Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1313673 times)

i am gay and i like cats

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #1245 on: April 10, 2015, 11:31:56 am »
did someone say, holes?

three to four hour shows, or I, don't go.

Yada

« Reply #1246 on: April 10, 2015, 11:37:54 am »
did someone say, holes?

three to four hour shows, or I, don't go.

walky, have you been to a show since your 2014 embargo?

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1247 on: April 10, 2015, 11:43:55 am »
uhmmm . . . why no, I have not.  good lord, I had forgotten about that.  widespread week of Richmond / DC / Baltimore, will be  my first.

« Reply #1248 on: April 13, 2015, 01:21:20 pm »
JSBX didn't disappoint
Russell Simmons even sung a song!
Guess my only gripe was it was only about 65 min set
played tons of song teases (bellbottoms...why don't just play the whole F'n thing!)
Blues X Man, Afro, soul typecast and Flavor were great
High Gear and maybe Wail were teases
New songs sounded sharp: Do the get down, Wax dummy, Betty vs NYPD, Tales of Old New York
I think there were two covers...but I didn't know either of them (apparently his fans don't use Setlist.fm)
The thermin didn't really get that much action either

Not that well attended (slightly more than Diarrhea Planet) , but it appeared that 50% of the crowd spent over $50 at the merch table
Of course Jon was on hand to sign stuff after the show

also on an related tangent...I never knew this
While we're on collaborations, tell me about working with Elliott Smith for Plastic Fang. How did that happen.

Well, (laughs) for a while there, Elliott was just kind of, hanging out.  He seemed to always just magically be around. And it just happened to be at a time we needed some melodic backing vocals, so Elliott came by one day to record his parts, and did a few songs with us, and one that we recorded was a version of The Beatles "Yer Blues," with Elliott singing and playing bass, which, if you're familiar with that song -- is a pretty heavy song.  Shortly after that, Elliott passed away, so now we have this tape that we'll never release because the song took on this whole new weird light, but it's this great version from this deeply troubled, but remarkable musician.

So, he's on a lot of stuff from the New York City sessions, and then we went to LA and spent three days in his studio, which had an incredible collection of gear. He invited us to just come jam, and work with him, and he was sorta...courting us, and he was like "I want to make a record with you guys, and I want you to be my band" and we were up for that, so we would arrive at the studio and we would just kinda sit around outside the studio and wait for him for long periods of time, so it wasn't a very productive trip...but he was a sweet guy and just an incredible musician, but just dealing with a lot of problems.
slack

« Reply #1249 on: April 13, 2015, 01:24:06 pm »
^found it

eyewitness: "elliott joined them (jsbx) for their first and only encore, doing bass on a couple blooz vamps that I didn't recognize.....after that..."yer blues." i liked that elliott sang back up vocals, including the part where lennon sings away from the mic (ie, elliott reproduced this admirably by singing to the floor of the stage...did anyone else notice that?).

---one last tangent
JSBX recorded on KEXP
only doing new songs

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, The
3/12/2015
In-Studio Performance

One of the greatest and most bombastic indie freakout-blues bands on this planet, The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion performs songs from their 2015 album ?Freedom Tower: No Wave Dance Party 2015? live on KEXP from The Cutting Room Studios in New York. -

Full Performance
 Betty Vs The NYPD
 Do The Get Down
 Funeral
 Tales of Old New York: The Rock Box
 Wax Dummy
 White Jesus

« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 01:28:28 pm by Sidehatch »
slack

bearman🐻

« Reply #1250 on: April 13, 2015, 01:33:09 pm »

Relaxer

« Reply #1251 on: April 13, 2015, 03:41:32 pm »
JSBX did a bunch of teases at the USMH show last year too. Kinda disappointing but overall a great show. In fact, it sounds exactly like this recent show.
oword

azaghal1981

« Reply #1252 on: April 14, 2015, 12:20:16 pm »
Strange that the Diarrhea Planet show sounds like it was short. They played forever with multiple encores the one time I caught them. Late 2012 at Casa Fiesta I think.

I've said it many times on here before but less is more w/r/t  97.2351963% of live bands.
احمد

« Reply #1253 on: April 14, 2015, 12:29:09 pm »
^so there is some truth of the quality over quanity
Just feel like if you are going to pay $15-20 for a headliner....65 min set with a 20 min encore should be the bare minimum

Opening acts play 45 min sets

Only people who get a pass is groups touring on their first album
and doing a bunch of covers at the end for an encore get's old
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 12:36:00 pm by Sidehatch »
slack

ggw

« Reply #1254 on: April 14, 2015, 12:32:21 pm »
Jay Reatard rarely broke thirty minutes and it was always worth every cent.

hutch

« Reply #1255 on: April 14, 2015, 12:51:37 pm »
The kicker is I only caught 38 minutes of JSBX....I guess I got what I deserved...

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1256 on: April 14, 2015, 01:15:39 pm »
Jay Reatard rarely broke thirty minutes and it was always worth every cent.
His life rarely broke thirty years so. . .
LVMH

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1257 on: April 14, 2015, 01:15:53 pm »
His life rarely broke thirty years so. . .
Too soon?
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1258 on: April 14, 2015, 01:51:53 pm »
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #1259 on: April 14, 2015, 10:22:20 pm »
Relaxer nailed it. I'd much rather be left wanting more than be standing there thinking that it's time to wrap it up. And the amount you pay doesn't entitle you to a minimum amount of time an artist is supposed to entertain you. Maybe they are contractually bound to play a certain amount of time in bigger venues but last I checked, we don't have a say in those matters.
احمد