Author Topic: SSPU @ DAR roll-call  (Read 3927 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
SSPU @ DAR roll-call
« on: June 23, 2010, 01:05:20 pm »
i'm going for 3-of-3 tonight... anyone else in for the show?  i've seen the pickups 3 or 4 times now but never got a full headlining set.  looking forward to this.

tickets available via TM and generally floating about for this show.  crazy that i can get better and cheaper tix now than i could during the presale & onsale.
<sig>

Vas Deferens

Re: SSPU @ DAR roll-call
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 01:08:10 pm »
i wanna see Against Me! then bail... ;)
(_|_)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 01:17:32 pm »
lol, typical ;-)
<sig>

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 01:18:20 pm »
oh it doesn't happen often, sweetcell!!

lol, typical ;-)
(_|_)

Relaxer

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 04:20:15 pm »
I agree with Joe. Something about SSPU just kinda pisses me off, including the fact that they're playing DAR. But I like Against Me and would enjoy a set of their tunes.
oword

Vas Deferens

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 04:27:35 pm »
I bet sweetcell would just show up for the headliner - TYPICAL!  ::)
(_|_)

Relaxer

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 04:37:34 pm »
Yeah, and he'll be all "oh hey guys, I wore my favorite Silversun Pickups shirt, because I'm here to see the Silversun Pickups and I want to support their endeavors and shit."
oword

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 05:05:42 pm »
actually, i'll show up in my Against Me! t-shirt... just in time for SSPU.  best of both worlds.
<sig>

wml7

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 05:07:05 pm »
I'll be there with my Henry Clay shirt  ;D

Vas Deferens

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 05:13:59 pm »
seee,  you don't give a shit about the openers!!!!

actually, i'll show up in my Against Me! t-shirt... just in time for SSPU.  best of both worlds.
(_|_)

lilIverson09

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 01:44:21 am »
twas an excellent show.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 10:46:22 am »
Henry Clay is just awesome. Was so sad to miss them here, hoping theyll do their own show. Was tempted to see them open for SSPU, but that didnt happen.

I'll be there with my Henry Clay shirt  ;D
HeyLa

blipvurt

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 01:11:17 pm »
SSPU at DAR review:

http://www.welovedc.com/2010/06/28/we-love-music-silversun-pickups-dar-constitution-hall-62310/

Enjoy!

(PS - Missed Henry Clay People and only caught a few songs of Against Me! due to a power outage at home that I was dealing with earlier that evening)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 02:40:53 pm »
got there in time for against me who put on a fun and energetic set.  it was only my second time seeing them but these guys have proven themselves to be solid performers.

i really like SSPU's albums, and i really like how they sound live.  thus, it should come as little surprise that i really liked last wednesday's show.  they didn't diverge much from the script, but that's fine with me.  DAR sounded good yet again.  the mix itself was a little off: synths too high, bass & nicky's vocals too low.

the only thing about the show that left me scratching my head was the humility vs ego thing.  as mentioned in the WLDC article, the band seemed genuinely grateful that so many people came out to see them.  at times this kind of humility can come across as very contrived, but brian & co seemed sincere.  so on the one hand they were a band finally achieving some degree of success but were still all "aww shucks".  but on the other hand, a few of their on-stage antics gave the appearance of an indulgent band acting bigger than their britches.  worse offender, for me, was the excruciatingly long gap between the main set and the encore.  they really expected us to cheer for them THAT long?  sheesh. 

i had the opportunity to meet the band after the show, and their off-stage behavior was definitely full of genuine humility.  they're really nice people, down to earth, blah blah blah. 
<sig>