-succeed-at-world-cup/?tid=pm_pop

I read the whole thing earlier today..

First of all, on ESPN right after the game Donovan did not say any of this...

However, I completely agree with him....

Jurgen is so full of shit... all that talk about the attacking soccer?? where was that? The only times we attacked IN EVERY SINGLE GAME was when we went down (except for the early Dempsey goal)

He completely gave up the midfield against Belgium and we saw how well it worked...he took out Beckerman the only guy that could give the team any sort of pause in the midfield and hold on to the ball... that was completely nuts.

And I'm sorry, some of those guys on the team there is no way they were more helpful than Donovan..

Its funny because in any other soccer loving country the loss would be analyzed frontwards and backwards and here its all "Juergen is so great and everything he did worked and isn't it great we have him another four years... we lost but we have our pride"

Against Belgium.. they're killing us for 90 minutes ... we have no midfield..does he make any change to improve things? NO. I mean who didn't see Belgium scoring..how many saves did he expect Howard to make? 34? Meanwhile one of the world's best coaches Van Gaal against Mexico changed his tactical approach three times until it worked.

I have no doubt Loew was the strategist for Germany in 2006 and that Juergen just doesn't really understand that facet of the game.. for him its all about the players chasing the ball 90 minutes and being fully fit....Bradley ran 22 miles ..hey he's great!... well it doesn't quite work that way.... sometimes you let the ball do the running for you...

of course after the game Juergen says we were unlucky and Howard "did his job".... great stuff.

vansmack

« Reply #4210 on: July 03, 2014, 06:50:23 pm »
...he took out Beckerman

This still puzzles me.  And I don't think the substitution for Fabian affected it.  I hope to hear more about that decision soon.

Meanwhile one of the world's best coaches Van Gaal against Mexico changed his tactical approach three times until it worked.

And I just wanted to correct that.

27>34

hutch

« Reply #4211 on: July 04, 2014, 10:57:47 pm »
fuckin' spain ref..i am so pissed off..

betao

« Reply #4212 on: July 05, 2014, 12:56:21 am »
Neymar (Brazil) is out for the rest of the tournament thanks to that knee-hit to the back today against Colombia. That looked pretty rough indeed.

vansmack

« Reply #4213 on: July 05, 2014, 12:09:23 pm »
fuckin' spain ref..i am so pissed off..

He's really the cause of Neymar's injury.  A few caution's, especially off the ball fouls, and Zuniga's tackle doesn't happen.

What should have been a game about the talents of James and Neymar, saw them lying on the pitch for most of the match unprotected.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #4214 on: July 05, 2014, 01:53:51 pm »
Congrats Hutch!  Now you deserve to be in the top 10.
27>34