Author Topic: Son Volt  (Read 1597 times)

alex

Son Volt
« on: September 08, 2005, 01:42:00 pm »
Who got tickets this morning?

SMNajda

Re: Son Volt
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 01:49:00 pm »
I did and I can't wait.

alex

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 02:20:00 pm »
Are they big these days?  I kind of expected this to sell out within a few minutes for some reason.

Someone told me they saw the show out in Portland this week and the set was heavy with songs from Trace.  That kind of excites me.

ratioci nation

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 02:21:00 pm »
why would it sell out? farrar didnt sell out, and this is basically the same thing

SMNajda

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 02:28:00 pm »
I expected it to sell out too, since they haven't toured together in a while.  Looks like I was wrong.  Oh well, more room at the bar for me!

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 02:29:00 pm »
Was his setist heavy on Son Volt tunes when he was touring under the solo moniker?

Originally posted by p011@rd:
  why would it sell out? farrar didnt sell out, and this is basically the same thing

ratioci nation

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 03:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by Yutaka Fukufuji, Japanese Goalie:
  Was his setist heavy on Son Volt tunes when he was touring under the solo moniker?

from what I remember, it was heavy on whatever solo album he was touring for, and a sprinkling of everything else he had ever done

I remember a birchmere show where he seemed to play several son volt songs and a couple of uncle tupelo songs

if I am not mistaken, he is the only original member in the band, so it is hardly Son Volt all touring again

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 03:52:00 pm »
Son Volt had a big modern rock radio hit ten years ago, the artist known as Jay Farrar did not. Thus, Son Volt is automatically a bigger draw than Jay Farrar.

Do people actually care who is in the band? CCR is touring without John Fogerty, and charging $75 a ticket.

Also, 9:30 Club is probably more likely to get more of the casual concert goer crowd, and the "It's Friday night, let's go to a concert crowd."

from what I remember, it was heavy on whatever solo album he was touring for, and a sprinkling of everything else he had ever done

I remember a birchmere show where he seemed to play several son volt songs and a couple of uncle tupelo songs

if I am not mistaken, he is the only original member in the band, so it is hardly Son Volt all touring again [/b]

ratioci nation

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 04:14:00 pm »
  Son Volt had a big modern rock radio hit ten years ago
was Drown a hit? it is by far the worst song on that album

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 04:21:00 pm »
I remember hearing Drown all the time on 98 Rock in my gym when I was living in Baltimore...you're right, that song was the weak link on Trace, though it had the hooks the masses loved...

I also remember reading that Trace sold about three times as many copies as Wilco's first album. Probably more than Wilco's first two albums combined.

was Drown a hit? it is by far the worst song on that album [/b]

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 04:39:00 pm »
Fruit Bats are listed as the opener on pollstar.

ratioci nation

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 04:55:00 pm »
  Fruit Bats are listed as the opener on pollstar.
I guess I will have to go then, odd pairing, I havent heard the new fruit bats album though, so maybe its not.

Chip Chanko

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2005, 12:07:00 am »
Yeah...i came down on the Farrar side back then and didn't give wilco a chance till i saw them live on the being there tour. they started playing on the stage (this was in a weird spaceship earth half dome thing from the 70's with seating that wasn't GA) then all got off the stage and had everyone come and stand around them while they played.

I remember hearing Drown all the time on 98 Rock in my gym when I was living in Baltimore...you're right, that song was the weak link on Trace, though it had the hooks the masses loved...

I also remember reading that Trace sold about three times as many copies as Wilco's first album. Probably more than Wilco's first two albums combined.

[/b]

Chip Chanko

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2005, 12:09:00 am »
also...wasn't it more around '96 that drown was a hit?

[/b]

alex

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2005, 08:05:00 am »
 was Drown a hit? it is by far the worst song on that album
It's also the most rock radio friendly tune on there.