Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2121952 times)

Hexenjagd

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #3075 on: April 28, 2014, 11:32:34 am »
BOFC - the Art of Pop
http://bofc.bandcamp.com/album/the-art-of-pop

A new full length by Rose Garcia (SPC ECO) and Dean Garcia (SPC ECO/Curve) that is more electronic, less shoegaze than SPC ECO...

Hexenjagd

« Reply #3076 on: April 28, 2014, 12:48:43 pm »
Sleeping Bear - Sleeping Bear
http://sbear.bandcamp.com/
Ukrainian Post-rock release from earlier this month

hutch

« Reply #3077 on: April 28, 2014, 04:08:01 pm »
a lot of Willie Nelson...

I dont' think anyone has released as many quality albums in the past 20 or so years.....I mean we could be talking 25 to 35 albums at least

I picked up the collaboration with Wynton Marsalis and its a keeper...a stunning keeper....then I was looking in my basement and found something called "Me and the Drummer" on some obscure label and its also great.... The man simply doesn't know how to make a bad album

People always, including myself, always talk bout Dylan and Cash's revival in the 1990s but Nelson's track record I think is far stronger... he consistently averages 1-2 albums a year and collaborates with just about anyone often with really good results.. There's the album produced by Ryan Adams and with Adams and his band.. there's the reggae record which is a lot of fun... just doesn't seem to matter what he does ..its all worthwhile.... the album featuring all songs associated with Cindy Walker is also great...

Relaxer

« Reply #3078 on: April 28, 2014, 04:18:24 pm »
Hey Hutch, I'd like to get a solid Willie album, can you give a recommendation? I have 'Red-Headed Stranger' but it's so minimalist and mellow that it does nothing for me. Does he have any more uptempo albums?

oword

hutch

« Reply #3079 on: April 28, 2014, 04:36:46 pm »
Hey Hutch, I'd like to get a solid Willie album, can you give a recommendation? I have 'Red-Headed Stranger' but it's so minimalist and mellow that it does nothing for me. Does he have any more uptempo albums?

well that is an intersting question...yes he does.... i also get a bit bored with the red-headed stranger as beloved as it is by the critics

I would have to recommend Shotgun Willie

barring that, and if you're not opposed to live albums, I recommend Willie and the Family Live (its a double cd)

for a newer release I was very impressed with the You Don't Know Me: The Songs of Cindy Walker (2006 release)

An album like Stardust is a bit slow and jazzy.. I wouldn't recommend it in your case although its epic stuff....

the thing about Willie is that he's such a great singer (his phrasing can at times be Billie Holiday-like...behind the beat... just the right emphasis on each word), great songwriter and guitarist....

I'm thinking I have to see him again and its been less than a year...

Relaxer

« Reply #3080 on: April 28, 2014, 04:56:24 pm »
I will likely grab that live album. Love live albums. Thanks a bunch, that was good reading.
oword

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3081 on: April 28, 2014, 09:07:57 pm »
or you could just smoke a bunch of pot until you think you are listening to willie nelson.

atomic

« Reply #3082 on: April 28, 2014, 09:29:43 pm »
 Love classic county but could never get into Willie Nelson. 

stevewizzle

Hexenjagd

« Reply #3084 on: April 29, 2014, 11:30:13 am »

dyecraig

« Reply #3085 on: April 29, 2014, 12:02:29 pm »
for Hexenjagd...

w/extended versions and unreleased songs
cannot deny the purity of vocal tone, breathe control and overall musicality of the singers 
the instrumental arrangements are complex and performed with amazing technique and precision. 

K8teebug

« Reply #3086 on: April 29, 2014, 01:35:52 pm »

well that is an intersting question...yes he does.... i also get a bit bored with the red-headed stranger as beloved as it is by the critics

I would have to recommend Shotgun Willie

barring that, and if you're not opposed to live albums, I recommend Willie and the Family Live (its a double cd)

for a newer release I was very impressed with the You Don't Know Me: The Songs of Cindy Walker (2006 release)

An album like Stardust is a bit slow and jazzy.. I wouldn't recommend it in your case although its epic stuff....

the thing about Willie is that he's such a great singer (his phrasing can at times be Billie Holiday-like...behind the beat... just the right emphasis on each word), great songwriter and guitarist....

I'm thinking I have to see him again and its been less than a year...

We listen to alot of Willie Nelson and I would recommend Shotgun Willie as well.  I love Stardust too. 

And I'm partial to the live version of Whiskey River.

I want to go to the June show, we'll see if it's a nice night.

Hexenjagd

« Reply #3087 on: April 29, 2014, 02:15:10 pm »
for Hexenjagd...
bait? I'll bite if you really want me to.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3088 on: April 29, 2014, 04:10:51 pm »
The Starfolk - Star Folks
T.Rex

dyecraig

« Reply #3089 on: April 29, 2014, 04:18:10 pm »
for Hexenjagd...
bait? I'll bite if you really want me to.
just kidding, man  ;)