Author Topic: The MLB Thread  (Read 629979 times)

Kubacheck

Re: The MLB Thread
« Reply #1590 on: February 22, 2016, 11:00:56 pm »
I wish the Red Sox could trade about 50 lbs of Pablo Sandoval's girth......

Not a single sympathetic nod out here in Giants land - all over the news with accompanying jokes.

that is just silly... I mean he was great for the Giants... so clutch... but I guess people forget how much he helped get those rings and just focus on the fact he took the money and ran... its human nature but not a particularly endearing trait..

as a Sox fan, I don't have to get hung up on that as it relates to Sandoval, he hasn't (and I honestly don't think ever will) helped the Sox do anything.... all his signing did was waste $19 Mil a year that could've been better spent elsewhere....

well, yeah.. agree with you.. I just was thinking of all the people in San Francisco Smackie was referring to...

which I actually agree with you about.... the dude DID help them win three WS titles, you'd think they'd have fond memories of the guy.... besides, IMO, he was just a serviceable player who had some super-human post-seasons and so they should be glad they managed to squeeze out of him what they did..... meanwhile, I just think of him as the bloated (in physical condition AND salary) weight that my team has to carry for the next four years.....

vansmack

« Reply #1591 on: February 23, 2016, 12:17:41 pm »
Jays working on a trade for Reds Jay Bruce. 

3-Team trade would send Michael Saunders to Angels.

Looks like this unraveled.  I would bet that it is Saunder's knee that's the issue - you don't show up to camp and get dealt the first day unless something was wrong given his injury history.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1592 on: February 23, 2016, 12:20:31 pm »
well, yeah.. agree with you.. I just was thinking of all the people in San Francisco Smackie was referring to...

Yes, and Red Sox fans are rooting for Jacoby Elsbury. 

And Nats fans will root for Harper when he's a Yankee.

And the list could go on and on....
27>34

Kubacheck

« Reply #1593 on: February 23, 2016, 02:49:14 pm »

it's not that you have to root for someone who has left for another team, but you don't have to hate them because they left..... I have no issues with Ellsbury.... I don't root for him to do well only because he's on a division rival, but if he was in the other league (like Sandoval is now) I wouldn't care at all.... but Sandoval was a huge reason the Giants have won 3 WS titles in the last 6 years because of his post season heroics, seems like the average Giants fan should think about him a little more fondly than just being pissed that he left.... this is merely my opinion....

hutch

« Reply #1594 on: February 23, 2016, 02:54:30 pm »

it's not that you have to root for someone who has left for another team, but you don't have to hate them because they left..... I have no issues with Ellsbury.... I don't root for him to do well only because he's on a division rival, but if he was in the other league (like Sandoval is now) I wouldn't care at all.... but Sandoval was a huge reason the Giants have won 3 WS titles in the last 6 years because of his post season heroics, seems like the average Giants fan should think about him a little more fondly than just being pissed that he left.... this is merely my opinion....

totally agree and could not have said it better...

shemptiness

« Reply #1595 on: February 24, 2016, 04:02:08 pm »
I have a feeling the qualifying offer is going the way of the dodo.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #1598 on: February 25, 2016, 11:38:35 am »
I don't have insider but I'm guessing 3 Tigers entries in top 10 and a 4th in 11-25?

Fist off, how is Josh Hamilton not top of that list?  $57m left to play for your division rival who beat you by one game to qualify for the playoffs?  Doesn't even make the top 25 and has left the Angels with no one to play a corner outfield position.  At least Pujols hit 40 HRs last season and played Gold Glove caliber 1B.

5. Miguel Cabrera, 1B
14. Justin Verlander, P
20. Victor Martinez, DH
27>34

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1599 on: February 25, 2016, 11:44:40 am »
5. Miguel Cabrera, 1B
14. Justin Verlander, P
20. Victor Martinez, DH
Thanks.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #1600 on: February 25, 2016, 11:47:57 am »
17. Ryan Zimmerman, 1B
19. Jayson Werth, OF

No Orioles on the list.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1601 on: February 28, 2016, 11:18:27 am »
Speaking of bad advice from an agent....

Ian Desmond signs a one year,  $8m deal with the Rangers.

That's a far cry from 7 years,  $107m.
27>34

Kubacheck

« Reply #1602 on: February 28, 2016, 11:45:13 am »
^ which means the Nat's gain an extra draft pick slotted in between the first and second rounds.... so basically with that one year deal, Desmond is betting on himself to have a big year and re-establish his value....

hutch

« Reply #1603 on: February 28, 2016, 01:36:41 pm »
well the Rangers specialize in roids so there is that going for him..

Kubacheck

« Reply #1604 on: February 28, 2016, 05:46:16 pm »
this is one of the few times where using the system in place actually cost a player some money, but you can bet the players (and agents) are gonna whine about how awful it is that he got so "little" because of the system in place as it relates to draft pick compensation... meanwhile, never mind about the 7 year/100 mil contract he turned down, he could have had a one year contract for 15.3M and been a free agent again next year (like he's going to be anyway) if he had just taken the Nat's qualifying offer a few months ago....