Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1900706 times)

vansmack

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #4170 on: September 16, 2016, 02:08:48 pm »
Oh yeah...your in SF and need a Fire going in mid September

Yes, it was quite foggy and cozy last night.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #4171 on: September 17, 2016, 04:22:06 am »
If you didn't just see Kacey Musgraves, drink some fancy beer (Pliny the Something) and then listen to Loretta Lynn's new album over a glass of red and the High Life, well then, you should try harder.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #4172 on: September 17, 2016, 11:13:07 am »
I'm not sure which was my favorite order of the night.

1) My adamant refusal to drink a Pliny at Toranado

Or

2) Hoya's adamant refusal to drink a High Life at my place and having a glass of red wine instead.

Probably the latter.
27>34

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #4173 on: September 17, 2016, 08:57:11 pm »
Here's something nobody seems to be getting right about the lightning to 3.5mm adapter. According to the Apple store clerk who rang me up, lightning has always output analog audio. I bought one of the $9 thingies because I was very curious. A lot of people have speculated that it somehow contained a DAC since they assumed that lightning only output digital and it needed to be converted to analog for standard phones. Just look at this thing:

On my screen, that's its actual size. There's no freaking way it could contain a DAC. Besides, it would also need an amp, which would be even bigger. I used the thingie to connect my old world phones to my iPhone 6. Straight up analog audio.
😐 🎶

vansmack

« Reply #4174 on: September 21, 2016, 01:17:08 pm »
Here's something nobody seems to be getting right about the lightning to 3.5mm adapter. According to the Apple store clerk who rang me up, lightning has always output analog audio. I bought one of the $9 thingies because I was very curious. A lot of people have speculated that it somehow contained a DAC since they assumed that lightning only output digital and it needed to be converted to analog for standard phones. Just look at this thing:

On my screen, that's its actual size. There's no freaking way it could contain a DAC. Besides, it would also need an amp, which would be even bigger. I used the thingie to connect my old world phones to my iPhone 6. Straight up analog audio.

Sorry, I missed this.  No, it does not, but it can power a DAC for Digital Audio.

Smackie was on the Micro USB powered DAC train up until April when my newest phone (LG G5) switched to USB-C and I haven't yet received my pair of USB-C powered headphones.

If you go iPhone 7, you don't want to use the dongle.  You want go this route: 

http://www.zorloo.com/aero   
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #4175 on: September 21, 2016, 01:20:07 pm »
But what I really came here for:

Apple is in talks with McLaren for a potential Acquisition

McLaren!?
27>34

shemptiness

vansmack

27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4178 on: September 22, 2016, 10:50:18 am »
I'm not sure if anybody is still using laptops or desktops to listen to music, but if you are Zoorloo just released an affordable USB Audio Class 2 compatible DAC that supports up to 192kHz and 24-bit high resolution audio. If you've got a decent set of headphones, this things a must:

24-bit/192 kHz ]Review

ZuperDAC

I've been recommending their MicroUSB Z:ero in-ear buds to any Android user who will listen.  This will open it up to everyone.

192/24 music files are at best a waste, and at worse of lower fidelity than 44.1/16.

24/192 Music Downloads ...and why they make no sense

maybe i'm an audio nerd, but i found this to be a fascinating read.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #4179 on: September 22, 2016, 02:34:35 pm »
I don't yet have time to read it all yet, but I did find it funny that they have updated it 4 times but haven't yet removed the issue of "space" as that is no longer an issue for devices in the modern world.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4180 on: September 22, 2016, 03:24:45 pm »
haven't yet removed the issue of "space" as that is no longer an issue for devices in the modern world.

i agree that storage is cheap, but not free.  my music file collection is huge, i wouldn't want it to take up 6X the space it currently does.  i'm sure i'm not the only one who does not have such free storage capacity.  not everyone is sitting on a NAS.

adding a few teras would cost me $60+ plus a few hours of my time for an internal drive, or deal with an external multi-terabyte drive ($50 for low performance, $100+ for something decent)... but why would i want to either of those things when there is no benefit? (if not a disadvantage)...
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4181 on: September 30, 2016, 02:42:55 pm »
I found this article to be a fantastic read. As my default "sports fan who is also a lawyer," I think you will enjoy it as well.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #4182 on: October 06, 2016, 02:07:59 pm »
I found this article to be a fantastic read. As my default "sports fan who is also a lawyer," I think you will enjoy it as well.

Sorry - I missed this.  I can't beleive they wrote that entire article without mentioning Master P, the "archtiect" of that deal.  I've had the pleasure of talking to Leigh Steinberg about this deal and he said something along the lines of it being the worst deal ever made.  Even worse than the Ditka trade that broughr Ricky to New Orleans.  (this conversation was before the Redskins-Rams trade, which I think was worse). 

Also, how underated was Tiki Barber? 
27>34

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4183 on: October 06, 2016, 02:17:05 pm »
Also, how underated was Tiki Barber? 
He will never get his due because everyone who has ever met him -- or even heard him speak on TV -- hates his guts. He's seems thoroughly unlikable.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #4184 on: October 06, 2016, 08:58:10 pm »
I just figured it out. Sturgill is the White Director.

Who of your contemporaries inspires you?
Fearless hip-hoppers like Kendrick Lamar, Run the Jewels and Chance. I thought D'Angelo's record was criminally underrated. I'd like to spend a month at Frank Ocean's house.

http://www.rollingstone.com/country/features/the-fighting-side-of-sturgill-simpson-w443513

27>34