Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1314224 times)

nkotb

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #5145 on: September 26, 2023, 09:57:23 am »
No clue, and I'm getting too old for a drive to Philly and back.  Near as I can tell, the last time they played DC was in 2009.  I know they've played Richmond some, but they seem to have an annual date at Union Transfer...been 25th / 26th of September three years in a row at least.

Yada

« Reply #5146 on: September 26, 2023, 09:58:03 am »
My OSees story....

I used to be friendly with Paul Q in the late 90's and see him play in a band called Dean Swagger... That band transformed into Modey Lemmon... all of these years later Paul Q ends up as a drummer in in the Osees.

The End.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 10:01:07 am by Yada »

Space Freely

« Reply #5147 on: September 26, 2023, 10:06:42 am »
OSEES best live band on the planet.
why do they continually avoid the DMV

ok in 12 years there were have played 4 local shows, but nothing the last 5 years
Richmond in 2017 and 2012
black cat...in 2009
sonar 2011

but seriously, how can a band that has been touring and doing US/europe tours skip the dc area so much

Maybe the drummer is trying to avoid old friends?

Yada

« Reply #5148 on: September 26, 2023, 10:17:54 am »
OSEES best live band on the planet.
why do they continually avoid the DMV

ok in 12 years there were have played 4 local shows, but nothing the last 5 years
Richmond in 2017 and 2012
black cat...in 2009
sonar 2011

but seriously, how can a band that has been touring and doing US/europe tours skip the dc area so much

Maybe the drummer is trying to avoid old friends?

The drummer is a recent edition, but that made me chuckle.

nkotb

« Reply #5149 on: September 26, 2023, 01:10:41 pm »
I don't remember that Sonar show, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out why i would've missed that BC date and then it hit me: we were on Baby Watch.  Yet another thing my lousy kids screwed up for me!!!!!

black cat...in 2009
sonar 2011

bearman🐻

« Reply #5150 on: October 02, 2023, 09:27:32 am »
I'm nominating Slowdive for contender for best show of the year. I've seen some incredible stuff this year and had amazing adventures, but from a musical/artistic/growth standpoint, I'd make an argument that Slowdive aren't just peaking as a live act, but artistically they're still doing wonderful and relevant things. I can't stop thinking about how much I loved that show, and how I wish I could see them more than once on this tour. Highlights for me were "Catch the Breeze" followed by "Slowdive", but then the end of the main set with "When the Sun Hits" and "Golden Hair"...wow. That was breathtaking.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5151 on: October 02, 2023, 11:15:51 am »
I'm nominating Slowdive for contender for best show of the year. I've seen some incredible stuff this year and had amazing adventures, but from a musical/artistic/growth standpoint, I'd make an argument that Slowdive aren't just peaking as a live act, but artistically they're still doing wonderful and relevant things. I can't stop thinking about how much I loved that show, and how I wish I could see them more than once on this tour. Highlights for me were "Catch the Breeze" followed by "Slowdive", but then the end of the main set with "When the Sun Hits" and "Golden Hair"...wow. That was breathtaking.

thanks for that, bearman.  great review.  you might have knocked me off the fence.

question: how long did the openers play for?  for the show here next week, we've got doors = 7pm, show = 8pm - so Slowdive on at 9:00?  i should be able to make it there by then, but will have to miss Drab Majesty..
<sig>

« Reply #5152 on: October 02, 2023, 11:36:32 am »
it was truly a great show that I enjoyed immensely
I saw Bearman grooving hard up by food food
Since I was solo (and a little sideways), floated around a bit

Sound was perfect from almost every spot too
the last few songs were just epic
I would definitely catch them again, firing on all cylinders as a band

Not sure what the set time was, but when I entered around 11:40, they were already on
Didn't think I'd be late with an opener and 10pm (figured opener would play from 10:30-11:15 and SD would take the stage at 11:45)

no one was buying beer/drinks, merch was moving...

Do openers on late shows start earlier than regular shows?

« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 11:39:50 am by hanky/lanky-Hatchıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Vas Deferens

« Reply #5153 on: October 02, 2023, 11:46:36 am »
late show - openers on at 1030 usually (30 min after doors) so there's potential to miss them if show is sold out.

slowdive went on at 11:35 so you didn't miss much

quite possibly the best slowdive show I've seen....and they were loud in a great way. 930 sound is the best.

"Golden Hair" always deliver.......damn

annoying that there are people who record every damn song though....SMH.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 11:48:30 am by Vas Deferens »
(_|_)

bearman🐻

« Reply #5154 on: October 02, 2023, 01:42:12 pm »
Happy to see everyone chime in...I echo absolutely everything. 11:35 start time, LOUD as fuck compared to when I saw them 9 years ago. Drab Majesty played (I think) for 30 minutes. Very synth/goth 80's heavy. Sunglasses, blonde wigs, and they've studied from the Gary Newman/Ministry "With Sympathy" era based on the couple songs I saw. What keeps sticking out in my mind is how much Slowdive is picking up where Cocteau Twins left off. I saw them in 1991 on the Heaven or Las Vegas tour, and Saturday's show very much reminded me of how few bands can gracefully execute beauty and distortion and marry them so perfectly. Liz is more of a frontwoman with a presence than Rachel, but there's such a strong sense of Liz's melodic sensibilities and essence that lives on in Slowdive. Makes me happy to see how many Gen Z fans have attached to Slowdive and embraced them not in any retro sense...to me, that makes them feel contemporary and modern. And there were a handful of audience members who NEVER put down their goddamn phones. Is there a special workout regimen that keeps your arms from getting tired in order to do that? WTF.

« Reply #5155 on: October 07, 2023, 08:20:29 am »
Edit  this has been (poorly) updated...but doesn't match that set list NK posted?

really, they didn't play any songs?

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/guided-by-voices/2023/ottobar-baltimore-md-4ba32b0e.html

TIL supposedly what this means

what is your guess

Also confirmed they played as video footage exists
https://youtu.be/n6dQvZWXBF4?si=4taKBHks3Tn43lI-
« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 09:58:40 am by hanky/lanky-Hatchıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

nkotb

« Reply #5157 on: October 07, 2023, 10:10:44 am »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CyGI1ASOlwT/?igshid=MmU2YjMzNjRlOQ==
Do love they are keeping Dance of the Gurus on the set list, one of my fave of their most recent releases and back to the lake brings me to my happy place

Any count of High Kicks by bob?
slack

Frosty Finger

« Reply #5158 on: October 07, 2023, 10:14:01 am »
44 songs. Love to see Rally Boys there….

I hope they play DC sometime….I like the Ottobar but it’s a slog to get there for me and I am pickier about who I will do long drives for…..I guess their last DC show was only 18 months ago…

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #5159 on: October 07, 2023, 10:47:32 am »
It's a paper football going through a goal post.  Bee Thousand is "Pete Townsend" if you hold your tongue and say his name.

Edit  this has been (poorly) updated...but doesn't match that set list NK posted?

really, they didn't play any songs?

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/guided-by-voices/2023/ottobar-baltimore-md-4ba32b0e.html

TIL supposedly what this means

what is your guess

Also confirmed they played as video footage exists
https://youtu.be/n6dQvZWXBF4?si=4taKBHks3Tn43lI-